chain saw not working Brand new out of box.

Living in victoria,purchased saw from big ebay seller in NSW,buy it now option. pay pal purchased 9th jan saw arrived 12 th jan.

I assembled according to instructions.Emailed their customer support at address supplied on add, describing problem 12th jan.

Recieved return email 13th jan stating they will respond to my email through ebay messenger and all further correspondancr to be 

done through ebay.Recieved instructions from seller thru Ebay frequesting a video of item and instruction on how to do it

and upload it to streamable .com.Uploaded video of me pulling a petrol chain saw which doesnt start next day.Recieved email following 

day thanking me for uploading video but stating video does't work their end and must be corrupted.and to upload another one thru some other media method.I am 65 years old and all this is a bit beyond me so have been getting children to help me.

I have been away for a few days (to a place I needed to use the chain saw) and only got back today ( 7 days after recieving it) 

Unfortunatly there in no one here to help me do another video of me of rediculously pulling a chainsaw that doesn't start.

What should I do next?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Not sure if you have any experience with chainsaws but you need to double check all these.

1. Have you turned the on/off switch to on

2.Correct fuel mixture?

3.Is there a primer bulb to be pushed?

4.Is spark plug lead secure?

5. Is the choke on?

6.It's possible you may have flooded it.

7. Does it sound like it fires but doesn't?

Some chainsaws need more than a dozen pulls to fire up. Turn choke off if it sounds like firing.

Brand and model would be helpful .

Good Luck

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Chinese special? I've had 2. They're made of cake held together with spider web. They do take effort and tinkering.

Did you mix the 2 stroke fuel according to spec?
Check for spark by removing the plug putting back in the boot and pulling it over.

Mine had endless trouble. Seller sent a replacement and told me to dump the old one. New one played up and after more than a year from purchase the seller paid return postage and refunded me. Won't buy Chinese chainsaws again.
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Paul,I know they can be tempermental, but brand new out of the box??

1/Y

2/Y

3/N

4/Y

5/Y

6/N

7/ doesn't give a kick.

Have taken the plug out,peered into the cylinder,dry as a bone.

Have layed plug on side of cylinder,lead connected,switch on,pulled cord,shows weak spark.

Put a little bit of fuel directly into bore, reinstalled plug,still no kick at all.

Tried plug on lawn mower,same proceedure,(laying plug on block) big spark.

Its the lead,or whatever generates the power to spark,or somthing not letting fuel into cylinder,

Tried putting fuel directly into carby as well.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Forget about sending videos etc, open a money back claim through ebay. If the seller does not provide you with a label or other method of returning at their expense ask ebay to step in. Ebay should then require the seller to send you the means to return it at their expense or, if it is a cheap Chinese bit of carp they may not bother and just refund you without a return. Make sure you do not let the clain time out, if the seller does not comply by the last day get back onto ebay and they should refund you regardless of any return.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I'm with PJ.

It sounds as if you have tried out all the suggestions others here gave & if it still does not work, then it is time to open an ebay claim, unless the seller is prepared to exchange or refund. (I'd got for the refund myself).

You've tried to upload a video & it's a big ask to expect everyone to be able to do that. The fact you did it should be evidence you are genuine. Time for them to act.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

The sellers negative feedback says it all

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@rotinalu wrote:

Thanks Paul,I know they can be tempermental, but brand new out of the box??

1/Y

2/Y

3/N

4/Y

5/Y

6/N

7/ doesn't give a kick.

Have taken the plug out,peered into the cylinder,dry as a bone.

Have layed plug on side of cylinder,lead connected,switch on,pulled cord,shows weak spark.

Put a little bit of fuel directly into bore, reinstalled plug,still no kick at all.

Tried plug on lawn mower,same proceedure,(laying plug on block) big spark.

Its the lead,or whatever generates the power to spark,or somthing not letting fuel into cylinder,

Tried putting fuel directly into carby as well.

Sounds like you have done a lot of the standard things. The spark is generated by an ignition coil. If this is faulty the spark will be weak on the chainsaw, but good on the lawnmower as you describe. When the sparkplug is in the chainsaw is under load from the compression of the motor, a weak spark externally can fail completely under compression.  ie. no spark under engine compression.

As for fuel, it sounds like you have done most of the standard things. One last resort is to spray Aerostart or Start ya Ba$tard ( yes that is what it is called ) in the air cleaner gallery. Both available from Repco or similar stores. This is ether based and is more flamable than petrol. If fuel is the problem, you should get a bit of a run from the motor. I had a new motor cycle I had to use Start ya Ba$tard on for several months before it rode up with wear. Now it starts first kick, every tyime. Most chainsaws have a rubber fuel diagrahm that can stick or be inflexible until it rides up with wear and use.

Personally it sounds like the weak spark is the problem. Did you put the lawnmower plug in the chainsaw ? If you get a good spark with the lawnmower plug, the plug is the problem. If the lawnmower plug in the chainsaw gives a weak spark, the coil, plug lead or ignition switch  is at fault and you can pull on the chord till the cows come home without success. The problem could also be surface rust on the magnet on the flywheel.

If you try these things and it still does not work, item not as decribed case.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Well, the seller hasn't said they will change or refund and more or less said that it is a requirement of 

mine to comply with their request to upload a video before they can make a decision.

A video of someone pulling a chainsaw that won't start.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Chameleon, you must have posted while I was typing.

Yeah thought of aero start  but didn't want to void their maybe tamperring or 

altering clause.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply