Using the 'Return This Item' option...

I just received a blu ray that was described as in 'excellent condition' but most definitely is not. I contacted the seller and he said to send it back as per their 7 day return policy. I clicked on 'Return this Item' and put the details in.

The seller responded through eBay messages and not the dispute telling me to send them the Blu Ray at my expense. They have not accepted the return through the system and responded via messages as 'apparently' they were unable to answer via the dispute. What do I do next? I don't think they will be sending me the postage label for return and I don't want to be out of pocket for their error. It's not a change of mind issue.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Open a dispute for item not as described and escalate to a claim as soon as the system allows

Let ebay help you out if the seller is refusing to pay the return postage for their error.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Put in an 'Item not as described' claim with eBay.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/sr?query=1735&st=7

If the seller wants the item back they'll have to pay return postage, not you.

EDIT: Beaten by 14 seconds LOL

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why on earth did you open a dispute in ebay when the seller had already told you to send it back?

The seller now has a defect and is highly unlikely to do anything more than he is forced to do to help you.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I read it as the OP saying that the seller has not accepted an item return after telling buyer to send item back at their own expense.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

The OP said that the seller told her to return the item as per their return policy so she promptly opened a dispute without even clarifying whether the seller would pay the return post.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@digupatin wrote:

I read it as the OP saying that the seller has not accepted an item return after telling buyer to send item back at their own expense.

I think so too - if the seller keeps it just between him/herself and the buyer via eBay messages, whether he eventually covers the return postage or not, and nobody clicks on anything in the Return Item process, the whole thing drops off after 30 days and no defect is recorded.

I know this because I had a lady recently messaged me wanting to return an item (her error), and also clicked on the Return an Item button because she thought that's what you had to do to cover yourself. As we had already sorted it out (happily), I phoned eBay because I was anxious to avoid a defect for something that the buyer had admitted was her fault.

EBay's advice was for both of us to ignore prompts to close/complete the process and in 30 days it would all go away without defects, and this is exactly what happened.

If the seller knows this, and can keep it all out of eBays MBG or Return process, the same will probably happen.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Thank you Digupatin! Yes, the seller wanted me to pay return postage, mentioned in both of his messages to me. I opened the Return this Item as he did not want to do the return the right way. What's to say that I send it back and he says he never got it? I have read on these boards to not do it without going through proper channels as this could be an issue.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@angel*jen wrote:

Thank you Digupatin! Yes, the seller wanted me to pay return postage, mentioned in both of his messages to me. I opened the Return this Item as he did not want to do the return the right way. What's to say that I send it back and he says he never got it? I have read on these boards to not do it without going through proper channels as this could be an issue.

If you are ever to return an item to a seller - always send it with tracking/signature on delivery (regardless of who pays), and only ever to the recorded Paypal address. Anything else and you're not protected.

Marina.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Marina, I shall definitely do that. I am concerned though, that sending it back at my expense will mean I am out about half of the item cost. It's a $12.00 item....

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply