eBay Global Shipping Program lost my Package and eBay won't to Refund me.

hmpace
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

After purchasing an item through eBay’s Global Shipping Program, I have had a nightmare of an experience with the outcome resulting in $300 out of pocket. I have been placed in a really bad situation and I am looking for advise as to what I should do next?

Here is a summary of what happened:

• May 5th - I ordered a Desktop PC through the eBay Global Shipping Program for $22 + $60 Shipping
  • May 6th - Received Tracking Number through eBay Global Shipping Program
  • June 8th - Item had been stuck in same shipping depot for two weeks
  • June 9th - Opened case with eBay and contacted Seller
  • June 9th – Called eBay and spoke to representative who said to wait for case outcome
  • June 10th - Seller responded stating he was unaware of shipping program & contacted eBay
  • June 15th – Contacted Pitney Bowes (3rd Party Shipping Partner for Global Shipping Program) to find out what had happened
  • June 19th – Added more Information to Case
  • August 4th – Case was closed with no resolution
  • August 4th – Called eBay again – eBay stated after case was closed, nothing could be done and to contact Paypal – Rep was Arrogant and unhelpful
  • August 4th – Contacted Paypal by Phone– Rep stated if I opened the case it would be closed immediately due to tracking number and best opportunity would to speak to Pitney Bowes directly
  • August 7th – Contacted Pitney Bowes (US) – refused to help and once again directed that eBay Shipping Program are responsible for this matter
  • August 12th – Out of options I send a Letter to eBay Australia detailing the full story (Transcript Available in Attachment)
  • August 13th – Contact Seller via eBay about letter, Seller doesn’t read letter and ignores future contact
  • September 17th – Seller’s Account is Terminated and no longer member on eBay
  • September 18th – Over a month of no contact from eBay

So far all means of recovering either the desktop or a refund have failed. I am Student and $300 is a significant amount of income to lose. I am really not sure what to do now. Any advice would be appreciated; the letter was my last resort to gain some sort of attention from eBay.

This is only a brief summary of the events that have occurred, the full extent of this expeience is detailed in the letter attached.

Honestly at the stage after months of trying to resolve this, I am stuck for options. After going through all the standard means eBay offers, I have failed to get my money back. What’s most frustrating to me, is the fact that in the case eBay’s own program has lost the package, not the seller. They should have a mechanism in place to refund lost packages immediately if this is the case. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I am mindful of time as I know after 6 months, PayPal closes the ability to dispute a transaction.

Thanks for your Responses.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't understand that PayPal would suggest the case would be closed when the tracking shows only to Pitney Bowes depot and not to you.

The item may still be on it's way to you, PB can be very slow.

What did PB say to you when you asked where your parcel is ?

It seems to me a case with PayPal should be opened and if tracking doesn't show delivered to you, you are entitled to a refund.

Especially in the light of seller being NARU.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

If you paid using credit card through paypal contact your bank.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I am very doubtful its still on its way after 4 months. Stuck in the same Depot.

PB refused to let me know anything about the package and said that they don't offer support on transactions made through the Global Shipping Program, any support would need to be handled through eBay.

Paypal Rep explicitly stated that once the tracking number was provided they would side with the seller (even though eBay is the issue not seller) and I would have no recourse. She strongly advised me to contact PB instead of eBay or Paypal.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

The transaction was made through Paypal via a bank transfer. 

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

couple of questions

were you buying this PC from the USA?

if it cost $22 + $60 how does it end up as $300?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I think OP meant to type 220 + 60.

Good suggestion from Jens, contact your bank and see if there is any way of a chargeback.

image host
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

A chargeback is doubtful Kopes....the OP used his bank account through paypal.   Chargebacks are only on credit card funding.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Yes actually it was $240 - I wrote this on my phone and for some reason it removed the formatting.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

you wrote all that on your phone......thats amazing.

however why would you buy a PC from outside australia?

if you had recieved it and it had problems getting it fixed would be nigh on impossible.

much better to buy locally IMO.

seen a lot of people on the boards buying various electrical items from outside australia trying i guess to save money only to end up out of pocket.

plus wouldnt a PC from the USA not run on our voltage?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply