bubble wrap lined envelopes poor protection for CDs

Hello be aware that some Ebay sellers in Australia use envelopes that are lined with thin bubble sheeting that offers

very little protection against CD case damage. Ask for :  1)  a little bubble wrap inside the CD jewel case to prevent the actual

CD from popping off the case and shifting inside the CD jewel case

2) cardboard around case and then actual bubble wrap around the cardboard and put in an envelope.

3) if only a cardboard mailer is used there should be enough room inside it for bubble wrap...if there is

not enough space for bubblewrap inside the mailer then bubblewrap should go around the outside of the

mailer before it is put inside an envelope. This should all help to recieve ( but not guarantee ) a damage

free Jewel case and CD even with rough Australia post handling.

Cheers

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: bubble wrap lined envelopes poor protection for CDs

If only sellers would follow that advice...but don't hold your breath with some of them.....and that goes for a lot of sellers from anywhere, from my experience, especially in the UK. 

It's the best source for the music I like but sure enough...the last CD I bought on eBay from England was poorly packed and the case was in pieces.  Sigh.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

You are obviously happy to pay roughly $5 more for postage.

A lot of buyers wouldn't be happy with paying $8 in postage for a CD in a jewel case. I certainly wouldn't.

You are doubtless aware that an item posted as a letter (ie in an envelope) can only be a maximum of 2cm thick. Standard industrial bubblewrap will run about 5mm (1cm doubled - which is what happens when it is wrapped), so that leaves a whole 1cm for the case, the envelope and the cardboard.

I suppose the solution for you is to only buy from sellers who charge parcel rates for thin CDs and hope that they actually post as a parcel.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I've sold a few CDs in my time and use the cardboard mailer for postage.
I've not had a problem ...the buyers have always given positive feedback.
There isn't enough room with the mailer for bubble wrap as I have tried to do this. A fat case CD is bubble wrapped and mailed in a padded bag.
Most buyers won't pay more than $5 for postage.
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

For CDs that are now out of print and which I want, I have gone to the edge of the world (almost literally). I can remember a few times paying quite substantial postage costs. But ... when it comes to hard-to-find CDs, I'm as determined as a fox looking at the Prince Regent.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

The best way I found to post CDs as a letter was bubble wrap inside, thin foam wrap around the outside, then posted in an Aus Post tough bag.
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I have always sent mine in an Australia Post cd mailer

Never had an issue/complaint in almost 13 years

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Great minds think alike!! It's almost scary.....
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

For the day to day CDs, my postage is always $5.

For any CD which may be a bit more on the rare or hard to find side of things, if I have  a large price on it, (say anything over $50) then my postage would be more . I would be adding things like insurance and signature on delivery.

I've yet to find that rare CD yet.... though I keep hoping!

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I also buy vinyl and it has always puzzled me how records are so carefully packed in heavy cardboard sometimes with extra card inserts, yet the easily breakable CD cases are packed so badly. 

Just putting some kind of bubble wrap or foam piece in a CD or DVD case can at least help prevent the disk getting dislodged and potentially scratched.  Add some stiff card on the outside (even if it is just a sleeve) is better than flimsy paper or a thinly padded bag.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply