What to do?

semlon
Community Member

I paid for and "purchased" an item before 5.30am.     I got a message just under an hour later saying thank you.

More than FIVE hours later, I got a message saying the item is not available and saying they would help me to cancel.

This is unacceptable as it seems the item either did not exist or did but was sold to someone else AFTER I paid. (there has been no contact by the seller since to say what happened or on anything) and since the item is a battery charger and I had already purchased a battery elsewhere, I will not be able to use the battery now (and I would have gone elsewhere).

I am NOT going to request to cancel on principal 

The money should have been refunded immediately to my account as cash so I could use it again.

I want to bring this up with Ebay (for them to examine if the same item WAS sold to someone else AFTER I paid.

This is not huge money but I am more likely going to have to consider it as theft.

I guess there is no way to contact Ebay over this yet?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

What to do?

Oh yeah I lost brain cells trying to reply. I was genuinely trying to help/ provide advice. But this guy is to hell bent on victimizing the seller and which hunting the buyer.

Its clear OP was **bleep**, what he meant could of easily been taken out of context and I'm sure he didn't mean it in the heat of the moment. My point was the seller stuffed up, stop criticizing the buyer when they have done nothing wrong. They keep us in business.
Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@11dustyattic wrote:

Well yet again, another topic completely taken over by you

Another observation from yourself that is both inaccruate and pointless.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@danieh_6 wrote:
Oh yeah I lost brain cells trying to reply. I was genuinely trying to help/ provide advice. But this guy is to hell bent on victimizing the seller and which hunting the buyer.

Its clear OP was **bleep**, what he meant could of easily been taken out of context and I'm sure he didn't mean it in the heat of the moment. My point was the seller stuffed up, stop criticizing the buyer when they have done nothing wrong. They keep us in business.

Sometimes stuff goes out of stock.

Most buyers can deal with it with a least some degree of maturity. Some unreasonable buyers come of here and make ridiculous accustaions and demands. If you want to defend such behaviour, go ahead, but I'm happy to point out silly behviour where I see it.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@tazzieterror wrote:

@danieh_6 wrote:

Most buyers can deal with it with a least some degree of maturity. Some unreasonable buyers come of here and make ridiculous accustaions and demands. If you want to defend such behaviour, go ahead, but I'm happy to point out silly behviour where I see it.

It's not silly behavior. It's a forum where people come to vent their frustration, quite often when emotions are running high. It helps them to talk it out. Their 'behavior' doesn't have to be perfect. Pot kettle there

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

Emotions aren't much help - when you are trying to get help.

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@semlon wrote:

I paid for and "purchased" an item before 5.30am.     I got a message just under an hour later saying thank you.

More than FIVE hours later, I got a message saying the item is not available and saying they would help me to cancel.

This is unacceptable as it seems the item either did not exist or did but was sold to someone else AFTER I paid. (there has been no contact by the seller since to say what happened or on anything) and since the item is a battery charger and I had already purchased a battery elsewhere, I will not be able to use the battery now (and I would have gone elsewhere).

I am NOT going to request to cancel on principal 

The money should have been refunded immediately to my account as cash so I could use it again.

I want to bring this up with Ebay (for them to examine if the same item WAS sold to someone else AFTER I paid.

This is not huge money but I am more likely going to have to consider it as theft.

I guess there is no way to contact Ebay over this yet?

The seller definitely has not done the right thing by you on a couple of fronts.

But what i suspect is they were probably out of stock, rather than selling to someone else.

However, they have tried to put one over you by saying they will 'show you how to cancel'. What an absolute cheek.

They are (most likely) out of stock but they want YOU to cancel so they can fly under the radar and avoid any defects on their account, which is what can happen if THEY cancel too many of their own sales.. They haven't refunded because they are waiting for you to cancel so it looks like it is all your doing.

You've got a right to be peeved. An upfront seller would cancel and refund immediately they knew they were out of stock or whatever.

In this case, you have the right to do absolutely nothing. There is no onus on you to cancel. This will make the seller either cancel himself & refund or lay himself open to an item not received claim.

If he does nothing, then if I were you, I'd open an ebay item not received claim the second I was able to, which would be straight after the estimated due date passed. Get your money back that way.

And I'd give appropriate feedback.

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@11dustyattic wrote:

It's not silly behavior. It's a forum where people come to vent their frustration, quite often when emotions are running high. It helps them to talk it out. Their 'behavior' doesn't have to be perfect. Pot kettle there

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Nothing like an out-of-stock battery charger to get the emotions running high! Smiley LOL

Of course it's silly - the entire premise of OPs post is silly, but my favourite part (and I know I've highlighted it before) is the refusal to go along with the cancellation, and then accusing the seller of theft!! It's just nonsense, emotional or otherwise.

If this were coming from a 4y.o. you'd call such behaviour a tantrum; from an adult, it's just sad.

But if you and others want to make a stand for tantrums, go for it.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@springyzone wrote:

They are (most likely) out of stock but they want YOU to cancel so they can fly under the radar and avoid any defects on their account, which is what can happen if THEY cancel too many of their own sales.. They haven't refunded because they are waiting for you to cancel so it looks like it is all your doing.

In this case, you have the right to do absolutely nothing. There is no onus on you to cancel. This will make the seller either cancel himself & refund or lay himself open to an item not received claim.

Geez Springy, I thought you'd been around long enough to know that a buyer CAN'T cancel. Only the seller can cancel. Therefore, the seller can't "fly under the radar" because they are the only one that can cancel. If the seller chooses to do nothing, then that's their problem, but even if the OP wanted to, they can't cancel the transaction.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@domino-710 wrote:

Emotions aren't much help - when you are trying to get help.

Emotions are vital. You must be rivetting to be around. Emotionless people are boring, tiresome. Fortunately for them they don't know what they're missing out on 😉

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

What to do?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

Geez Springy, I thought you'd been around long enough to know that a buyer CAN'T cancel. Only the seller can cancel. Therefore, the seller can't "fly under the radar" because they are the only one that can cancel. If the seller chooses to do nothing, then that's their problem, but even if the OP wanted to, they can't cancel the transaction.

Accept the cancellation 

Or is this you being ironic? 

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply