Why are Sellers charging so much for pre loved clothes I can now safely go back to some stores.

Do Sellers not realise their prices are creeping up to be not worth the dollars, Ebay is for bargains, new items

are priced over the top, I think you are all getting greedy like the stores use to be, but now I can shop

for items in store cheaper than on Ebay, sometimes they are not presented well (not ironed) and I rarely buy

from anyone with under 99%, it is not worth the anguishing will I get the goods or not.

When someone is watching an item, offer a reduction in price to get it sold, I maybe old but not stupid I see

prices of items in store, someone buys them on sale but still asks 10% more than the original price.

Sellers you are getting lazy and unrealistic, do your homework.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why are Sellers charging so much for pre loved clothes I can now safely go back to some stores.

I still buy a lot on Ebay, I am about 2 hours from shops and I still log into Ebay every day, I have met some wonderful people and certainly with all my things lost to fire I had quite a cross section to buy and found so much to buy, but I refuse to go over a certain price I know what it is worth, I try to buy from the same people, I obey the rules and pay within 24 hours, I always pay to trace item, but to charge $50 for a preloved garment is over the top, I wish they would all put *Best offer* but I was just making a point, calling it as I see it.     

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I often ask myself the same question nowadays.

Today I purchased a dress from a big department store (David Jones) that was less than 1/3 of the price it is currently listed on eBay!

Yes eBay used to be a great place for bargains but so much these days ....

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

I only sell second hand clothes in auction format and after taking all the fees into account it is just not worth selling anything for less than five or six dollars, anything that is in pristene, as new condition I will ususlly start about $7.99. The vast majority of my auction tems sell on first listing so obviously I am not asking too much and it is entirely up to you if you wish to bid or not but as long as my sell through rate is maintained I have no intention of listing clothes for less. Of course all my clothes are well displayed and described with measurements given so I think I deserve to make a couple of bucks for my time and effort, if you don't then shop elsewhere, perhaps the op shops however I find I can see things cost more for far poorer quality than anything I have bought or sold on ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Hard to comment on specific cases and I don't really review pre-loved clothing but, some of the pricing increases you've noticed may be due to increases in postage costs from Australia Post (as of 1 April) and the introduction of Final Value Fees paid by the sellers now applying to any postage charges whereas these fees only used to apply to the item price itself. 

Just a suggestion.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

So, why are you still looking and complaining. Just don't buy them. Go to Target, Kmart and Big W and buy your stuff.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

After the Black Saturday fires when I lost everything including a 40 year collection of clothes I wanted to replace

some of the labels I had you can do that on Ebay but not anymore, and yes I go to those stores now and thank goodness

with one foot in the grave I don't have to look too special, but I was able to get my Arzberg dinner set here, but this

buyer has to go to other places now, when Ebay was one stop shopping.

Good luck with your life.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

@alexajames001 wrote:

I often ask myself the same question nowadays.

Today I purchased a dress from a big department store (David Jones) that was less than 1/3 of the price it is currently listed on eBay!

Yes eBay used to be a great place for bargains but so much these days ....

yes perhaps you did but a large number of eBay buyers are not able to pop into a David Jones / Myer or any other department store to pick up a bargain dress in the sales.

for buyers living remotely, or in smaller country towns, eBay is a blessing, they dont have to wait for their 4x a year trip to the ''big smoke'' to shop.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

@helsblock-2008 wrote:

Do Sellers not realise their prices are creeping up to be not worth the dollars, Ebay is for bargains, new items

are priced over the top, I think you are all getting greedy like the stores use to be, but now I can shop

for items in store cheaper than on Ebay, sometimes they are not presented well (not ironed) and I rarely buy

from anyone with under 99%, it is not worth the anguishing will I get the goods or not.

When someone is watching an item, offer a reduction in price to get it sold, I maybe old but not stupid I see

prices of items in store, someone buys them on sale but still asks 10% more than the original price.

Sellers you are getting lazy and unrealistic, do your homework.

Not worth it for who? 

It's great to only look at things from one perspective and draw a range of conclusions, but one must accept they are mere assumptions that don't take the full range of actual facts into consideration.

Of course sellers realise their prices on eBay may not be wholly attractive in comparison to what some stores price their items at, but did you know clothing now attracts the highest FVF from eBay? It costs more to sell a dress here (percentage-wise) than it does an item in many other categories (presuming the seller has a store). 

Not so long ago, eBay charged less than 6% of the sale price only, and that went down the higher the price of the item was. Now they charge as much as 9.9% - without any reduction - on the entire sale price, including postage costs, which continues to rise every year as well. 

Just because a seller is charging more, it doesn't mean they're getting more in their pocket. Often, they're getting less, but just need to make sure they get enough. That's not greedy, it's trying to hang in there.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

eBay fees have gone up and in the past 12 months the ebay fee also applys to postage. So sellers have to increase their pricing to cover this price rise. Plus increased postage rates.

People shop online for many reasons. But more and more are shopping online for convenience.

Great example would be Woolworths and Coles. Their online sales are increasing very well, which I though was amazing.. as they actually CHARGE MORE online compared to their store price (reason: someone has to pick your order).

When purchasing everyone should look around and check pricing. It will not always be cheaper online.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

I strongly disagree that ebay is only "for bargains"...

I am able to find my favourite discontinued lines of perfume and some colours of lipsticks, size & range in clothing etc that I unable to get in any store.

I really dont care what I pay, if I want it and can afford it I am having it lol.

You are taking a very narrow view of ebay today. 

Your comment of "greed" &"laziness" is grossly unfair as most Sellers margins are very tight & it takes a lot of time and effort to provide  quality items, excellent service & customer care.

A few inconsiderate Sellers who dont bother to present or package their items well is not an indictment of the entire ebay Selling community as you have asserted. 

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply