Seller threatening negative feedback if I don't leave positive feedback!

Would like some advice on this small dilemma, please.

Won auction, paid for item (clothing) immediately and received item in less than satisfactory condition i.e. wet from rain and  seller failed to mention top was Target brand instead of Stella McCartney. Not so upset about brand but the fact that seller charged $8 postage and sent item in a paper envelope (middle of winter in Melbourne) that cost $1.20. Emailed seller with concerns and asked for refund of $6 postage or total refund. Seller refused and said they would leave me negative feeback if I did the same to them.

Is this ethical? I thought it was impossible for seller to leave negative feedback unless I didn't pay? I feel an obligation to leave neutral or negative feedback to warn others that seller is making a profit from postage.

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I don't think sellers should leave feedback based on the feedback they received... I was once a bit surprised with a seller who was actually quite good, but when I left feedback I noticed the seller didnt' give me feedback and I really didn't understand the reason because the seller seemed to leave feedback for others. I almost felt guilty without knowing why... I thought: Have I done something wrong? Then out of curiosity I checked a couple of pages of feedback and I noticed that the seller only left feedback when buyers praised him/her too and not ONLY the item.... I had praised the item, but really didn't mean the seller was not good. You can only write a few words anyway...

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Also remember that if they are sending out items in incorrect parcel sizes Australia Post will send them the invoice for the correct amount that they will need to pay.

When AP will pick up parcel that is underpaid they will indeed recover the amount owing (plus fine) but if the seller did not leave return address they get the buyer to pay it before they release the article to them.

If this parcel was also underpaid, that is only another reason to leave NEG - although in this case it is quite possible that it was sent as a large letter, and if it was under 2cm thick and less than 125g, then it would go for $1.20.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Can someone help this 'bloke' understand something?

I looked at the listing and in the Item Specifics box it states Brand: Stella McCartney.  The OP says it is Target brand Stella McCartney.

So should the seller have put Target Stella McCartney as the brand in the Item Specifics?

As for postage, the listing stated it would be sent as a "Standard Postage (AusPost Regular Parcel" for $8.  I didn't think that $1.20 posted paper envelope would qualify as a parcel.

I would just like to clarify here.

Perhaps the seller was upset that the buyer dictated what they thought to be reasonable EG they asked for a $6 refund on postage or a full refund.

I see a lot of small sellers selling their items for a minimal amount and then upping their postage cost to compensate.

I do not agree with this practice, but it is their business at the end of the day and up to them how they run it.

Super_nova - I am well aware of the differences, my point simply being that an envelope is adequate protection for a letter / item, otherwise AP would start making us send letters in plastic.

Also the added increase in price to purchase plastic bags to inner wrap is something that a lot of sellers can not absorb, simply it would put the price of postage up, and may deter buyers.

Regardless of a location (Melb) or the weather they are having would have zero impact on how someone packages an item.

If it arrived wet, then this is definately something AP will address as they have a service agreement, otherwise we would all expect to get soppy mail everyday.

Do I agree with the sellers methods - NO - BUT had the OP have a problem then the correct course of action should have been taken IE Paypal Dispute.

If a seller sent a parcel under paid, this is nothing to do with the buyer as long as they get their parcel. To say that this in itself would constitute a NEG from you I find rather strange, as it is not our business to manage other's businesses and certainly not a buyers responsibility to make this determination.

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Hi leader-of-the-band,

I don't get it either. I think it is splitting straws, but again I am not a fashion guro, I would have just listed as the Seller did.

When purchasing clothing for my little one previously I purchased brands little Piping Hot - the Seller didnt put Piping Hot - Target, and it really made no difference to me where they got them from.

So I am a little lost on why this is an issue also.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

IMOP the seller listed with a different postage service ie parcel not envolope.

And as far as i am concerned posting a item in a paper envolope during winter without any other protection from the rain is poor form.

When posting something in winter i take that into account.,i would hate one of my buyers to recieve their item in a wet soogy condition. 

But thats me,turn it around 'how would you like your item to be packaged" & "what condition would you like to recieve your item in"

Its not hard to recycle packing materials,i am a very low volume seller but i manage it.

Even sending in a lage freezer bag from coles & then in a plastic 500gm pre-paid bag is easy & cheap.

I would not be bothered about the label in this case,1 half doz the other.

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

IMOP the seller listed with a different postage service ie parcel not envolope.

And as far as i am concerned posting a item in a paper envolope during winter without any other protection from the rain is poor form.

When posting something in winter i take that into account.,i would hate one of my buyers to recieve their item in a wet soogy condition. 

But thats me,turn it around 'how would you like your item to be packaged" & "what condition would you like to recieve your item in"

Its not hard to recycle packing materials,i am a very low volume seller but i manage it.

Even sending in a lage freezer bag from coles & then in a plastic 500gm pre-paid bag is easy & cheap.

I would not be bothered about the label in this case,1 half doz the other.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

an envelope is adequate protection for a letter / item

A Post Pak envelope is, as it either has bubble wrap padding, or is thick enough not to get damaged in the rain..

As I understand it, the item was sent in a regular manilla envelope which then got wet and damaged the item, proving that it was obviously not adequate protection for the item

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

I don't get it either. I think it is splitting straws, but again I am not a fashion guro, I would have just listed as the Seller did.

When purchasing clothing for my little one previously I purchased brands little Piping Hot - the Seller didnt put Piping Hot - Target, and it really made no difference to me where they got them from.

So I am a little lost on why this is an issue also.

Stella McCartney designed a range of cheaper designer clothing to sell at Target, this still carries the Target branding. Stella McCartney also has her own range of designer clothing which is not Target branded and you can't buy at Target..

The problem is, that while it was designed by Stella McCartney, it still has the Target branding on the tag..

Piping Hot is sold in Target but does not have a Target label.. Also, it shouldn't have mattered where you got them, as you can only buy Piping Hot in Target anyway, Stella McCartney has her own online store which is significantly more expensive than her Target range

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 29 of 29
Latest reply