Why were my discount vouchers cancelled on 31/12/2018 and not on 01/01/2019 per the conditions?

vheve
Community Member

I had 2 vouchers due to expire tomorrow as stated in the conditions, but today they have disappeared from my summary page (when the summary page actually shows instead of the purchase history) and are no longer valid at checkout.  P5OFF & PERCENT5 I believe.  Did I misinterpret the eBay conditions? I had not used the vouchers for the transaction limit and they both appeared on my summary screen yesterday 30/12/2018.

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Why were my discount vouchers cancelled on 31/12/2018 and not on 01/01/2019 per the conditions?

@sam22312 wrote:

Understand your thinking RE:$500, but i have a message via eBay from the seller saying if i use the stated code I'd be only paying $475.

So them saying that is in effect a lie.

Key word *IF* - but you didn't.  Not the seller's fault, and they haven't lied.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 51 of 61
Latest reply

Re: Why were my discount vouchers cancelled on 31/12/2018 and not on 01/01/2019 per the conditions?

@sam22312 wrote:

If i go through with the transaction, i will get confirmation of it being an AU model first anyhow.

Have you or have you not bought the phone?

If it is in your Purchase History then you have bought it....end of story.   You do not decide now to ask if it is an Au model.   That should have been done before you bought it.

The seller could not have known any more than you did that ebay was going to pull the code early.....you really should not be blaming the seller for your predicament.

Message 52 of 61
Latest reply

I guess i am a little skeptical of sellers on ebay these days.

I previously bought a new tablet that was all fully advertised complete with the total tablet specs, in both the title and description.

There was a small line of added small font text that i did not notice stating, the advertised tablet may be substituted for a different model.

I ended up getting my cash back but only after i got eBay disputes involved.

My reasoning was then, I could advertise a 65" TV for say $1000, state all the specifics of the TV, but in a small text line say, TV may be replaced with a small 16" TV instead. eBay said it was ok basically... False advertising to me.... black and white. Ebay did not seem concerned with the listing for the tablet, but went in my favour anyhow. 

Message 53 of 61
Latest reply

I didn't expect it to be a fake chinese model, but u got me questioning it for the price. I will confirm the IMEI with the seller before i decide to buy it or not.

They have not requested/contacted me re payment today.

Message 54 of 61
Latest reply

I doubt that you will hear from the seller.....and I also doubt that you will be able to pay for the phone.

As I have already said, once you have the item in your Purchase History you have already bought it....too late now to be asking questions.

Message 55 of 61
Latest reply

It is NOT in my purchased items, it is in UNPAID items.

Message 56 of 61
Latest reply

@sam22312 wrote:

I guess i am a little skeptical of sellers on ebay these days.

I previously bought a new tablet that was all fully advertised complete with the total tablet specs, in both the title and description.

There was a small line of added small font text that i did not notice stating, the advertised tablet may be substituted for a different model.

I ended up getting my cash back but only after i got eBay disputes involved.

My reasoning was then, I could advertise a 65" TV for say $1000, state all the specifics of the TV, but in a small text line say, TV may be replaced with a small 16" TV instead. eBay said it was ok basically... False advertising to me.... black and white. Ebay did not seem concerned with the listing for the tablet, but went in my favour anyhow. 

I always thought kind of stuff is against policy, or perhaps at least, it is with the way I interpret their listing policies (which may or may not be correct) - they have a blanket "no" against conflicting information, be it in titles, subtitles, item specifics and / or descriptions. Someone might argue that a disclaimer about substituting isn't technically conflicting information, eg saying iPhone 7 in a title, but iPhone 5 in the description is a clear cut case of conflicting info which may or may not have been intentional, while *may send iPhone 5 instead is a little more ambiguous with regards to the policy, but also clearly deliberate and a lot more questionable. 

In the first scenario, you can message "which one is it?" and hopefully get a direct answer, with the second scenario, if the disclaimer is seen, and you ask "which one will I get", the seller could well just go "dunno" even if they know full well they'll be sending the iPhone 5. 

At any rate, the title, photos and item specifics tend to carry a lot more weight than what is written in descriptions, for items not as described cases, so the above is "in theory", while in practice the seller will generally not get away with that kind of thing.

Message 57 of 61
Latest reply

I'm going to swim against the tide here and say that the seller is at fault. 

They never said in their listing that it's an ebay code and that ebay would provide the discount.  A lot of buyers never get vouchers and would have no idea that ebay even gives out vouchers.  I see a lot of sellers coming to the boards worrying that ebay has discounted the price of their item so a lot of sellers also don't know about vouchers.

If a seller is going to mention a discount code in a listing without saying that the code is ebay's and to buy the item while that particular code is still applicable, it's up to the seller to provide the discount. 

If a seller is going to risk offering a code that could end at any moment, and even promise that a new code will be issued, they're leaving themselves wide open to problems, especially if they word it like this seller has in the listing that dig provided the item number for.

Bottom line:  if a seller offers a discount then it's up to them to ensure that the buyer gets it.

sam, always use the cart when you have a voucher because that way you don't commit to buy until you can see whether the code/voucher will work.  If it doesn't work you can easily back out before you commit to buy.  I used to rarely use the cart but I've got used to it now because of the vouchers.

If the seller is making promises they can't fulfill about discounts, would you really believe anything they tell you about the phone?  If in doubt, DON'T.  A bargain isn't a bargain if it turns out to be useless and has no warranty.  Only gamble with money you can afford to lose.

