Seller claims to have sent 2 items, only recieved one.

I purchased 2 different items from a seller, I only received one of the items in the package. When I explained this to the seller I did not get a response. So I opened a case with eBay. They then told me they sent both items in the same package and updated the open case with a tracking number which stated the items were successfully delivered.

I'm guessing I'm out of luck here because there is no way for me to prove I didn't receive one of the items and as far as eBay is concerned, they were delivered successfully... Do I just leave negative feedback and accept the loss?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Has your case actually been closed or are you still waiting for an outcome?

You cannot prove that an item is missing, but they cannot prove that they put two in your parcel either.

Not sure what eBay does in such cases.

It is basically not as described, so they should help you:

What determines if an item is "not as described"?

A "not as described" item should be significantly different from what the seller described in the item listing.  This includes:
  • different item or version;
  • wrong condition (e.g. the listing stated the item was "new" when it's clearly been used);
  • missing parts or components (e.g. a listing for a camera kit stated it would include a tripod, but it's missing);
  • defective during first use (e.g. TV didn't turn on);
  • counterfeit item;
  • missing major parts or features, and this wasn't mentioned in the listing; and/or
  • damaged during postage.

I just got an item that is not what I bought too this morning... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You can open a dispute in paypal for Item Not As Described, which is what you should have done in the ebay dispute.

The seller won that case because he had tracking showing that you received an item from him....but it was not as described.

You may be asked to return the item that you received and will get a full refund for both items or the seller may negotiate to give you a partial refund.

Edit.......Do NOT open the paypal dispute if the ebay case is still open or both will be closed and they cannot be reopened.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Should have opened INAD case rather than INR.

As suggested open a case in PayPal if the eBay one is closed.

image host
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Totally agree but for the seller to come out and produce a tracking # after a case was opened to me suggests that this seller did in fact only send 1 item and does know how to play the game of ripping buyers off.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

wholesale - ninja

Are there any other comments in seller's f/b pointing to a similar thing?

Whatever you do - you'll probably loose this one!

And leaving a neg would be a waste of time (seller most likely knows that too), as it would be removed as soon as you leave it - as they have  technically "won" the case by proving trackable delivery.

Opening a case with PP will most likely have the same result - again, due to the tracking that seller can provide.

The only thing that may help you is even a shread of eveidence in the seller's past record that they have done it before - and if this was a deliberate  action this time - chances are they have done it before.

Or, is there any sort of weight involved here, something to show the parcel was lighter than it should have been?

You'll also have to somehow overcome the fact that Ebay or PP will simply not believe you, for the simple reason that (I'm just guessing here) there are hell of a lot more buyers with this sort of claim than sellers doing it. Claim that they have received less than they should have - and I don't know about PP, but Ebay requires an eye witnessed afidavit, at the time of opening the parcel, and or photos to support the claim that nothing was in the satchel or items were not all there.

I hope the cost of the missing item wasn't in the $100'ds.

Best of luck, and give it a go by all means!

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

I think Lyndal summed it up.

If you opened a case for item not received and if that has been closed in the seller's favour, you can still move on and open a new case in ebay for item not as described.

That one, you might win.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

@retrogamestoreau wrote:

I purchased 2 different items from a seller, I only received one of the items in the package. When I explained this to the seller I did not get a response. So I opened a case with eBay. They then told me they sent both items in the same package and updated the open case with a tracking number which stated the items were successfully delivered.

I'm guessing I'm out of luck here because there is no way for me to prove I didn't receive one of the items and as far as eBay is concerned, they were delivered successfully... Do I just leave negative feedback and accept the loss?

Hi Wholesale Ninja, sorry to hear of your dilemma. Hopefully it can be resolved in your favour. If you still have the wrapping, lay it out with the item in the middle of it and take a photo and send it to your seller.

Please hold off on the negative until you've exhausted all your options. If nothing doing in your favour then you know that the experience has been a negative one and should be recorded as such.  I have dealt with some sellers who are basically straight but when they make a mistake, some of them don't like to take responsibility for it.

I hope you get it sorted.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Springy, the OP cannot open another case in ebay.....it has to be paypal this time.

If the ebay case had been changed to a not as described case before it was closed then that would be OK but it is hard to open a new case.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

wholesale - ninja

Are there any other comments in seller's f/b pointing to a similar thing?

Whatever you do - you'll probably loose this one!

And leaving a neg would be a waste of time (seller most likely knows that too), as it would be removed as soon as you leave it - as they have  technically "won" the case by proving trackable delivery.

Opening a case with PP will most likely have the same result - again, due to the tracking that seller can provide.

Why should the OP lose this case?

The original case opened by the OP was wrong and the seller won it because they had a tracking number proving that the OP did receive something.

The case should have been Not As Described and there is every reason to believe they will win this one.   The seller may be elligible for paypal protection but in this case the OP should be reimbursed by paypal.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply