Will GST be charged on items bought from overseas and shipped to an Australian address?

I buy second hand collectables from small sellers located in the US and Europe. If I have them shipped to me in Australia will GST somehow be charged from July 1? What if shipping is to a US address?

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Will GST be charged on items bought from overseas and shipped to an Australian address?

If it's purchased on eBay, GST will apply regardless of the item condition (new, pre-owned etc).

If you use a forwarding service and have it sent on, the service will apply the GST to the total value.
Message 2 of 106
Latest reply

It is actually supposed to apply to sellers who have an annual turnover of $75,000 and above in selling to Australian customers, so far as I understand it, but... I had a medical company from whom I've purchased anatomical charts and books email me, asking me if I have an ABN and am registered for GST. If I provide them with my ABN and state that I am registered for GST, I won't be charged the 10% GST and any future transactions will be classed as "business to business".

I certainly think this whole thing is a mess.

Message 3 of 106
Latest reply

It's actually a simple setup if it works correctly:

Starting 1 July 2018, we will be collecting Goods and Services Tax (GST) from buyers on all imports with an order value less than 1,000 AUD. Sellers don't need to do anything.

If you have products located outside Australia, your prices may appear 10% higher to buyers than before if their ship-to location delivery address is in Australia.

eBay is considered an Electronic Distribution Platform operator (EDP) under the new legislation, so eBay is responsible for collecting the GST on low value imports and paying it to the Australian Government.

From 1 July, eBay will add GST to a buyerโ€™s total at checkout when:

• The item location is outside Australia
  • The delivery address is inside Australia
  • The order value is <=1,000 AUD

The buyerโ€™s payment will then be split:

• The order value (item price + postage costs) will go directly to the seller as it does today.
  • The GST portion will go to an eBay-owned PayPal account. eBay will then remit this GST directly to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Orders over $1,000 will not have GST collected by eBay. GST is already collected at the border from the importer and to eBayโ€™s knowledge that is not changing.

So prices will show higher to Aussie buyers as the GST component is built into the price,(so you still buy/shop

in the same manner as you do now but the prices will be 10% higher).

It wont stop or affect my buying in any way, good.gif

Message 4 of 106
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

It is actually supposed to apply to sellers who have an annual turnover of $75,000 and above in selling to Australian customers, so far as I understand it, but... I had a medical company from whom I've purchased anatomical charts and books email me, asking me if I have an ABN and am registered for GST. If I provide them with my ABN and state that I am registered for GST, I won't be charged the 10% GST and any future transactions will be classed as "business to business".

That's true (re: the $75k threshold), but ebay is being considered the vendor in this case, so every single item under $1k on eBay that is listed as located outside of Australia, and is then sold to an Australian buyer, being shipped to an Australian address, will have the GST applied. If it's over $1k, GST won't be charged at point of sale, but will be charged via the normal process for goods above that value when it arrives in Oz. (I just figured I'd answer the question in the context of being asked on eBay - the GST won't be charged if the item is shipped to say a US address, but it will be charged on the full total, including the cost of the forwarding service, if someone uses such a service to try and avoid paying the GST at the initial point of sale). 

Of course, outside of ebay (and other sites like it), the GST should only apply if the business has a turnover to Aus over that $75k, and in order to simplify things for B2B transactions, the GST doesn't have to be collected from Australian buyers who are purchasing for a business and are registered for GST, because anything they pay in GST on something like a stock purchase will just become an off-set and the government gets the same amount of $'s either way). 

If any of that makes sense. Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 106
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

It is going to be a minefield..   Currently an imported shipment  of  $1001.00  attracts the GST of approx $100.00  It also attracts

additional government charges totalling Approx another $100.00   (I believe these fees increase above $10,001.00).  So apart from the GST  are the additional fees now going to apply below  $1000.00 as well.

How the hell are customs clearance centers, going to know and verify if GST has been paid, hopefully ebay have that covered, but the majority of my international purchases, are not via ebay.

Might just stay clear of international purchases, at least until it is running smoothly.

Message 6 of 106
Latest reply

The ATO cannot apply GST to USED items that have already had tax paid on them in the country of origin. Ebay are stating that they are not the sellers but a site that hosts sellers.
The government cannot request tax on used items that have tax already paid on them. Same with purchasing items in the US where an Australian customer is required to pay local taxes to the US government AND be expected to pay tax here??? Nope.
If the whole idea of this is to stop the whingers like Jerry Harvey because people are buying the goods he sells at a far cheaper price o/s then fair enough but what about items that _do_not_exist_ in Australia and people have no choice but to buy from the UK or US etc??

I really hope the opposition or somebody smart enough will challenge this dumb law and get it thrown out!
Message 7 of 106
Latest reply

But that's totally wrong to add GST to items that ALREADY have local tax already included! I want to buy a sports jersey of a rugby league club in the UK where in the order they add 20% VAT to my order, then I have to pay ANOTHER 10% GST as well?? Geeez
Message 8 of 106
Latest reply

@worzel*gummidge wrote:
But that's totally wrong to add GST to items that ALREADY have local tax already included! I want to buy a sports jersey of a rugby league club in the UK where in the order they add 20% VAT to my order, then I have to pay ANOTHER 10% GST as well?? Geeez

That would be laziness on the part of the seller.

Exports from the UK don't attract VAT. Just like exports from Australia don't pay GST.

Message 9 of 106
Latest reply

I should have explained that the example I gave was from a company selling on its own website, not through eBay.

At the moment, I am hoping that my favourite international sellers don't have a lot of Australian customers! With an additional 10% being added on to overseas purchases going to Australia, it may well mean that determined buyers will actually not be faced with the GST charge - if the drop in Australian customers overall leads to businesses having less than that $75,000 limit in Australian sales.

As far as eBay is concerned, there will still be some overseas purchases for me, but the downside for eBay is that if I find an item listed on eBay which I want (listed by an international seller), I am more likely to google that seller to see if they sell outside eBay as well, and could thus potentially not have to collect that 10% GST.

Message 10 of 106
Latest reply