With Corona affecting postage Ebay should go back to 3 months time to leave feedback instead of 2

It used to be 3 months a ways back in the 2000s. Over the last few years I have had some difficult-to-deal-with sellers, and to get a problem reciified it has taken a long time. At least three have taken a very very long time. Two of them took longer than two months to resolve.

Now we have this viirus problem, some postal services have slowed down. A non eBay transaction had to be cancelled and me refunded. It was from the UK. Then last week, 3 days off of 2 months, the item arrived. I have informed seller and will refund later this week.

So, in light of what is going on, I think eBay should change it back to 3 months  instead of  the current 2 months to leave feedback. What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 125
Latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

With Corona affecting postage Ebay should go back to 3 months time to leave feedback instead of 2

@ponies68 wrote:
I'd love if we could have longer to leave feedback.
I bought something from China back in March (no one has my permission to go all"peeping tom" on my purchases)
The item only arrived today. I knew it would take quite a while and was happy to wait.
It turned out to be even better than I hoped for.
I would love to be able to leave feedback. Sadly I can only message the seller and let them know how happy I am.

Great point ponies68,  another ebayer suggested this some time back for stuff from China. People will buy from China as there are some good bargains. There are some risks too. It's a shame that you can't let that seller get a good rating for your great experience. This would have been a great help too with people looking for a good reliable Chinese seller.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 125
Latest reply

Isolation and tight restrictions may make some of us think about minutiae, or pace to and fro, or tinker with items long left to rust, and so on...

Lockdown / Self-Isolation / Quarantine / Stage 3 Restrictions

I'm not in favour of extending feedback times, but neither am I tremendously against the idea. I'll continue to order wisely (I hope), so that the issue of feedback timeout is not likely to occur. (Ordering locally... or if ordering internationally, it would probably be through other platforms or directly from the seller, so that I won't wake up in the middle of the night, tortured by the thought that the item might not arrive before feedback times out.)

Feedback is rather a chore, from my perspective. While the option is there to give it, I would feel mean if I didn't bother green-starring the excellent sellers from whom I've bought. In quite a few cases, I am a repeat buyer, and I suspect that the sellers prefer to see my repeat purchases rather than my appreciative positive feedback. However, I've been conditioned! I joined eBay at a time when feedback meant something, and of course it still has meaning, albeit very much attenuated. (The meaning is mostly for new-ish sellers, and for buyers aching to leap off that naked zero which looks so raw...)

I tend not to give feedback for those staple food delivery services which have come into their own during isolation: Menulog, Uber Eats, what-have-you. I never started, so I don't feel the guilt.

Before we were told to Stay Home, in pre-COVID-19 days, I'd write reviews of restaurants... but that's a different kettle of fish.

Message 22 of 125
Latest reply

Fair enough. For you it may not be an issue. Your buying habits may be different from those of others. You may buy a lot of new stuff and you're careful. But for others that buy collectablle things, many which are old and condition often being the deciding factor in their decision to buy, it's not always going to be smooth sailing. With collectable things, electronic or certain types of media, there can be problems.

* Electronic: An example is an amplifier. Is it working as per the seller's description. Seller truns it on and puts some speakers on and it sounds OK. But, does the tape monitor work? How about the 40 or 50 plus year old capacitors. How do they perform after the amp has been run for an hour? Some dry out internally and after a week or two the problem becomes evident.

* Media: Records. Seller graded it at NM. Buyer opens parcel when it arrives 3 to 5 weeks later or more and is horrified as it's only VG. How could this be? Well, seller's lounge (and much of the grading is done in the lounge) is lit with energy saving bulbs. These are fluorescent and they don''t show scratches and blemishes like the incandescent bulbs used to. Also if other people are in the lounge then there are distractions.