Message 58 of 61
Latest reply

@sam22312,

Just to clarify - if an item is in your Unpaid Items, that means you have purchased it. You've not yet paid, but you have purchased - i.e., entered into a binding agreement. eBay say that ❝When a buyer bids on an item or selects Buy It Now, they're committing to paying for the item❞ and that ❝Each time you bid or select Buy It Now, you're agreeing to pay for the item.

As lyndal says, the item should show in your Purchase History. Your Purchase History shows Unpaid items, Orders (that is, paid items), Cancelled items, Cancelled invoices, and Returns and cancelled orders. Unpaid does not equal unpurchased. I hope that makes sense.

It's further been said that the item may have been removed by eBay. eBay do do this: they sayOccasionally you might not be able to find a listing on our site anymore. This could just be because someone else already bought the item, but sometimes there may have been an issue with the listing and we needed to remove it.❞ If eBay HAVE indeed removed the listing, you will probably still be able to see it in your purchase history. eBay say ❝If you've bought an item but can't find the listing on the site anymore, you should still be able to find the listing details in one of the following places:❞ and the places are purchase history and your confirmation email.

If it has been removed by eBay, and you haven't yet paid for the item, then if you go to actually pay for the item, I believe you will not be able to. Have you checked your eBay inbox to see whether there's a message from eBay about their having removed the item?

At any rate, even if you wanted to proceed with paying for the item, you would have to pay the seller's listing price, because I can't see any discount voucher or redemption code that's applicable at the moment. If there was a code available at the time of your purchase, clearly eBay have withdrawn it (as they can do under the T&Cs for these vouchers/codes).

Your seller would never have been responsible for making it up to you if the voucher didn't work or was withdrawn. The voucher is offered by eBay.

Mind you, I can understand your being peeved. The seller is doing the wrong thing by mentioning eBay vouchers or codes in any of their listings, because they (the seller) can't guarantee that the eBay voucher/code will still be available at the time of a buyer making the purchase. It is certainly misleading, and it's possible that eBay removed that phone listing for that very reason. (The seller still has other listings up with that wording of "Use code p5off". In fact, if I perform an Advanced search using those search terms, I end up with 92,121 results. That is definitely more than I expected... and extremely poor practice on the part of those sellers.)

YET - in spite of that misleading information - those sellers are not obliged to act as some sort of guarantor of eBay's voucher offer. Those sellers should not be doing what they are doing, but the consequences for them - if they are reported to eBay - would include such things as having the offending listings pulled, being given warnings, and so on. The consequences do not include being obliged to sell to buyers for the price less the amount of the eBay voucher code that they mentioned.

The seller's history shows that he's only been registered on eBay since July 2018, and has had few sales. There is a very striking negative which comments on the item purchased being a fake. The other feedback doesn't mention the items being fake - but that is sadly not unusual, even if a seller is indeed peddling fakes. That's because many Australian buyers simply don't realise that they've purchased a non-genuine item, because the fakes can often look authentic to the uninformed eye.

In at least one instance, your seller is definitely selling fakes. The "Apple Genuine Iphone XR Silicon Case Red" is as blatant a fake as one could wish to see. There ARE no Apple silicone cases for the iPhone XR! Apple announced in October that they were releasing a clear case for the XR, and that is now available. It's the ONLY Apple case available for the XR. In case you think that the clear cases are made of silicone... they're not. They are "crafted with a blend of optically clear polycarbonate and flexible TPU materials". In case you think that the seller was confused and meant to say genuine silicone cases for Apple iPhone, without intending to imply that it's a "genuine Apple" case, take a look at the seller's image for the listing, where it's clearly saying "Designed by Apple in California    Made in China".

Fake _Apple genuine iPhone XR silicone case_ packaging

Then I took a look at the seller's "Original Apple Earpods Earphones Headphones For iPhone X 8 7 And plus". The images shown are only of the packaging, and at first glance it's quite convincing. Very convincing if one's looking at just those two photographs in the listing... but I am pretty certain that the imposture would be very obvious if seeing this package in actuality.

Even just looking at the two provided images, I was able to spot a crucial difference between this packaging and genuine packaging which made it obvious. FAKE. These are not genuine Apple Earpods. (I'm not going to explain the crucial difference here, but if you look at the image on the seller's listing, and compare it to the genuine packaging for these earpods, you'd  spot it from the back.)

That's enough for me to be convinced that this is a dodgy seller. I won't hazard a guess as to the genuineness of the seller's other items; perhaps some of them are genuine, perhaps they're not. If they are, perhaps they're stolen. Some appear to be refurbished. This is not a seller with an ABN, so whence is this seller obtaining all of the iPhones and iPads and other phones and so on? Nothing about this seller convinces me of his/her probity and integrity.

I would not buy from this seller.

Were I you, I'd be contacting eBay via the Have us call you option, asking whether this item has been removed by eBay, and if given the affirmative, I'd be sinking to my knees and giving thanks that I had dodged a bullet.

Message 59 of 61
Latest reply

So, looking back on this discussion i see lots of replies that obviously do not read the previous post completely.

As stated already, the item was purchased, yet not paid for as the advertised voucher in the listing did not work.

I even posted a screen shot of the item in my To be paid items.

The other day, i took it to eBay via live chat.

The result:

eBay after reviewing the messages to/from the seller to myself, they gave me a one off $25 voucher. I thus bought the item at the agreed out of pocket price advertised/agreed to by the seller.

It was informed that the voucher P5OFF was pulled at 11:59pm 31/12/18, yet i bought the item at 9:00am, and the voucher disappeared... go figure that one out.

As for you nay-sayers about the item, the phone arrived express post the next day from Vic to Qld, as described, clean imei, unlocked, perfect condition, and at a bargain price.

Message 60 of 61
Latest reply