Sellers cancelling sale on auction won

I have won a couple of auctions recently and the sellers have cancelled the sale afterwards saying the product is out of stock and then relisting for a higher amount. Is this allowed?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sellers cancelling sale on auction won

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not best selling practice but there is no way to force the sellers to send the item to you.

Just leave appropriate feedback and look elsewhre for the item.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not best selling practice but there is no way to force the sellers to send the item to you.

Just leave appropriate feedback and look elsewhre for the item.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Were they relatively new to ebay, or people who had done very little selling?

It is definitely not what is supposed to happen at all, it just puts buyers' backs up but as long as you have been refunded, then there isn't much else you can do about it, apart from leave negative feedback, which I think is warranted.

Usually it is new sellers who list an item at an unrealistically low price and then get upset when there isn't a bidding frenzy to send it up to what they see as an acceptable price. I suppose the one positive is if they have relisted at a higher price, maybe they learnt a lesson.

But they should have read up on basic selling conditions before they started listing. It's not that hard, it's what we did when we first started to sell.

Basically, most things on ebay these days don't seem to be auction items so when you do come across one, it might either be a collectable or else what I call to myself a 'home seller', rather than a regular seller, so you never know exactly how things will go.

But if they list, then it's their responsibility to follow through.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@cliffoshaz wrote:

I have won a couple of auctions recently and the sellers have cancelled the sale afterwards saying the product is out of stock and then relisting for a higher amount. Is this allowed?

Hi cliffoshaz. Sorry to hear that you were a victim of this.

Below is what happened to ra157

@ra157 wrote:

Seller Cancels Auction Sale After Item is Paid for. / Bargains Depend entirely on Goodwill

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Seller-Cancels-Auction-Sale-After-Item-is-Paid-for-Bargains/...

cliffoshaz., this shouldn't have happened to you and I believe that sellers who do this, well the repeat offenders should be banned.

You know, it's expected of  us buyers to pay up if we bid on an item and it gets plenty bis and pushes up the price. It should be the same for sellers who list an item at a low starting bid to arract plenty bidders and get them a pushed up price. They too should play the same game as we do and not sherk their responsibility.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@cliffoshaz wrote:

Hi cliffoshaz. Sorry to hear that you were a victim of this.

Below is what happened to ra157

@ra157 wrote:

Seller Cancels Auction Sale After Item is Paid for. / Bargains Depend entirely on Goodwill

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Seller-Cancels-Auction-Sale-After-Item-is-Paid-for-Bargains/...

cliffoshaz., this shouldn't have happened to you and I believe that sellers who do this, well the repeat offenders should be banned.

You know, it's expected of  us buyers to pay up if we bid on an item and it gets plenty bis and pushes up the price. It should be the same for sellers who list an item at a low starting bid to arract plenty bidders and get them a pushed up price. They too should play the same game as we do and not sherk their responsibility.

Buyers should also check what days rubbish bins are collected from sellersSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

My BBL is pretty huge with buyers that don't pay so if you say that it's expected of you buyers to pay then why haven't you paid lol

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

cliffoshaz, I’ll give you a summary to save you the time it will take to read the thread that 4channel has linked to (it’s a bit hard to read that thread now when following the link because of the way it is set out).

- ra157 posted that they won an auction and the seller promptly cancelled the sale

- many posts follow, with some are sympathetic while acknowledging that these things happen

- ra157 questions why those responders are still on eBay

- one particular responder is outraged that the seller isn’t honouring the sale

- ra157 questions more responders about why they are still on eBay

- a particularly inquisitive poster discovers that all is not as it seemed and there is evidence that supports the proposition that the seller ended the auction early . . . probably because they panicked due to the low bid with 10 minutes remaining

- ra157 and this other poster won’t have a bar of it and there are calls for the seller to be banned from eBay forever

- more posts along the lines of blah blah blah

That is it in a nutshell.

Spoiler
@4channel, very difficult to read that thread now due to the way it displays.  Hard to know who posted what etc
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

be the same for sellers who list an item at a low starting bid to arract plenty bidders and get them a pushed up price. They too should play the same game as we do and not sherk their responsibility.

Buyers should also check what days rubbish bins are collected from sellersSmiley Wink

The best you can do???  LOL

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

My BBL is pretty huge with buyers that don't pay so if you say that it's expected of you buyers to pay then why haven't you paid lol

Buyers who don't pay up deserve the same treatment as sellers who cancel auctions or don't want to go through with a transaction because the don't get what they want. They should be kicked off eBay for repeat offending.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Buyers who don't pay up deserve the same treatment as sellers who cancel auctions or don't want to go through with a transaction because the don't get what they want. They should be kicked off eBay for repeat offending.

I'm going to be the devil's advocate on that 4channel, becuase eBay itself can be partly to blame for that particularly with newish sellers when they try to encourage those sellers to start auctions at 99 cents, when there is often nowadays only one bid on an auction, or just a couple of bids.

Should they be kicked off eBay because they got caught a couple of times ?   I think not.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply