Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller

I bought a part for a dishwasher (I'm big on environment)  from a seller. The seller took 9 days to take the item to the post office (it was not that it took 9 days to arrive, he lodged it only 9 days after the day he was supposed to lodge). It arrived much later.

My initial query (as it was to have arrived in 3 days) was not answered.

I sent subsequent queries asking if he'd posted and he didn't respond.

After several messages, his response was "I was overseas" (presumably China)..... Then I asked him how he managed to skip isolation requirements if he'd just returned..... after a few more emails, and having been caught lying he became very abusive.

I left a negative feedback (the first negative in 10 years I might add), for his rude attitude, which I mentioned in the feedback. None of my messages violated any eBay policies, but his did.

After a few days, he left a dishonest feedback response. After a few more days, I found that eBay had removed my feedback but let his feedback response stand. 

Question: How can buyers trust eBay feedback when true feedback that is well within the eBay policies is removed?

I contacted eBay and they said that due to "Covid 19" they were giving sellers a chance in respect of postage delays (although the delay was not in the postage, but with the seller lodging the item). I said the feedback had been as the seller had been quite rude and after going through the messages they agreed. Not being vidictive I asked if they could remove his feedback response which they did.

However, I am really disgusted by eBay removing an honest feedback which would serve as a warning to future buyers.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does eBay remove a negative feedback left for an abusive seller

I hear what you are saying. Without being able to see the actual feedback though, it is hard to judge exactly why it was removed. I guess if one of the ebay reps thought it was abusive, that might do it.

To me, it doesn't sound (based on your story) that it should have been removed but I think sometimes these reps make the wrong decisions. At least the seller's reply has also gone.

I think the seller was clearly in the wrong here and was lucky to have a neg removed.

First off, if the  estimated delivery date was only 3 days, I would at the very least expect it to be lodged in that time. At the moment, I would not expect it to arrive in the time frame, but it is perfectly reasonable to expect a seller to post in their stated time frame. The handling time could not possibly have been 9 days or more if the ETA was 3 days.

So your seller was slack.

Secondly, he almost certainly lied to you about being overseas. As you point out, international travellers are now in quarantine for 14 days and not at their own home either. But whicj\hever way you swing it, the seller was in the wrong here. If he had been overseas, he had no right selling a product that was located in Australia and one that he personally planned on posting. There is no way he could possibly have hoped to honour the terms of the sale. And if he really was in Aust all the time, it was a stupid lie-better to have just apologised for the delay.

Lastly, if a seller intimates they have been in China, it is not racist to say they have been in China. Or anywhere else for that matter. The fact is, from the sounds of it, that it was meant to be a domestic sale and the seller, no matter what nationality he was or where he was located, should have been in a position to have the item posted in time-if not by himself then by someone else.

Probably a bad call by the ebay rep to have removed the neg but these things happen, luckily mosr sellers are better than that.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

1. Being personal can have feedback removed rather than talking about the transaction.

2. Also mentioning a case or refund can have feedback removed.

I am guessing it was removed based on number 1.

image host
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

So what was the seller's handling time?  If he posted within that timeframe you had no issue but you went out of your way to try to make him look like a liar.

I am not surprised at the seller's reaction to your badgering.

And racism is not acceptable....how do you know he went to China.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Oh so clever, or at least it seems you think so, lets see how long it takes the mods to find it.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Yeah, not half obvious was it?

Re OP:

From what you have written, it *sounds* like you hounded and hounded until he snapped

You also say honest feedback should remain to serve as a warning to others BUT you leave false positives

It is lucky the eBay rep who looked at that feedback did not spot those false positives you have left and sanction your account

I'd also to be curious as to what the handling time was

The China comment just makes you look bad

And the very very poor attempt to 'hide' the naming and shaming so you could break forum rules 

Yep, sure is one sided that the seller is the one in the wrong 

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

So what was the seller's handling time?  If he posted within that timeframe you had no issue but you went out of your way to try to make him look like a liar.

I am not surprised at the seller's reaction to your badgering.

And racism is not acceptable....how do you know he went to China.

Just got back from overseas, that would be a lie

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

I did not attack him personally.
Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

He lodged it 9 days after he was supposed to. Never let me know he was overseas until I asked him. How is this racism? Is travelling to China racist? You are showing hate...
Also he's told me later by email that he'd been overboard and I presumed it was china based on another message he sent.
He was a liar... I've got it in writing.... I didn't go out of my way to make him look like a liar... He lied.
Thank you for your hate.
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

It's removed. However now he features in a blog along with all the correspondence... search if you are interested.
Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

I think so.... an he got ruder when I pointed it out.
Message 10 of 25
Latest reply