So, a disatisfied buyer has to contact seller to let him know the situation. After some back and forth discussion, it's a case of the buyer having to send back the item for a refund. Only time he can do it is after work at the local PO on a Thursday night. He heads there and there are 30 people in the line, all standing with the 1.5 (or what ever it is) distance between them. He may decide to come back on Saturday and hit it early. He does and finally the item is on its way. Parcel may take nearly a month to get back.

Now on the other end, the seller has to go through the same hoops. It all takes time and bringing it back to 3 months how it was before for overseas transactions I think would be a goood idea. Just having 2 months may not be enough for overseas transactions and evenn some local believe it or not.

Feedback is what keeps some sellers honest. I have used it as a guide to choose who I have dealt with. A couple of the nasty experiences I have had could have been avoided if I had taken the time to go back into the seller's feedbaclk. Even some of the positives have had explanations that could have been beneficial.

BTW: Cool litle pic

Message 23 of 125
Latest reply

Well, I'm on my 5th week waiting for a parcel from a reputable US selller. Other friends of mine experiencing the same.

Definitely time to request that eBay bring the feedback allowance time to 3 months like  it used to be. 2 Months is just plain no good!

Message 24 of 125
Latest reply

As both a buyer and a seller, I couldn't care less if I never got feedback given to me, so I certainly won't be making a request to eBay. Besides, if a few people did start making requests like that, the ignore button would be hit pretty quickly. EBay don't take suggestions from members.

Message 25 of 125
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

As both a buyer and a seller, I couldn't care less if I never got feedback given to me, so I certainly won't be making a request to eBay.

Soo you say. Well, that's you but others reply on feedback to show others that they are a good seller. Also feedback does keep sellers in line. Having dealt with some outright theives and conmen and conwomen in the past, I can tell you it's a necessity.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Besides, if a few people did start making requests like that, the ignore button would be hit pretty quickly. EBay don't take suggestions from members.

I beg to differ. I know that eBay have taken on some suggestions in the past.

What''s this ignore button you sppeak of?

Message 26 of 125
Latest reply

The eBay ignore button. Member offers suggestion "la la la la la la.....I can't hear you".

I'm telling you now, even if 1 million people requested longer feedback period, they would ignore every single request. 

As for feedback being a necessity, most online sites don't have a feedback system. How do you get on with those?

Message 27 of 125
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

The eBay ignore button. Member offers suggestion "la la la la la la.....I can't hear you".

I'm telling you now, even if 1 million people requested longer feedback period, they would ignore every single request. 

Well I know that eBay has in the past listened to suggestions. It wouldn't tke a million. A thousand would do!

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

As for feedback being a necessity, most online sites don't have a feedback system. How do you get on with those?

I prefer to buy from sites where the seller is rated by feedback. Sellers with bad rating I avoid.

FYI  a few years back  eBay had the FB at 3 months. People could even see what another member was bidding on. I agree with the latter being changed but the 3 months needs to come back.

And as for you not caring about feedback you should try selling with your zero FB account here and make comparison with your selling / buying account. I know which one will bring a better result.

Message 28 of 125
Latest reply

Dare I say it 4channel, "first world problems"..................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 29 of 125
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Well I know that eBay has in the past listened to suggestions. It wouldn't tke a million. A thousand would do!

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I prefer to buy from sites where the seller is rated by feedback. Sellers with bad rating I avoid.

FYI  a few years back  eBay had the FB at 3 months. People could even see what another member was bidding on. I agree with the latter being changed but the 3 months needs to come back.

And as for you not caring about feedback you should try selling with your zero FB account here and make comparison with your selling / buying account. I know which one will bring a better result.

My newest selling account started with zero feedback early in the new year. I've never bought anything on that account. It went from zero to 110 in 6 weeks. It now has over 500. I guess that blows your theory out the door. 3/4 of the buyers didn't leave feedback, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I haven't left feedback for anyone because I really can't be bothered. Hasn't affected the sales rate at all.

Interestingly, all my accounts started with zero feedback. Funny that.

Message 30 of 125
Latest reply