US sellers inflating shipping for LP Vinyl buyers in Australia.

The price of shipping for LP's from US sellers is outrageous.So many US sellers are also inflating or not using the service you pay for.Everyknows that Australia post is the most expensive in the wrold but that is within Australia.

Dont these sellers know that people know how to use the USPS website!

There are still many US honest LP sellers,who do NOT inflate shipping costs,i say search them out and use them

And vinyl buyers make sure you leave NEG if a seller does use the service you paid for.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: US sellers inflating shipping for LP Vinyl buyers in Australia.

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No need to post more than once...have a look at the answer on your other thread.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I belived it needed to be a thread on its own,not just a comment to someone else's woe's.I wanted to know what other vinyl,LP buyers thought.I dont belive they would have found my comment in that thread thanks.

But your answer i'm not sure how this works.

Are the sellers not just getting their prices from the USPS?or is it some eBay app ?Can you please elaborate?You"re help would be  appreciated.

cheers from OZ

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I don't know prices or LP Vinyl, but are some of the sellers using that Global Shipping Program?

Because that really pushes the postage prices up and except for the fact they got conned into using it cos eBay told 'em it was a good thing use it, they don't control the costs of that.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I was not referring to your numerous posts on other threads but the thread started by you with the same information.

As I said on that thread, instead of ranting about sellers who overcharge on postage you need to see if they are using the Global Shipping Program.  It is the most expensive and slow service ever invented by ebay to hinder international sales by sellers in the USA.

When a seller uses the GSP they send the item to a processing facility run by Pitney Bowes, where the items are repacked (often very badly) and the paperwork is prepared for international shipping.  Pitney Bowes ships by Priority Mail or Priority Express mail because it is trackable and gives the seller full protection in the event of a dispute and full insurance.

Needless to say Pitney Bowes charges fees for their services, which when combined with the most expensive services that the USPS has to offer, makes for very expensive shipping to Australia.

The GSP was marketed to sellers as being fully trackable and insured, and easy for them as they did not have to worry about the paperwork.  They were not told about the extra costs to the buyer and most of them are none the wiser until told by the buyer.

I recently gave an example of what has happened to me.....I bought from a good jewellery seller who posted items to Australia for US$5.00 (a subsidised rate, but not a lot below what it was costing).  I was watching a pair of earrings when I noticed that he had opted into the GSP and the shipping price had suddenly gone to US$65.00

I have spoken to several sellers who admit that they were never told of the very high charges that their buyers were being hit with.

Some will still post direct to Australia by First Class Mail but they are becoming more rare as ebay continues to push the GSP.

So before you sound off at the sellers, check if they have been conned into using the system and perhaps ask will they ship by a cheaper service.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

iandru
Community Member

i don't know about vinyl but i do know the price for postage from the US has gone through the roof in the last 12months and not just on ebay one company i order stuff from asked if i wanted to cancell my order because postage had gone up 40% on the last order i had placed with them

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@iandru wrote:

i don't know about vinyl but i do know the price for postage from the US has gone through the roof in the last 12months and not just on ebay one company i order stuff from asked if i wanted to cancell my order because postage had gone up 40% on the last order i had placed with them

Yep!!,sounds like another victim/seller that has gone/conned into the GSP

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

It's still pretty simple.

P+P = Acceptable, buy.

P+P = Too much, don't

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Not really that simple Dave as the final charges are not always immediately available.  You have to commit to buy before the final PB amount comes up.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

My bad.

I will only ever buy from one US seller, ex-eBay, so eBay protection doesn't apply, so PB also doesn't. It can be slow - my last purchase took over a week (just) to be delivered. We trust each other, so protection doesn't come into it.

The value of customer servoce, on my seller's part.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply