buyer trying to change price after sale

wolfs_star86
Community Member

hi, i purchased several items from a computer hardware seller this morning, at what was a very good price, but he then contacted me, wanting to cancel the transaction and get me to purchase at a price several times higher than the price was at point of sale. ebay advuised me to report seller nonperformance, but i really dont think that its good enough, as a buyer, i have to follow through after committing to buy, as a seller, they should have to honour their side too, right?

the store rep told me that they have the right to change the price, but doesnt that apply only to pre-sale, since clicking "commit to buy" is binding, am i correct in thinking its binding for BOTH parties?

and, ebay advised to file a dispute after 7 days for not recieving the items in question, as a top rated seller, you would think he would 1/check that the prices listed are what he actually wants, 2/ that if he makes a mistake, he would honor it still, just like everyone else has to ๐Ÿ˜•

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Having in mind the ebay policy on courtesy towards fellow ebayers, my only question is:

What do you consider ebay should do, if reporting the seller for non-performance is not sufficient?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I would pay by PayPal knowing that they will most likely refund your payment.  Then, you are in a position to leave appropraite feedback.

If you agree to cancellation then he will get his final-value-fee back and you can still leave feedback.  If you do not pay and do not agree to cancel, he may well open a non-paying dispute and if you then do not pay you will not only have a strike BUT you will not be able to leave feedback.

I also changed the title of your thread in my reply to SELLER trying . . . .

wolfs_star86
Community Member

thanks for your reply, well, entering into a commitment to buy is the exact same legally as buying from any other venue, ie auction house, tender centre, or shopfront, where if you try to renegitiate, the middle party, ie auction house etc, can step in and take legal action on the grounds that you completed a sale without actually intending to honour your claim/the sale if you didnt get the price you wanted. this wasnt even an auction but a "buy it now", ie, same as going thru a checkout, then the shop saying "no, sorry, that should be more". doesnt work like that.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

wolfs_star86
Community Member

oh thanks, have been getting rather irritated by this and got the wording wrong

yeah, im fully intendiing to pay via paypal, at least that way my butt is covered ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

That seller has impeccable feedback & has sold same items at listed price so it sounds a bit odd-have you tried pulling their contact details & phoning them?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

wolfs_star86
Community Member

hey

thanks for the reply. no i emailed them for reqest total and to add the insured postage. and got that email stating that it was a mistake there prices change but that was after i commited mysefl i have told him i will be takng it as fair as i can and i dont think i will be the only one

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

"and got that email stating that it was a mistake"

Yes,it was obviously  mistakes by the Seller.

These are some of  the items aren't they ?

A $315.00 item sold to you for $23.10

A $238.30 item sold to you for $56.70

A $270.90 item sold to you for $25.20

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

but doesnt that apply only to pre-sale, since clicking "commit to buy" is binding, am i correct in thinking its binding for BOTH parties?

Nothing is binding from EITHER side.

There is no sale, you haven't lost any money, you are not out of pocket.

Seller made a mistake.

Build a bridge and move on.

Take more blood pressure tablets, stressing over this stuff is not beneficial to anyone.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

but doesnt that apply only to pre-sale, since clicking "commit to buy" is binding, am i correct in thinking its binding for BOTH parties?

Nothing is binding from EITHER side.

There is no sale, you haven't lost any money, you are not out of pocket.

Seller made a mistake. 100% for sure.

Build a bridge and move on.

Take more blood pressure tablets, stressing over this stuff is not beneficial to anyone

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply