The Importance of Scrutinizing Seller Information

Recently, I was looking at an Argyle pink diamond on eBay being offered for sale by a vendor based in Thailand.

The certificate displayed was issued from a large, reputable organization. So far, so good. I went to the website of the certifier and punched in the ID number and sure enough the certificate was displayed. Still all good...until I noticed that information about the fluorescence noted on the certificate on the website of the certifier was missing from the certificate displayed by the vendor on eBay...

Then I noticed spelling and grammatical errors in the disclaimer located at the bottom of the certificate displayed by the eBay vendor. Mistakes that this large, reputable diamond certifier would be very unlikely to make. I concluded that this was quite probably a photograph of a fake certificate. 

Buyer beware.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: The Importance of Scrutinizing Seller Information

Indeed - not off topic - you actually brought up the topic of returns & refunds.

You are educating no-one - as this could & does cover everything sold on eBay.

As far as denigrating genuine sellers - good grief.

Those genuine sellers are at risk of having an item returned - which wasn't the item they sold - nor the item they sent.

The most sensible thing to do when wanting to purchase - and I don't mean ' bargains ' - is a reputable auction house - or - reputable dealer in gems - or - a reputable jeweller.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Family member has a gorgeous pink sapphire. If I were looking for a pink stone, I might go down that route rather than a pink diamond, primarily because with the latter one is paying for rarity and perceived status as much as for the quality of stone - and I would want my money to pay for quality (including beauty) above all.

There’s no denying the intrinsic beauty of Argyle pink diamonds – that’s not the issue. And … yes, domino, I’d want to see it in person before spending that much money on a stone.

Pearls are more irresistible to me than diamonds, though.

This!

When I was young, a diamond was considered essential in eg an engagement ring, but these days I look at them in shops and they don't move me at all.

On the other hand, the pink argyles at the right of sterling's chart (eg 2PP & 2P) are gorgeous, as is that BL3, the violet one.

I'm not really one though for wanting expensive jewellery.

When it comes to gemstones, I like garnets as much as diamonds. I never realised there were pink sapphires either.

Sterling, I woulddn't mind seeing the occasional post about gems and how they are graded.

I have to admit to being like domino and countess though in that I'd probably head to a retail store if I wanted to buy any. Online shopping is fine but retail shopping has that element of fun.😀

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I couldn't agree with you more. Lots of people just love the bricks and mortar retail experience. And when you're paying $100-$125k for a half decent APD, many people want to see the diamond up close, talk to their spouse or friend and get their opinion, etc. Then there are others who are buying loose stones purely as an investment, so buying from one of the reputable online businesses suits them.

This business has been around for quite a while. I've heard nothing negative about them. The APDs they sell are worth a king's ransom, but that's the reality insofar APDs nowadays. 🙂

https://www.australianpinkdiamonds.com.au/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8pKxBhD_ARIsAPrG45lrcWYIWb_Lce...

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. This thread is getting a little off-topic. Could we please bring the discussion back to the topic and remember to keep the conversation civil and respectful. Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply