eBay wants item destroyed/disposed prior to ruling

Is it normal eBay is asking me to destroy and dispose of an item (counterfeit item in a MBG case) before a ruling has been made or a refund given? This request was sent within a few hours of me asking them to step in after no seller response.

Does this mean they have/will rule in my favour and refund? As it puts me in a difficult position if they want further info or opinion on the item.
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Not sure if it will ensure you get a refund but that is indeed what ebay and Paypal are meant to do with counterfeit items.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I was required to do the same.

I destroyed the item and packaging then took photos of the pieces and uploaded them to the case.

Refund received.

image host
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

Does this mean they have/will rule in my favour and refund? 

Yes it does.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

This part has the explanation

Counterfeit items

If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that this is true (for example: third-party authentication, or a statutory declaration by the buyer), we don't require the buyer to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to ensure the proper disposal of the item and may not sell it on eBay or elsewhere. We refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original postage, and the seller reimburses us for the refund.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

And I did that without being disrespectful to the boards ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Congratulations....it isn't hard to be nice, is it?

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

It's also not hard for me to become a doctor and change my last name to arcula. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

My whole point was they haven't asked for any photos just a stat dec. and I understand the idea behind destroying them but if there's a seller dispute and they want more info that's not going to be possible.
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

If you have a stat dec as well as showing the destroyed item to the JP, I'm confident you won't see any further on the matter.

If seller appeals it is between seller and eBay.

image host
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Kopes, a JP (or whoever is going to witness your form) does not sign to say that the information in a Stat Dec is correct.  They sign to say that it is the signature of the person making the Declaration.

The JP does not even have to see what the declaration contains.

All the person making the declaration has to do is sign in front of the JP....do not take an already signed form or you will have to do it again.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply