Time limit on faulty item

I bought a set of milled brake and clutch levers for my motorbike, which i'm happy with and work well they are articulated and will fold up as well. This was three months ago. However I went to fold one up a couple of weeks ago to take a photo of it to show someone and it would not budge, I have since discovered that there is a small fault in the manufacture.

I wrote to the seller and they asked for photos which I sent them but have not heard back since. As the levers are modular and come in three separate pieces so they are adjustable, it turned out that I only need a small part of one lever to be replaced.

As the seller has not responded after asking me to send photos I am now wondering if I have any recourse through ebay regarding getting them to replace the damaged part. I am not looking for a refund. This would be a very low cost option for the seller but as it was bought in mid march I'm not sure if I have any ebay solution. Had I not attempted to photograph the object I likely would still not be aware of the fault.

tl;dr is it possible to ask ebay to step in after 4 months seeing as the item was actually faulty although not a fault that came to light until recently?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marwi5023
Community Member
The only option you have is PayPal. I'd call them. Have all the transaction details on hand
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

There's actually no option via eBay or PayPal that can resolve an issue with repair or replacement parts, as they are pretty much designed to be all or nothing (that is, any dispute resolved in your favour will require you to return the item for a full refund).

You're able to open a PayPal dispute requesting a partial refund, eg to cover the cost of repair or replacement, but the seller will generally have to voluntarily agree to issue the refund.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

sea.breeze, I suspect that you will be out of luck, unless the seller is local (in Australia), in which case you would presumably be relying upon Australian consumer law, and a manufacturing fault that comes to light within three months should be covered.

eBay states that the eBay Money Back Guarantee is not intended to be used in place of a product warranty, and I think PayPal may have the same view.

If your seller has ceased to reply to you, it may be that the asking for photos was to delay you until the timeframe for you to lodge a dispute passed. You now mention "4 months" have passed, so ... I think expecting your seller to assist of their own will is truly a dead horse.

You might as well try the PayPal dispute route. You'll lose nothing by trying it, anyway.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

this is a situation caused by ebay policy where the buyer arrumes they have rights.  The goods were not faulty when you recieved them which means the item became faulty with use by you.

question is...  wether you mis handled the item or the manufactor made the mistake.

the seller is under no obligation in any way shape or form to reinbursh you or replace.

your beef is with the manufactor  who did not sell to you and is untouchible by ebay or paypal.

your only recourse is to return the item to the manufactor either direct or via the seller and it is the manufactor who decides what they want to do.

even then unless you bought the item with a warrenty or filled in the warrenty card and sent back to manufactor you don't have a chance.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

OK thanks for the replies.

except for @bloodlust_03, who has completely not understood the post and has therefore replied incorrectly.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply