Shill Bidding and Ebay Security Systems

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Ebay Support and their apparent lack of action to ongoing shill bidding activities from some sellers. I have reported two sellers (and bidders) to Ebay very recently. They have responded that they are taking action but in both instances the seller continues to operate with the shill bidder inflating sale prices and in effect defrauding the highest bidder (assuming it is not the shill). As this has been a longterm ongoing process with these two sellers, why hasn't the Ebay security systems picked up on such blatant fraudulent behaviour?? I now must question who are these sellers and do they actually work for Ebay? Otherwise, if they are independent, why has there been no action taken against them and why do they continue to operate in such a fraudulent manner??

Would appreciate other members feedback as I am new to these boards but a reasonably longterm on again off again Ebayer that is about to be off again for good as the trust in the Ebay systems is definately not there!! Thx  

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Shill Bidding and Ebay Security Systems

Hi eBayers,

You must be very careful about naming sellers ID's Nos.

You can actually be removed from eBay Discussion Boards or further action taken.

This is what we wondered about a long time ago, the fees; to relist an item again. In the beginning they were relisting an item within days, Now they pay the fee's to relist in approx 1-3 weeks. Not 2 or 3 items do they have in Stock, you would find it very hard to have a ring same size, same weight, same design, same listing in 2 nd hand. This happens with New Jewellery as they might have 6 of the same rings in a certain design, Not 2nd Hand.

What we can see is they are making enough with shill bidding to cover the cost of relisting. An Item might have sold previously for $200 but they make sure more like $400 on next listing. We even know the bidding ID's so easy to find out if you ahve been on eBay for many many years like we have. Feedback is another thing where you can folllow these Criminals, they even leave feedback for each other, then Same Item Relisted.

Shocking!!!

Just go to 18ct Gold Rings or 9ct Gold Rings, Auctions Queensland.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Wales, if you look at the date on the OP and subsequent posts you will see that the thread was started on the old boards and the requests for some method of identifying the sellers/buyers in the OP were quite legal at the time.  If you had not dragged it up again there would be no need for your warning about posting privileges being revoked.

Instead of spamming the boards with your story about shilling jewellery sellers you would do well to report it to the right ebay site and let them deal with it.  Complaints about ebay Australia are not handled in the Phillipines.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Hi Lyndal,

I am sorry that I have posted this blog about shill bidders & warning about giving ID's & No's at the wrong time. Honestly I am new to discussion boards & did not look at date just followed threads.

I am, not sure where your information comes from Reporting is not to Philippines??

Do have have any idea how so many of us have rang & rang to complain & always end up in the Philippines. 1 Long Term Seller is quite well know in USA eBay, so this is where she has been ringing constantly, after we could not have any sensible response from Security in Philippines.

In 2005 we would be connected to an office of eBay in Canada [Office was Closed}, not so now always to the Philippines??Australian Call Centre is Now Located Manilla in Philippines.

My whole idea was to alert Buyers to the Low Start Jewellery 9ct 18ct Gold, Auction Sellers in Queensland who are All Friends, and are using Shill Bidding constantly.

You seem to be getting away from the Subject "Shill Bidding" "Nothing Done By Security" is Rife with this group of Fraudulent Sellers?? And even though eBay USA call it Fraud [Felony the States call it] Nothing is done about it???

Where is the Security???

Every Agent in USA Has Confirmed that this is Blatent Shill Bidding with Pages & Pages of Item No's Given to them. These Same Items are relisted Constantly until they reach the highest Price.

Why do you think so many Honest Sellers of Excellent Jewellery are Now using BIN??

How can we compete against these Criminal Sellers with low start Auctions & Shill Bidding to bring their Bids Higher???

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply