Warranty - dodgy tactics

Ill try and get this right.

Some sellers are either delaying to get outside 45 days. Or after 45 days are simply refusing to honour their warranty.

This is apparently not a violation of ebays rules. So as a buyer you can't do anything. You have no recourse.

Most sellers are fine. I buy a fair bit of stuff from china and have only one issue.
Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Warranty - dodgy tactics

Yes dodgy tactics been there done that , I bought a really expensive headphones and usually I dont like buying an expensive item from over seas however this company assured me  that the item had a 12 month warranty , it stopped working after 3 months so they said thats fine please post it back and they will eithere replace it or repair it  , it cost me about $40.00 registered post to Britain then after a few weeks  I emailed them and asked why they havent done anything about it , mind you they only emailed meback  after I asked a few times , weeks went by with me keep asking why they havent done anything and they kept saying they havent got the faulty item back so I had to get proof from Royal Mail and Australia post with evidence of its delivery and a signature yes I did that and they still did nothing , I couldnt claim from paypal eithere , the amount of stress loss of my money , have you ever called ebay help desk for an important issue ?  Anyway my advice is only buy from overseas if you are ok with a loss if anything does go wrong .

Nothing to do with either ebay or Paypal-if you funded your Paypal payment with a credit card,contact your bank ASAP re a chargeback.

Message 51 of 60
Latest reply

OP, did any of the below apply ?

For following situations, the item is out of free warranty

Damaged caused by: misused, improper installation and so on man-made fault

Warranty seal removed or damaged

Opened or repaired by unauthorized person

Message 52 of 60
Latest reply

note the wording Free warranty

Message 53 of 60
Latest reply

Mr Hawk also seems to confuse advertising with a buying and selling system. 

If you bought an item at an auction house, then yes the auction house has certain legal responsibilities.  An auction house is a far better analogy to eBay.

Not really, auction house accepts the item, they value it, and decide how to advertise & list in their catalogue.  So yes, they have responsibilities.

However eBay just provides the website & tools for anybody to place their advertisement; the seller designs/composes their page.  eBay has no control, no way to know if the listing is accurate or not, no way to force seller to do anything other than what PP protection provides. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 54 of 60
Latest reply

mitty_2010 you could have contacted the UK Trading Standards (a bit like Fair Trade) to see if they could help you.

The parcel would not be held at customs, that isn't how it works in the UK. If it was sent AP then it would probably go through without any charge and if there was duty to pay then the parcel would be held by Royal Mail at the recipients nearest mail centre and the duty would be paid there, if the customs form was correctly filled in with the returned goods box ticked there would be no duty or tax payable anyway.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 55 of 60
Latest reply

webster4514
Community Member

i am haveing same problem bought industrial blender only used 5 times but company says only parts warrenty and as we dont know the parts they cannot do anything. We really need a way to be able to rate these sellers after the sale as this product is still for sale on site.

Message 56 of 60
Latest reply

i am haveing same problem bought industrial blender only used 5 times but company says only parts warrenty and as we dont know the parts they cannot do anything. We really need a way to be able to rate these sellers after the sale as this product is still for sale on site.

You are buying from some of the worst known sellers on ebay & if it was the private item in December from the seller who you have previously purchased from in September who you also purchased from on one their other ebays ids in September,then I'm not surprised.

Message 57 of 60
Latest reply

quote:

If you bought an item at an auction house, then yes the auction house has certain legal responsibilities.  An auction house is a far better analogy to eBay.

I hate to say it but, ebay Is a 1000 times safer than buying at a legit auction house, items at auction are 99% sold as is with, no reprocuctions, next time you go to a auction, check out their policies mate. even a house auction, is good for that, you purchase the house then find termites, and the house condemmed, your stuffed.

buy a bobat, go to load it engine seized, your problem now.

your trying to fight an international battle, mate, australian laws and regulations don't match china's, so yeah, we can ban sellers from other countries, hey I wouldn't complain, I don't buy much and perfect as I'm a local seller.

but a 1% error rate, mate, in allowable risk, you have more chance of crashing your car, driving to the shops, to purchase it local.

Message 58 of 60
Latest reply

mens_choice_ladies_lingerie
Community Member

If your buying outside of Australia you don't have leg to stand on if they don't come good with Warranty, but if it in Australia.

It is called consumer Affairs.

This is how many dole bludgers get caught out selling on the side on eBay as well.

Win, Win for the buyer trying to do the right thing. 😉

Message 59 of 60
Latest reply

trifstar
Community Member

Thar's fine if the seller is in your State and sometimes may work if the seller is not but is in Australia.

Small claims tribunals have no authority over overseas sellers and in fact as eBay is not an Australian company, they have no authority over eBay. There are many legal precedents proving this. Companies have taken both sellers and eBay to court over the selling of fake Tissot and other well known Swiss watches, Ray Ban and many other "brand"  sunglasses and mostly fake fashion items and in all cases have been unable to stop the practice because there is no International authority who has any legal right to prosecute in complex cases like this where the actual manufacturer/seller is based outside Australia (usually China) and the third party allowing them to trade is also based outside Australia .

The same applies in the case of warranties.

The reality is that in most cases, the items being bought on eBay are available in Australia at reputable outlets for either less or not much more than they are sold for on eBay because people seem to assume that it will be cheaper on eBay and don't bother looking here. Most phones etc which appear cheap are old models and where they are the current model, there is ALWAYS someone here selling them cheaper - even if they may be on sale, you'll find they're always on sale somewhere and with the net, they're not hard to find.

The moral seems to be twofold - a) you generally get what you pay for and b) eBay has become so big that they have become a law unto themselves with no independent arbitration and a vested interest in keeping their biggest sellers happy as they are generating millions worldwide for them. It is not a safe place to buy if you expect to be able to rightfully claim on a warranty once the initial feedback period is over.

Message 60 of 60
Latest reply