Why does seller need phone number ?

Yesterday I purchased something for the grand sum of $1.49 + $2.50 postage. (buy int now)  It took me ages to complete the Paypal transaction, eventually I seen why, the seller requested my phone number before the transaction was complete.  My question is:  Why does a seller need my phone number, especially for such a small sale?  I could understand if there was a minimum sale amount, but for a whole $1.49?  If I could have cancelled the sale I would have done.  I am not happy being forced to give out my phone number. They have my email address, they could message me via ebay, they have my postal address, I just don't see why they need a phone number for such a small amount.  Maybe ebay need to look at setting a limit of say no phone number  requests, unless an order is of a certain amount. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Why does seller need phone number ?

@sna-4293 wrote:

eBay does not let members give contact information to one another. By letting sellers require a phone number on listings, they are violating their own terms.

That statement is incorrect, after a buyer commits to buy an item they can exchange contact details with the seller.

Sellers, if they have an anchor store, are allowed to post their phone number in the listing.

Please don't post misinformation, and please stop dragging old threads up - the person you replied to hasn't been on the boards since 2013 and first opened this thread in 2012.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 11
Latest reply