Wrong item received, need to return, please help.

I purchased a Gel Mattress topper, brand Giselle from an Australian Seller (definitely located in Australia) The item comes in two thicknesses 8CM and 5CM.  I purchased the 8CM thick. About to open the box when I notice it says 5CM, also no brand mentioned on the box, only the name of a Melbourne based Global shipping company.  Seller insists the 5CM is just a "TYPO" and I should unpack, let it expand and measure it and send them a photo if not correct. Of course it would never go back in the box once expanded, so I am not going to do as they suggested. I suspect I am being scammed and they have sent a cheaper unbranded product, so I wish to return it. I have opened a return via eBay, the seller is still insisting it is the correct product. So your opinions on this would be appreciated. Also, as I have never returned an item before, what is the procedure? This is a large box 8 kgs, so it should really be picked up, but could be carted to the Post Office if necessary, but now I am told that some Post Offices have limits on the size they will accept. Does the Seller have to send me a return label, and what comeback do I have if they don't co-operate? I have no idea how this all works, so any advice would be very welcome, also your opinion on the whole scenario. Many thanks.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't have anything to help other than to say don't worry about the Aust Post accepting it - I have taken items 15 kg to the counter and they didn't blink an eye.

Someone will be along who knows something about returns.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I'm afraid I would be just like you. If 2 options were offered, I am betting the 8cm option was slightly dearer and if I received one labelled 5cm I would not be opening it either and I would open an item not as described claim too. I'd take a photo of the label as evidence.

You're entitled to a Giselle 8cm thick mattress topper and if that isn't what you got, then you stick to your guns.

I would imagine that as the seller is in Aust, he will have to organise postage.  I've received some fairly large parcels of approximately that weight in the past, so it should be do-able. I hope you let us know how it all works out.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post accepts parcels up to 22kg.

I would just open a dispute for not as described....if the seller is in Australia they will have to pay for the postage.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied. just wondering how the return postage label thing works. How I hate it when things go wrong, but I guess that's life!

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I have never opened a dispute involving the seller paying the return postage but I understand if the buyer wins the dispute the seller will be told to send a return postage paid label to the buyer.

If they don't do it ebay can send the money for the postage and recoup it from the seller.

Just make sure you do exactly what ebay says in the dispute.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

if the seller accepts the return, they have to provide you with a prepaid return label.    You just need to print it out and send the item back. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

If the parcel is unopened, can't the OP just get the PO to return to sender?

Seller then has to pay for return postage.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

But is the item's box the only packaging or was there some wrapping.....was the address label on the box or on some other packaging?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

OP didn't say.

But when I bought my Koala mattress the label was stuck on the brand box - no external wrapper.

The Koala mattress also expands when you open it.

Things that size don't usually have an outside wrapper. They're just too big.

(But then Koala sends a courier to pick it up - even expanded - if you decide you don't want it.)

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply