Selling broken garbage as working

btecau
Community Member

Hay i am starting to get a little sick of venders selling broken garbage as good working on ebay. the most recent purchase i have made (not the first time this has happened) I have purchased a 4 port 4gb fiber channel card. This was sold as working. the card that has been shipped is dead. no signs of life at all.

it was packaged poorly too. just wrapped in bubble wrap and paper no box or anything. card could easy be bent in postage.

This ends up wasting my time as a buyer because i purchase this card for a reason. i need this type of card. now i have to source it elsewhere.

Ebay is fast becoming a platform i don't want to interact on anymore because so far now in the last 3 months there has been some issue with the bulk majority of the purchases i have made. cases of sellers cancelling orders as "buyer requested to cancel order" down to products just simply not working at all such as this case.

this is very frustrating

Ebay needs to clean up this platform and remove sellers that are doing this.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Selling broken garbage as working

@padi*0409 wrote:

@btecau wrote:

And im an infrastructure engineer now. If something is listed like this especially for critical components like this. when it states it is "pulled from a working server" then that is said to imply that it is believed to be working.

But you said in your OP "it was packaged poorly too. just wrapped in bubble wrap and paper no box or anything. card could easy be bent in postage."

So it's quite possible that it was damaged in transit as well.

Using the MBG would be too simple for the OP.

They would rather write novel length replies.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@btecau wrote:

And im an infrastructure engineer now. If something is listed like this especially for critical components like this. when it states it is "pulled from a working server" then that is said to imply that it is believed to be working.

But you said in your OP "it was packaged poorly too. just wrapped in bubble wrap and paper no box or anything. card could easy be bent in postage."

yes this is entirely possible. however this is still on the seller to package the item being sent appropriately. to send a computer card by post with only bubble wrap and an anti static bag as protection without it being in a box puts fault of any damage exclusively on the seller not the buyer.

and i mean im happy to send this back to the seller but I don't feel that I should have to pay postage for a return to the vendor for something that wasn't my fault. if i had changed my mind thats another thing but I haven't changed my mind.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

@padi*0409 wrote:

@btecau wrote:

Using the MBG would be too simple for the OP.

They would rather write novel length replies.

as opposed to sellers who are to lazy to read them.

the reason your being obnoxious here is at the moment the platform is swung to sellers are getting away with this rubbish.

yeah follow "MBG" then send it back to the seller for replacement. no refund until it arrives. very easy for seller to say " sorry didn't get it" or " i was sent an empty box" that means i have not only paid for the card but paid to send it back and got nothing to show for it at all. or even the seller could say " got this back and it works here" there is nothing to verify the integrity of this process at all.

now dont get me wrong i have no issue with sending it back as long as i dont have to pay for it and that there is a guarantee that i get either a replacement card in working order or a refund.

as it is the vendor said "

I will go to the warehouse and test the server and check the install logs there is other cards in it so if the server and or the other adds have failed it is possible that’s the result"

not entirely sure what this actually means. is this an ok send it back i will exchange it or is this a im looking at the logs to see if there is a failure in the server. doesn't make much sense.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

I agree that working is working no ifs or buts but many here will spend there afternoon likely consuming alcohol and try and find ways to say otherwise. I don't drink alcohol so my answer is always the same and as an ebay seller if I say its working it means that. If I have not tested it I will state that and give warranty and if I get a buyer who takes advantage so be it I could not test it so that's on me.

Just put a claim in for not as described and they will pay return postage and also the postage to send to you. Keep details simple in the return. Maybe use a box  to return so they don't blame you for transit damage.

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

As long as you do the not as described correctly and I have never done one so I can't help but when I get one as a seller I have to refund the entire amount. 

I see many of theses sellers at auctions who sell used IT and electronics and have to say they are a different bunch. But then I know  they are thinking the same about me with the stuff I sell so it evens out.

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

It did not say it was fully working so that is the issue as we now know when something in the IT industry is working it does not mean everything was working. Only the parts that where being used are working and it is up to the buyer to guess which ones that might be. 

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

and i mean im happy to send this back to the seller but I don't feel that I should have to pay postage for a return to the vendor for something that wasn't my fault.

Correct. IF you use the MBG the seller is responsible for return costs for items that are not as described.

If you are an engineer I would have thought you'd be trained to pay attention to detail and be up with things like that, given your 13 years on eBay.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

It did not say it was fully working so that is the issue as we now know when something in the IT industry is working it does not mean everything was working. Only the parts that where being used are working and it is up to the buyer to guess which ones that might be. 

fair enough if i was buying the whole server. but im buying one part of said server so the expectation is that it is working.

so this thread has made me go back to the listing and confirm what was put there.

I note that it said at the top "used"

the ebay definition of that is as follows.

"An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections"

the key there is "its fully working unless described otherwise"

"pulled from a working server" is meaningless in this context in any case. it could be pulled from behind the couch or pulled from behind my desk. doesn't effect the functionality of the card one way or another.

To put that in is to say its expected to work. the used tag indicates its working. if its not working or unknown the correct condition to select is the maximum guaranteed state and that is "for parts or not working" because at best for a seller who has not tested the product that is the best guarantee that can be given without testing it.

"

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

"

so no matter what the argument is the expectation is that if it is not stated as not working and is under the used tag then the natural expectation is that is working.

to find loopholes in that or play mind games to justify otherwise is a waist of everyone's time

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Is the seller a business? Registered to sell cards? If so, you can go after the seller using ACL. However, as a recent story in the news shows, this can be frustrating and unproductive if the seller isn’t co-operative.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103593954

But why put yourself through that when eBay’s MBG offers a guaranteed outcome in cases like yours?

Open a case requesting full refund. (I would not accept a replacement offer on the “fool me once” principle.)

Seller must either provide you with a return postage label to send back the damaged non-working card via tracked means, and will be required to refund you in full (including original postage) upon the tracking showing it’s been delivered, OR can refund you in full without requiring the return of the item.

Make yourself aware of the timeframes. Open the request no later than 30 days after having received the item, and if you’re required to send back the item, you’ll be given a “send by” date by eBay. If the seller tries to delay and doesn’t accept the return and provide a postage label within 3 days of your opening the case (or issue full refund without requiring return), you’ll see an option to escalate/ask eBay to step in. 

If eBay step in, you’ll almost certainly be refunded without being required to return the faulty item.

Do not let the request/case/dispute hang around without escalation or resolution; it will in that case close after 21 days without resolution and without further recourse on eBay.

Make things easier on yourself; open the dispute and no further chitchat with the seller except as necessary within the dispute. Keep it simple, get your refund, and look for a more reliable listing that specifically states the item is working - that’s my suggestion.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Sorry my comment was for another poster who had commented on a previous post of yours. If the item was for parts not working then I would expect.

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply