Why does postage change from the search to the actual listing?

Hello all, 
I was wondering why it is when I am searching anything from over seas and whilst just in the search it will come up on the side "So much for listing and then put it in Australian dollars) but when I click on the actual listing the postage has totally changed yet the item cost hasn't. 
It happens in every single listing I am looking at. 

For example I am searching and it may say $10 postage and then list it underneath in Aus dollars and I think that's great so I click on the listing and the postage changes to say $16 with Aus dollars under it. 

I don't understand why this is happening? Even in my watch list it's the same. 

Anyone know why this is happening. Thanking you kindly 🙂

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Someone must know please 😄

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

@playfulkacheeks wrote:

Someone must know please 😄

I suspect only ebay knows for sure.... but I've noticed it happening on US listings if the seller is using the Global Shipping Program (noted in search results with "Customs services and international tracking provided". Other listings not using the GSP seem to have the shipping prices remain consistent from search results to listing page.

If you haven't looked into it as yet, the GSP is a program for US sellers where they ship the item to a US company (Pitney Bowes), who then ship the item to you. The postage rates can be quite high, and are supposed to include any customs charges that would be payable (when you view the listing, you'll see two separate charges in the postage section, one for postage, and one for import charges, which should be at $0.00 if the combined value if item and postage is under $1000). My guess is that for some reason, the full calculation for postage is not being done until someone clicks on the listing. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Yes I think it is with GSP. It's really annoying as you think the postage is really good and then you go to the page and it's totally different. I think this is something ebay needs to fix as it's a hick up with their site. 
You are right, postage is really high with this option. 
Ebay please look into this as scrolling or saving the auction to your watch list has the postage totally different than when you click on the person's actual auction. It needs to be fixed 😄

Thankyou digital*ghost 😄

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe not so much a hiccup, as a let's give the Global Shipping Program a little help. It has been that way since inception. A lot of people buy then are incredulous at the costs involved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

It should be addressed though. It's not right you see one price for postage whilst in the search engine but then click on the auction and there is quite a difference in the actual postage of the auction. To me this is something that ebay needs to address as it is misleading. Very actually.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Just found out the seller's do ship their items to where you mentioned and they have no idea what the postage is. Infact two asked me what they charge as it doesn't come up for them. I think from what they say it's just a much easier option for them when sending over seas although they also believe ebay should have the correct amount in the search colum, not just on the listing. Seems it's just automatically calcualated for the seller. 

What I don't like though is if anything you buy is sent Priority through this company (most things are) you have to pay there and then to secure the item. You cannot pay the next day even. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

easiest way is to STOP looking at items on ebay USA

plenty of good Aussie or UK sellers on ebay, for get the useless USA GSP sellers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@playfulkacheeks wrote:

What I don't like though is if anything you buy is sent Priority through this company (most things are) you have to pay there and then to secure the item. You cannot pay the next day even. 

If you have to pay immediately it will be because the seller has set up the listing with Immediate Payment Required.  It has nothing to do with the GSP at all. 

I have waited as long as 3 days to pay for a GSP item while the seller was answering some questions about another item he was selling.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

easiest way is to STOP looking at items on ebay USA

plenty of good Aussie or UK sellers on ebay, for get the useless USA GSP sellers

Ha.  If only it was that simple, but it isn't.  Circumstances and availability often dictate where to buy from.

For general items I try to buy local.

For stuff I collect that originated in the UK, that is the best place to look.

For stuff that I collect that originated in the US, THAT is the best place to look.  It also applies to some craft items made in the US.

Of course there are plenty of good Oz and UK sellers - the problem is they don't always have what you are looking for.

As for the GSP - naturally I wouldn't buy from anyone who insisted on using it.  THAT's a no brainer.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply