eBay Dispute Resolution is Useless

best3700
Community Member

After a bad experience with an Australian Seller I called in EBay's dispute Resolution Team.  Result -- the seller got what they wanted; I'm stuck with about a month lost waiting for the item to arrive and nothing more than a refund of the amount paid.

That's exactly what the seller was offering and I was asking them to resend.  Dispute Resolution has FAILED me.

Not happy, eBay

Best 3700

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: eBay Dispute Resolution is Useless

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You cannot force the seller to send the item.

What was the reason for the seller not sending in the first place.

There is no way that ebay will ever make a seller send an item so the resolution process has not failed you at all....you got exactly what was offered by the seller and all that ebay will ever give you.

I suspect the seller is pretty annoyed with you for involving ebay after refusing his refund offer.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hello, best3700,

I realise that you wanted the item rather than a refund, but there are quite a few cases where that's simply not possible. For instance, if the seller sold you a one-off item that has been lost in transit, obviously the seller can't magic up another of those items, even with the best will in the world.

I'm not sure why you call it a "bad experience" and why you say "the seller got what they wanted". The seller has lost the amount paid, and if the item's got lost in the post, they are out that item as well. There are also seller fees which they will have to try and recoup, as well as unrecoverable PayPal fees.

You were offered a full refund, and that really does seem to be the best that they could do in the circumstances. You have not actually lost anything - you are not out any money.

I hope that you can find a similar item (or same item from another seller) and see the purchased item arrive successfully.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If an item goes missing and you open a case, there's not enough time for a seller to send a replacement before the case times out in your favour so very few sellers would risk sending a replacement. If they did they could end up refunding your first item and then giving you the second one for free as well.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Get what you paid for or your money back,that is the resolution you got your money back.

You WON lol.

The ebay resolution fails the sellers not the buyers.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
If an item goes missing and you open a case, there's not enough time for a seller to send a replacement before the case times out in your favour so very few sellers would risk sending a replacement. If they did they could end up refunding your first item and then giving you the second one for free as well.

I had pretty much this exact situation recently.  Buyer opens INR case, but stated she didn't want a refund, she wanted me to send a replacement & as you've said, with only 4 days to resolve the case I knew I couldn't get replacement from Qld to WA in time.  I would have been more than happy to just send a replacement (it was a very low value item), but I wasn't prepared to risk the case being escalated.  My work around, was to explain the easiest and quickest way would be for me to issue a refund and she could repurchase.

As it turned out the case closed 2 days later (I hadn't refunded as she wanted to wait another day or two in case it turned up ?), so I can only assume Aust Post eventually delivered . . . . . . .  I did message the buyer to confirm and check she was happy with the eventual outcome, but you guessed it - no response . . . . . . .  just my defect from eBay Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply