Sellers listing multiple items in listings to lure buyers into their listing

Sellers are using the feature of adding multiple items in 1 listing to lure potential buyers to view their listing.

Ie. I was searching for a branded iPhone cable. I arranged the search by lowest price, which I clicked the first one. But I had to select the item I wanted which isn't the lowest priced item I was searching for. The item that was the lowest price wasn't even in the title or description. Sellers are using the multiple items listing to just put there item to be first when searching.

My suggestion is, eBay should'nt allow different items within the same listing. It's confusing and sellers are using it to benefit themselves. 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Sellers listing multiple items in listings to lure buyers into their listing

That seems like I the buyer have to put in so much effort to search for an item I'm looking for....

And for your example, how would I know to add "-glove" to my search until I went into an auction and saw that the "dress" I was looking at was not the price reflected on the search....

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Re: Sellers listing multiple items in listings to lure buyers into their listing

eBay don't seem to want to address this. I imagine this is because it would cost them revenue even if it does annoy buyers. There are people who now avoid eBay because of this.

However I have a solution which I made but it is based on DaveInCaz and larsolafsimonsen's fantastic answers which I have used many times but no longer seems to work for me (possibly eBay changed the DOM as a mentioned suseptibility).

To remove listings with a price range (listing with variations):

1. Open up the developer console (F12 or right click > Inspect)
2. Click the "Console" tab
3. Copy+Paste the following and press Enter:

$('.DEFAULT').parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().parent().remove();

This is based on the eBay search results as at 15/05/2018. Listings with a price range have a span element between the two prices $xx to $xx with the class DEFAULT. This code looks up the tree to delete the node this came from. This will likely fail in future when eBay changes structure again.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Not sure you realise how old this thread is?

Anyway, there are easier ways - just don't click on listings that show a price range, or put in a minimum search price that is over the lowest amount in these listings, or is only a bit lower than what you would expect to pay for the item. I am not sure I explained this clearly but you will work it out 🙂

Latest reply

When you see a price range for an item that you are looking for that is WAY below the norm that should give you an idea.  Doesnt really take a lot to work that out.

For the sanity of regular posters it would be nice to not drag  up old threads.

Pretty sure the OP has worked it all out by now.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

i see these tactics, usually by chinese sellers.

i find 99% of the time if you scroll thru to where those ads end and you get the single item ads when you find the item your looking for its cheaper that the ones with the trick listings.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply