Standard International Postage

3 weeks ago I bought Item number:280265136072 from the UK. By today I was starting to get a bit worried as it should have arrived by now. According to the listing it was sent by standard international postage.

I contacted the seller saying that the item hadn't arrived and I was getting a bit worried about the parcel, as usually parcels to me from the UK take about 2 weeks.

This is the reply I got
"I sent it using surface mail it does take quite a few weeks to get delivered the quicker way would have cost double postage as all uk postage price have changed its all about size and weight its mad not be worth buying stuff online as postage will cost more than items
sorry I cant give you a date but I am sure you will get it."

I sent a reply saying that it would have been nice to be informed that they were going to be sending the parcel via surface mail as according to Royal Mail, surface mail takes up to 12 weeks to Australia and they should have stated in the listing it was going to be sent via surface mail rather than air as to me standard international postage means air mail. I also mentioned that PayPal only give 45 days for a buyer to claim if an item hasn't arrived so sending it by surface mail defeats the purpose.

The funny thing is I would gave paid more postage for air but the seller didn't ask if I wanted to as they shipped it by surface mail.

What feedback would you give the seller in this case?
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You can start with a low rating for their communication DSR. Keep in mind that feedback can only be left for 60 days and a Paypal dispute can only be opened within 45 days after you paid if you want to open one. If you're lucky you might receive your item within 2 months but yes delivery can take up to 3 months.

TCT
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

My guess (from experience) is package will probably arrive in about 5-6 weeks:)

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

I'm sure this person only had your pocket in mind, you can only give this person a low rating for slow delivery if it arrives in good condition.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I would assume air mail as well. Maybe you should have contacted the seller to confirm the delivery details. Was there an expected delivery date in the listing?

Giving a seller a low rating for a service not provided by them is a bit harsh. I am pretty sure it is against ebay rules also, in regard to rating a seller on some delivery companies issues.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Open an INR with Paypal on day 44  - you have 20 days to escalate to a claim. If at that stage it hasn't arrived, you need to decide whether you trust the seller or not. If you opt for a refund, you can always resend the money if/when your parcel arrives. In my experience, surface mail can take up to 4 months from UK.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

Well I'll play the devil's advocate here and state the obvious... how do you know the seller has even sent the item at all?

Before you start worrying about feedback, you need to inform your seller that you will be lodging a dispute with Paypal after around 42 days, and that unless the item arrives within a further 18 days, you will be forced to escalate to a full claim in order to protect your investment. They won't be too happy, but that's no reason not to lodge a claim.

Tell them that you will be more than happy to repay the full amount if and when the item finally arrives, but if you don't do as I've outlined above, you run the risk of losing both your money and the item (assuming it doesn't arrive in the interim).

I've been in a similar position twice before, and both times I lodged Paypal claims just within the cut-off period, eventually escalated and was refunded by Paypal. One of the items finally arrived some 4 weeks later, so I happily repaid the seller (who was extremely grateful), while the other item either went astray in the mail, or was never sent in the first place.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Have to agree with cq,  you need to protect yourself, just as the seller should have posted in a manner to deliver in a timely manner to prevent a dispute being opened, an honest seller will understand, I imagine you will see the parcel in about 12 to 13 weeks, you can repay for the item then.

If in doubt, leave no feedback, FB has nothing to do with the ability to get your money back,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I already told the seller that if the parcel doesn't arrive in 45 days I will have no option but to lodge a PayPal dispute, because of the fact that Royal Mail state that it takes up to 12 weeks, twice the length of time for a PayPal dispute. If the parcel doesn't arrive by the 29th of June I will open up a dispute.

I don't know why the seller decided to send it by surface, especially as I paid by PayPal, surely they would have realised that surface post takes along time, and is not good especially if the buyer has to end up making a PayPal dispute to cover themselves because the parcel hasn't arrived.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

It's very unfortunate that your seller has apparently tried to do the right thing by you as far as postal costs are concerned, because you really have no choice other than to open an INR dispute on or about June 29 and they should have realised this. BTW, don't forget to escalate to a full claim within 20 days from June 29, or it will automatically be closed by Paypal.

The right thing would have been for them to email you first and tell you that the price quoted was for surface mail, not air mail, then to ask if what they had planned was OK, or would you prefer to pay the extra for air mail (even though you had no obligation to do so), and if it was too expensive, they should have offered you a mutual cancellation there and then.

By not doing so and simply assuming that you'd be OK with surface mail, they've left themselves wide open for an INR dispute which you cannot possibly lose, so they now have to rely on the fact that you are an honest person and will reimburse them once the item has finally arrived.

One thing's for sure, I doubt your seller will be making the same mistake again. :^O

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply