can I get a refund after 2 months for a faulty item

I bought a pair of shoes 2 months ago to wear in winter. I did'nt really look at them when they arrived (silly I know) so yesterday I put them on and went to the supermarket for a quick trip, they felt comfortable and my husband drove us home. As I went to get out of the car I saw crumbled bits of rubber at my feet and realised it was the shoes. The sole is disintegrating on both shoes,  the rubber is so soft you can pull bits of it off like cake. I presume they are fake.  I have lodged a complaint but is it too late? I paid with Paypal but lodged the complaint on Ebay and am waiting to hear back. If they refuse my request to return them for a refund is their another option, can I go to Paypal for help? 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Very common problem as shoes age.  Does not in anyway make them fake.

Nothing to be achieved via ebay, and while you may have luck with paypal, from memory the claim is supposed to relate to the condition on receipt, not 2 months later.

Best of luck

Edit:    You could look at having them re-soled.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I am not sure how you lodged a complaint with eBay?

Do you mean eBay or the seller?

How did you do this?  (send an email to eBay bots?  a message to the seller?)

You only have 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to open a dispute

And you can't presume they are fake, you would need to be able to prove so

Ebay also do not sell anything, so no use asking them to return them

After two months, no, nothing you can do with EBay, as you said yourself, things need to be checked when they arrive, not wait two months and then try doing anything about it via eBay means

Where is the seller registered and what is their feedback as a seller like?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I had soles of shoes bought at Rivers disintegrate too. I had bought 3 pairs because they were on sale, then I didn't wear them for quite some time (much longer than 2 months), and when I took them out the sole just disintegrated. I read that it happens when the sole contains PU and because of humidity (sadly high where I live). Even worse, a pair of expensive Buffalo shoes from the UK suffered the same fate.

You could try PayPal, but sadly it is something that happens, although usually not after just 2 months.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I asked for a request to resturn the item, I guess that's not a official complaint?  I sent photos of the shoes.  They are registered in Australia, they have sold 99 items in the past year and all the feedback is positive.  I basically have a pair of shoes that are not wearable and want my money back. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Have also had it happen with a pair of fairly high end shoes and I dont think you will have much luck.  As has been said certainly not Ebay but you may be lucky with Paypal.  Have you messaged the seller?  If they are in Aust you may get an answer but otherwise I think you are stuck with shattered soles.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Very common problem as shoes age.  Does not in anyway make them fake.

Nothing to be achieved via ebay, and while you may have luck with paypal, from memory the claim is supposed to relate to the condition on receipt, not 2 months later.

Best of luck

Edit:    You could look at having them re-soled.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice and information,  I have learned something new about shoes and what to do in the future.  

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

As with an item you purchase be it from a bricks and mortar shop or online, check the condition as soon as you purchase it,  waiting 2 months is just not an option.

Also the seller has no idea about the environment you stored them in during those 2 months. 

Also a common misdeed on the buyers part is to wear an item for a period, then claim they were faulty,  well known deceit for one of special events.  Naturally I am not saying this is what you have done,  but you can understand a buyers reluctance to refund after such a long period.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

This also happens to rubber bands by the way. I have some that are not only not elastic any more, but that just fell apart...

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply