What to do if the product description is missing information?

Hello

I bought a laptop battery from a seller and after using it for a week - noticed that it died after 2 hours.

I thought it was faulty, so I opened a return with ebay to return the item and get my money back.

However the seller says that's all it's designed to do - hold charge for 2 hours.

Nowhere in the entire product listing does it say that it only lasts for 2 hours - if I had known that, I would never have bought it. T

What can I do in this situation if the product ad is missing important information about the product? Can I ask for a refund/return? If so, who would pay the postage?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Is this from the seller in Hong Kong?

I have no idea what the battery is REALLY designed to do, but thank goodness it just died rather than catch fire

Very, very risky thing to buy from Hong Kong

It would have been dodgey as from the get go, even it it did hold charge

You only mention asking for a return but did you also open a not as described case?

Personally, I would stop trying to go via the seller, they are only going to string you along and then make false promises about sending you another battery (which they won't)

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Hello

The seller is Australia based which is where I live. 

A laptop battery is like other batteries - allows portable use of the laptop without having to plug it in so you can use the laptop on the go. Laptop batteries generally last a minimum of 4 hours before you have to charge it again.

I opened a 'item is defective/faulty' case with Ebay as at the time I thought the battery was faulty. I didn't realise it was 'working as described' because it wasn't described in the ad.

I don't know how to change the return now from 'faulty' to 'not as described'. 😞

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

When you look at the seller's feedback, where does it say they are registered ?  A lot of Chinese sellers will claim that their items are located in Australia when they are not.

You shouldn't need to change the dispute as "faulty" is "not as descibed" anyway.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

You're right - it says 'hong kong' in the feedback section. I didn't realise they could do that 😞

How can I escalate the claim so Ebay sorts it out? It says "If you have not agreed on a solution or the seller has not responded by 28 Nov, 2020, you can ask us to step in and help." Do I just have to wait?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, you have to wait till the date specified by ebay.

You have to give the seller time to respond.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@deku-nuts wrote:

How can I escalate the claim so Ebay sorts it out? It says "If you have not agreed on a solution or the seller has not responded by 28 Nov, 2020, you can ask us to step in and help." Do I just have to wait?

Yes, you wait until the 28th to escalate, when you escalate do not close the case until you are completely satisfied with the solution, some sellers wil claim they can't refund until you close the case - that's a lie, if you close the case you cannot reopen it.

Also, if they say you have to return it to Hong Kong, get onto "live chat" and tell them what's happening, that the item was claimed to be in Australia.

Edit. G'day lyndal, slow on the typing today.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Yes, you wait until the 28th to escalate, when you escalate do not close the case until you are completely satisfied with the solution, some sellers wil claim they can't refund until you close the case - that's a lie, if you close the case you cannot reopen it.

Also, if they say you have to return it to Hong Kong, get onto "live chat" and tell them what's happening, that the item was claimed to be in Australia.

Edit. G'day lyndal, slow on the typing today.................

If I have to return it, would I need to pay the postage fee or would the seller?

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The seller. But as they aren't in Australia, they can't provide a shipping label unless the return address is in Australia. If that transpires you would have to rely on them being honest. A long bow, but don't count your catastrophes before they happen.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Hi All

Update:The seller tried to refund $5 but I instead asked for the full refund price - so they want me to mail the product back first before they refund me the product price + postage fees. The postal address is in victoria.

Is it normal to retun an item and then receive the refund? I feel like they could say 'it got lost in the post...' Am I being paranoid?

Thank you.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply