double orders. paypal took both payments.

I placed an order from multiple sellers, chose payment(paypal) clicked confirm order was shown error page, googled what to do, went back to my ebay page and to my cart and ordered again like it was suggested to do on the ebay page I visited, paypal took both payments and so I contacted all the sellers and asked to cancel my orders(the doubles anyway) is that doable, am I out the money now, one seller is away until july 6th but still taking orders, the others haven't responded yet, it's been 1 hour, not erven an automated reply, if ebay screwed up with it's page why am I being charged double, I am annoyed and no I won't call CS that it a complete waste of my time and money.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You won't get automated replies because as far as the system is concerned you just bought two lots of items. You'll just have to wait for the sellers to get back to you. If you explained what happened I'd say most of them will be sympathetic.

It's too late now but what you should have done was to check your paypal account to see whether the first lot actually went through before you bought the second lot. In lots of situations (not just buying), I've found that if I get an error page the action has still been completed anyway.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I usually get emails as soon as I place the orders, seconds after they're placed, I got nothing for the 2-3 minutes I googled solutions to the error, so no emails to me means the order wasn't placed, it's been my experience for hte last 5 years or so, so it makes zero sense as to why funds were taken if theorder wasn't placed, still waiting on other replies, have got 2 "so and so is out of the office" replies, which is more bullsh!t, if you can't take orders don't have the ability to order stuff, real stores can't do that ebays ellers shouldn't be able to do that.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

How is it the seller's fault?

They run neither the PayPal nor the eBay site, so can hardly be blamed for site errors with either.

Next time, log in to your PayPal account to check for debits, and wait half an hour before trying to purchase again (after checking your PayPal account again).
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

dallas_grant, you can blame eBay - notorious for their tech "glitches" - and possibly PayPal (if it's PayPal that's the issue, rather than eBay's implementation of the payment page)... but not the sellers.

Really, serioiusly, think about what you are saying! You cannot honestly want the seller to be on tap 24 hours of every day of the week. Those would be slave conditions!

If the sellers are professional businesses, then it's more than likely they have regular business hours. If you contact a seller outside of business hours (and such may be the case if you've bought from overseas sellers), the response is going to be something like "We're out of the office" or "You've contacted us outside of business hours". They might be not just out of the office, but driving home, or spending valuable time with the kids, or eating, or sleeping.

If the sellers are hobby sellers, it would be a fast road to mental burnout if they were available at all hours. They, too, must take time out to relax and de-stress and do other things.

Sometimes sellers will be on holidays. If the seller concerned doesn't have a store, I understand that they don't have access to "holiday settings". Instead, such sellers may opt to extend their handling time to take account of their holiday period.

Sometimes sellers are ill. Sometimes sellers have family members who are ill, or there may be a bereavement in the family. All of these things happen, and there's no point in declaring "if you can't take orders don't have the ability to order stuff".

I understand it's annoying when you find that you've paid for two lots of items through a technical error which isn't your fault. Hopefully it won't take long before it can be resolved for you. If you contact sellers politely to explain what's happened, and ask them to cancel the second order in each case, you will almost certainly get a good result.

Best of luck.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Ebay periodically has glitches where emails aren't sent straight away so I wouldn't rely on that. In this sort of situation you really do need to rely on what's showing in your paypal account, but even there it can take a few minutes for a transaction to show.

Ebay is full of glitches but to be honest, there probably isn't a website in existence that works perfectly ALL the time. I once bought something on a website and couldn't tell whether I'd bought it or not so I bought it again. They contacted me about it so all was good, but I wanted all they had of the item anyway (I ended up buying more than what they had because of the error message).

I'm not sure how the out of office responses work but the sellers may have it set up like that so you know they won't get to you straight away.  Some sellers have a routine and process orders before they respond to messages, or they may have another life in the morning and only deal with ebay matters in the afternoon or at night.  Some would think they're actually being polite by using the out of office response when they're not around to answer within 10 minutes, but will take a few hours.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

You are kidding, no answer from a seller for an hour.  Do you have any idea how many sellers are small sellers and actually have full time jobs.  You really are expecting a lot from people.  As suggested, if there appears an error just check your paypal a/c before hitting the buy button again. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@dallas_grant wrote:

still waiting on other replies, have got 2 "so and so is out of the office" replies, which is more bullsh!t, if you can't take orders don't have the ability to order stuff, real stores can't do that ebays ellers shouldn't be able to do that.

I just thought I'd come back to say I misread this bit and now realise you're frustrated because the seller kept their items available for purchase while not being able to attend the store full time (for reasons unknown). 

It's pointless to say "real stores" can't do that because A) that's not true, and B) the comparison been online reatil and B&M retail is always problematic. There are a lot of things you both can and can't do while shopping online that can / can't be done in a bricks and mortar outlet - they have a few things in common, but you can't draw direct parallels to every single situation that arises with online shopping, because the whole point is that it gives both buyer and seller greater access to one another, as well as much more freedom to do things that are otherwise not possible in a B&M scenario. Online shopping isn't perfect, it's just different, with different pros and cons.

And by 'that's not true', I mean that "real stores" most certainly do accept payments when they're not open, and / or for things that they can't supply straight away.I've bought stuff from national retailers over Easter and Christmas / New Year's holidays. I've also paid for pre-orders in person at a store, and waited a couple of months or more for the item to be available, and I've been double-charged for items, too. Not the same thing? Of course it's not, because the two are different beasts. 

Lastly, it's wearisome to see a thread every other day where someone says "sellers shouldn't do that" or "sellers should be doing this" when it's in reference to something that is perfectly legal and acceptable for a seller to do, or something that's 100% the seller's choice but the buyer just doesn't like it. 

I dislike the word "should" very much because of this, but none the less... I think buyers should stop trying to say what sellers should and shouldn't do. It's their business, and all buyers have the choice to go elsewhere. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Now you're just being rude.

Did you speak to the sellers with that sort of attitude? If so, perhaps you precipitated a negative response that didn't need to happen. One very important piece of information that may have passed you by was the recommendation that you communicate politely with the sellers rather than even hint that they are at fault.

Saying that you don't agree with 90% of eBay's policies doesn't help you. (Moreover, most of the posters here also disagree with many of eBay's policies. Managing purchases or sales on eBay isn't about agreeing with eBay's policies - it's about negotiating one's way around those policies to work with them IN SPITE of those policies often being ridiculous, paranoid, confusing, and inconsistent.)

If you still want to know how best to negotiate with the second seller, ask; I'm happy to give some tips in spite of the rudeness.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I don't even know why I posted here, Pretty much get the same response, some help but mostly douchy jabs because I don't agree with 90% of ebays policies and your brown nosers do, waste of my time.

That sums it up really.

You were after validation, not solutions, and when everybody didn't come on and say 'Oh, poor you', you arced up and started namecalling.

If you don't agree with 90% of eBay's policies, nobody, especially us douches, is stopping you from shopping elsewhere.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply