Why does seller need phone number ?

Yesterday I purchased something for the grand sum of $1.49 + $2.50 postage. (buy int now)  It took me ages to complete the Paypal transaction, eventually I seen why, the seller requested my phone number before the transaction was complete.  My question is:  Why does a seller need my phone number, especially for such a small sale?  I could understand if there was a minimum sale amount, but for a whole $1.49?  If I could have cancelled the sale I would have done.  I am not happy being forced to give out my phone number. They have my email address, they could message me via ebay, they have my postal address, I just don't see why they need a phone number for such a small amount.  Maybe ebay need to look at setting a limit of say no phone number  requests, unless an order is of a certain amount. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Once you have had a transaction with any seller they can access your phone number by doing the request for contact details anyway.

Some buyers ph numbers show when they purchase depending how they have it set.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with the cost of the item and everything to do the location of the seller and/or the method of posting.

Most overseas sellers require a phone number, and local sellers using couriers also need a phone number.

Why is it a problem?  You have already registered your number with ebay and the seller can access it that way, so why make it difficult for them.

It is quite probable that you will never hear anything about it again.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If you don't want anyone you are in a transaction with to now your number then ebay isn't the place for you. All the other party has to do is request your contact details and ebay will send them your number.

As a seller can tick a box requiring a buyer to give their phone number during the payment process it is obviously within ebay policy and allowed. Not particularly unusual either if it is from overseas or the seller uses a service other than Aus Post.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I have come across this also. I think it was a purchase from China.  I spoke to eBay, who told me that some countries, or carriers require it, so I went ahead and put it in.  I've had no problems since.  I figured it really was no big deal.  Anyone can look me up in the phone book if they wanted to anyway.  I have an account with JB Hi Fi and they always request a phone number.  I think it is just an alternate way to contact you if need be.  After all, it is harder to ignore a phone call than an email.  My advice, don't be concerned over it, just give it to them if you want to buy from them.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

DEAD THREAD !

TCT
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

H
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yeh I thought i would come here and say, thanks ebay, now some overseas so and so's have my number and wont stop calling, I block it and they ring on a different, obviously using the net not an actual phone.... stop giving our number out to ppl, especially 0 feedback users.... I've only ever given this number to ebay.. not even FB.

This is my personal phone **bleep**..
This isnt right.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

You are not contacting ebay here....the boards are run by volunteer members.

If you have given your phone number to ebay any seller can get it.

If you buy from overseas sellers many of them need you number to be able to post your item.

And please do not drag up geriatric threads to post nothing of any value to the discussion.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

sna-4293
Community Member

eBay does not let members give contact information to one another. By letting sellers require a phone number on listings, they are violating their own terms.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply