WARNING! Possibly CARCINOGENIC Aluminium Silicate insulation being sold on ebay as safe!

Everywhere wherever I read online I found that when I searched under the term of "aluminium silicate" was deemed non-carcinogenic. However what I didn't realize at the time and after buying the substance, and installing it in my car without breathing protection. and need I remind everyone that the seller didn't provide an MSDS sheet either. I realised that this substance is scheduled as a class 1B carcinogen.

I am now hoping that I don't develop lung cancer and I'm going to notify ebay of the seller just before posting this message.

Alumino silicate wool (ASW) is the same thing as aluminium silicate.

Why didn't I pick up on it sooner? the wikipedia page for aluminium silicate says nothing about its carcinogenic abilities, you have to dig a little deeper into the knowledge of the substance by doing a google search of "Aluminium silicate composite materials" to know that it is the same thing as ASW, and when you look up ASW and the EU rating of it, then and only then do you realise that its carcinogenic class 1B.

Look up "aluminium silicate wool" on wikipedia.

Then lookup "mineral wool" and skip down to "Types".

Then type into your browsers address bar: "imgur dot com forward slash a fwdslash YdDvo9h"

Then type into your browsers address bar: "imgur dot com forward slash a fwdslash y3JE2kG"

I must say for the record that developing cancer has put a rather dim view on buying things off of ebay in the future. I guess I had better keep my hopes up.

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: WARNING! Possibly CARCINOGENIC Aluminium Silicate insulation being sold on ebay as safe!

@4channel wrote:

BTW: Aluminium is very toxic.

Qualifiers and / or context are needed for statements like these, particularly when you consider people consume aluminium on a daily basis - we are trying to avoid unnecessary panic based on partial information here, ideally.

Aluminium is in the air your breathe, in the food you eat, and the water you drink, which is hardly surprising since it is the most common metallic substance on earth - maybe that's why humans have a 100% mortality rate, though? Smiley Surprised (It occurs naturally in, and is also added to, lots of consumable products, eg potatoes, spinach, pharmaceutical products like aspirin and antacids, etc Do I recommend breathing in aluminium dust, or chucking aluminium sprinkles on your next birthday cake? Of course not, but there'd be very few people - if any - who don't consume aluminium). 

Message 31 of 77
Latest reply

Re: WARNING! Possibly CARCINOGENIC Aluminium Silicate insulation being sold on ebay as safe!

@digital*ghost wrote:

Qualifiers and / or context are needed for statements like these, particularly when you consider people consume aluminium on a daily basis - we are trying to avoid unnecessary panic based on partial information here, ideally.

Ah digi, never let the truth get in the way of a good "story".................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 32 of 77
Latest reply

Hello everyone, 

Please remember to make sure all your comments are within the Discussion Board Policy Guidelines. Failure to do this may result in your comments being removed.

You can review the guidelines here.

We appreciate everyone contributions to the eBay Australia Community and thank everyone for making in a friendly and welcoming place for all users.

regards, 

Luna-2304

Community Moderator

Message 33 of 77
Latest reply

oh no!  Not fair!

@shadytree

I looked at this thread earlier this morning and saw a post of yours where you referred to me as “genius” . . . . . but now it is gone!  We aren’t allowed to discuss removed content . . . . . so I will confine my comment to this:

Thanks for upgrading me from pea brain to genius.

Message 34 of 77
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@4channel wrote:

BTW: Aluminium is very toxic.

Aluminium is in the air your breathe, in the food you eat, and the water you drink, which is hardly surprising since it is the most common metallic substance on earth - maybe that's why humans have a 100% mortality rate, though? Smiley Surprised (It occurs naturally in, and is also added to, lots of consumable products, eg potatoes, spinach, pharmaceutical products like aspirin and antacids, etc Do I recommend breathing in aluminium dust, or chucking aluminium sprinkles on your next birthday cake? Of course not, but there'd be very few people - if any - who don't consume aluminium). 

No qualifier needed as it's a widely known fact that aluminium is highly toxic.  Yes, it's in a lot of things and if and where it ocurrs naturally, it's at a level where humans can deal with it as their bodies are designed to.  The trick is to avoid it as best one can and reduce the exposure.  There are Asprin tablets that don't contain Aluminium. There are also antacids that don't as well. Avoiding acidic drinks in Aluminium cans, using aluminium free anti-perspirants and buying non-fluoridated water ((Some flouride comes from the aluminium-smelter waste, some from the waste from the fertiliser ind.)). Also limiting vaccines to just the necessary ones that may aid with fighting off the real life threatening diseases (((Some vaccines contain aluminium, some contain mercury or formaldehyde))). Also with cooking, using an alternative to baking powder and  using stainless steel cookware instead of aluminium is the way to go. Smiley Wink

A.. o.. o. t.. b...... w... b. a.... s...!

Message 35 of 77
Latest reply

As long as they are not being worn tin-foil hats are completely harmlous and I thought it may be best to clear this up.

Message 36 of 77
Latest reply

@4channel

A.. o.. o. t.. b...... w... b. a.... s...!

W... t.. f... !!!!!!

My head hurts.

Message 37 of 77
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

No qualifier needed as it's a widely known fact that aluminium is highly toxic. 

Everything you wrote after this is (something of) a qualifier, and I maintain it's required when making statements like "aluminium is highly toxic".

For a start, there's a difference between a substance being toxic, and a substance being able to cause toxicity. 

Would you say oxygen is highly toxic, based on the fact that oxygen toxicity is possible? 

Message 38 of 77
Latest reply

digi, I decided to check out some other common substances we are exposed to . . . . . and found that water can kill me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I’m going to have to stop drinking water, especially out of aluminium cups!

Message 39 of 77
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

digi, I decided to check out some other common substances we are exposed to . . . . . and found that water can kill me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I’m going to have to stop drinking water, especially out of aluminium cups!

Pretty much everything is toxic to humans if consumed in high enough doses, or the wrong way - that's where Darwinism kicks in, I guess....Or maybe Blake was right (“The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom...You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough.”) Smiley Wink

Just to bring the anti-vax movement back into it, since vaccines can contain aluminium etc, I've seen an exchange numerous times where someone said "if vaccines were healthy, you could put it on a spoon and eat it - try it, you'll die!" [seriously no idea what logic that is based on, but that's by the by....] to which the response is "if broccoli is so healthy, you could put it in a syringe and inject it into your bloodstream - try it, you'll die!" Smiley LOL 

Message 40 of 77
Latest reply