'did the item arrive by' date in feedback

when i go to leave fb for a seller, it asks 'did the item arrive by (date)'. So if i choose no even if i'm happy with the arrival timeframe, does it affect the sellers rating? if it does i would rather tell a white lie & say yes it arrived on time.

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

@barney_rubbles wrote:

because wouldn't the amount of time in the estimated arrival time be maximised? let say if i sell an item that has an estimated arrival date of 7 days then i mark it as posted 3 days before i actually post it then doesnt that make the arrival estimate the whole 7 days instead of 4? or doesn't it work like that?

As far as I'm aware barney the ETA is based on the seller's handling time plus eBay's "guesstimate" of the postal delivery time, so it shouldn't change the ETA whether they post on or before their handling time.

Edit. G'day Stawks good to see you back, hope you're getting better.     original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 52
Latest reply

ok perhaps those sellers are under the mistaken belief it starts from when they mark it posted...i can't think why else they do it, as i know if some of them posted it when they said i would've received the item sooner....

ps my name's not really Barney Smiley LOL

Message 22 of 52
Latest reply

@barney_rubbles wrote:

because wouldn't the amount of time in the estimated arrival time be maximised? let say if i sell an item that has an estimated arrival date of 7 days then i mark it as posted 3 days before i actually post it then doesnt that make the arrival estimate the whole 7 days instead of 4? or doesn't it work like that?

It does work like that most of the time, but that actually means the seller gets no benefit from marking as shipped early - in other words, the ETA is 7 days away whether the seller marks as shipped on day one or day three, and in order to get the full benefit of that 7-day duration, the seller is better off genuinely shipping early and giving Aus Post 7 days to get it to the buyer instead of 4 days. 

I've actually found the ETA is sometimes adjusted to a shorter duration when I mark as shipped (I have a 2-day handling time, but many orders ship same day as purchase) - this happens more often if I am using a tracked service, and ebay re-adjust the ETA from 8 business days to 4. 

Message 23 of 52
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Barney,  it works on the sale date/seller's handling time, not the posted date.

Spoiler
Beat ya to it, Padi

Yep, Stawks is on the mend.....she is giving cheek again.Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 52
Latest reply

Does the question even appear with tracked postage? It never used to, but it's been ages since I've bought something.

Edit: As for the marked as posted, some sellers print a postage label almost immediately after the buyer has paid. I print it as I'm about the package the item. I don't know if they think there is any benefit to printing immedately. Maybe it's their way of preventing a late postage defect?

Message 25 of 52
Latest reply

I have had both tracking and buyer saying late postage. 

I am unsure if it makes a difference when printing the label or when it is first scanned. On one account I don't add tracking numbers and rely on Aust Post to message buyer details on delivery and it has zero defects. 

Message 26 of 52
Latest reply

@barney_rubbles wrote:

ps my name's not really Barney Smiley LOL

Guess what?

Spoiler
My name isn't really Tippy.
Spoiler
Your secret is safe with me 😄
Message 27 of 52
Latest reply

Spoiler
I'm Fred Flintstone
Message 28 of 52
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:
Spoiler
I'm Fred Flintstone

No. Really? I have always wanted to meet Fred Flintstone!

Spoiler
Are you really Fred? 
Spoiler
Like seriously, are you really?
Spoiler
OMG, my life is complete! 😄
Message 29 of 52
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@collect247 wrote:
Spoiler
I'm Fred Flintstone

No. Really? I have always wanted to meet Fred Flintstone!

Spoiler
Are you really Fred? 
Spoiler
Like seriously, are you really?
Spoiler
OMG, my life is complete! 😄

Spoiler
Yaba daba doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm actually Wilma haha
Message 30 of 52
Latest reply