Sellers sending mobile to Australia, but didn't include Au plug

kwv42
Community Member
Why is it sellers of mobile devices say phones, knew they were selling them to an Australian buyer and yet they don't include Australian power plug and I had one seller claim it is not their fault and I had to pay extra for an Australian power plug.

And the latest phone I bought, the seller had included instructions what I think is in Spanish.
Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Sellers sending mobile to Australia, but didn't include Au plug

I'm surprised that you would chance buying a phone from overseas (china ?) when you're very unlikely to get a real warranty with it, and very likely to get a fake/refurbished phone.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

I guess it depends on what was being advertised, and where. If they were selling directly and / or exclusively to the Australian market, then it's reasonable to assume the item in question is compatible or compliant in Australia, unless stated otherwise. Some products may be manufactured / packaged with US compatible components, for example, and sold as is, sometimes with other country's peripherals as optional extras, but again ideally it would be stated if that were the case and the product is available in multiple markets.  

If they are listed on other sites and just show up in the search results on eBay AU, I'd be more inclined to presume they're compatible for that market. 

Buying electronic devices from overseas, if the info is not available in the listing, it's probably better to get confirmation of what's available and / or included, at least so there's no surprises down the road. 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

You're going well.

Multiple phones from overseas and you've got them all. And they work.

You are obviously paying less than you would here, so you have to accept the little inconveniences.

MY phone charges off a mini-USB. The one I got had a USB at the other end, with a 240v plug to attach it to, but I can plug the USB into any USB charger.

Why, though, would you expect overseas sellers to have easy (or any) access to Australian plugs. Which should be individually tested as meeting Australian standards. Unless they are a mass manufacturer, rather than simply a seller, that would be cost prohibitive.

Just use some of the money you're saving by not supporting the Australian economy and buy a legal plug.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Chargers are cheap is chips these days. Go and buy one. Problem solved.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

kwv42
Community Member
I am surprised, that some don't accept reality that "legal" plugs and mobile devices you buy in Australia, would be built in say China?

Also I guess the seller lied, when their eBay information claim they were in Australia?

PS Redmi note 5A you have to download a zip file for the Australian region, but this wasn't mentioned.
Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

kwv42
Community Member
But of course, mobile devices say phones and "legal" plugs you buy in Australia are manufactured right in Australia and not in China?

PS I thought this was eBay forums, not Whirlpool forums?
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

kwv42
Community Member
Would some be ok and won't do anything, if they bought a phone from say Telstra and it didn't come with all or the right accessories?

Well it is the same thing that happened to me and I say others.

You buy a mobile device, you would want it to come with all or the right accessories.
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

kwv42
Community Member
Happy Christmas to everyone and may your mobile devices that you buy in Australia from say Telstra or from a overseas seller through eBay, comes with all the accessories or the right accessories. ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ…
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

kwv42
Community Member
I guess the seller I bought my phone was based in say China.

Even those they post from Sydney Australia, they have Au in their eBay seller name and they have a Pty Ltd company.
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply