ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my time!

Several days ago I noticed I'm receiving email from ebay that look just like "this auction is ending" emails. But they contain items I've browsed and decided are too expensive, not what I require, etc. Because I've viewed them recently, they're things I'm still interested in - just not from that buyer.  Seeing them in an email makes me think they're in my watchlist, are ending, and I've forgotten to bid.  So I go to my watchlist to check and they're not there - and I read the auction again, and realise I decided against these items days/weeks ago.

There is an "If you'd rather not receive these emails click here to unsubscribe" link at the end of the emails.  But I've been through account settings and cannot find anything about this new force-feeding of emails about items I've viewed days/weeks ago and chosen to ignore.  So I'm concerned if I click unsubscribe, it's going to cancel other valid email reminders like "items closing soon".

What an annoying WASTE of people's time!  Every change ebay makes, makes me hate using ebay even more.  Do I now have to LOGOUT every time I browse ebay, in order to prevent this annoying practice?  Or will unsubscribing stop only those emails (without affecting others)?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my time!

There's a way around this if you find the emails affect you to that extent.

Change your email with ebay.

On this account of mine (springyzone), I have a webmail I created especially for using to start up this account. I rarely use it as it isn't my 'real' email. I maybe visit once or twice a year to clear out the inbox, that is all. So, I don't even see all the emails.

You actually don't normally need an outside email to conduct your everyday ebay browsing and buying. The site is good in that virtually everything can be done on ebay itself-paying, viewing your 'My ebay' account, sending and receiving messages.

The only messages you'll have coming through in ebay are the occasional ones from ebay about special offers or ones where a seller might offer you a discount on a watched item. You'll miss all the junk mail type ebay send outs.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

josky67
Community Member

I'm  sick to death of Ebay sending me endless offers from sellers to buy their things at a discounted price. They have bombarded me with endless offers many times a day that I now consider as unwanted SPAM and the prostitution of Ebay where they are soliciting buyers with unwanted goods. Ive done everything to stop this and changed my user settings and it will not stop and now confronted some of these sellers that are permitted by ebay to send me their ongoing settings as if they are street prostitutes waving down cars and demanding money. This type of ebay allowing sellers by begging buyers to buy their items at a reduced price is a low and underhanded way of ebay conducting itself. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM and im sick of it. They even allow sellers to send me emails to bid on things I don't have on my watch list that I already purchased from other selling me that the countdown to buy the item has begun and to bid on it before it's too late.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

josky67
Community Member

I have just got off the phone speaking to some dude in The Phillipines who is supposed to work for Ebay Australia. The truth is that Ebay do not employ and Australians living in Australia to answer telephone calls, and prefer to use cheap scab labor from overseas countries. The guy who sounded like a little sissy gay ladyboy dude and has now assured me that these unsolicited offers to buy stuff will stop, but if the offers do not stop I intend to close my ebay account permanently.

A few days ago Ebay sent me an email to bid on an item that was not even on my watch list that said that I needed to bid on it and I was not interested because I already bought a brand new identical item from another seller. No need for these deceitful tricks to make people bid on items that they don't even want.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

Have you changed your communication preferences under account settings?

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

josky67
Community Member

This is a follow up report to my previous posts.

After the ebay telephone staff from The Phillipines  assured me that I would not get any more unsolicited offers from sellers to buy things it was a load of lies because today I received yet another offer to buy an item that I viewed this morning.

It seems that these people can't do anything right, so the only method of stopping this **bleep** is by me deleting every item on my watch list and not having any watch list no more.

I have been harassed continuously and ebay apparently allows sellers to click on some button to send out these offers to anyone who viewed their items. It is almost as if ebay tells them there has been a fish in the ocean that is going to be caught if they have their fishing rods ready.

If this harassment does not stop I will log out of ebay, delete the mobile app, and not be using ebay again.

I can't even speak to ebay on the phone because all they do is play some recorded music over and over and no staff there to answer calls and it is now 12.50 pm on a Thursday afternoon.

The next thing I will now do is to delete every item that is on my watch list so these parasite sellers cannot send me any more unsolicited offers to buy their unwanted items.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

I changed my settings last night and ebay staff confirmed it on the phone and assured me I would not be getting any more unsolicited offers and it has not helped at all. Unsolicited offers have continued to arrive, so my only option now is to delete everything that is on my watch list or it will never end.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

@josky67 wrote:

If this harassment does not stop I will log out of ebay, delete the mobile app, and not be using ebay again.

Looking at your feedback left for sellers, that is probably the best move you can make. It seems that shopping on eBay (or maybe online in general) for you it just not worth the aggravation.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

josky67
Community Member

I have had to delete most of my watch list to deter these nuisance sellers sending me ongoing SPAM and UNSOLICITED offers to entice me to buy their items.

I have only left just three items on my watch list in case I buy any of them.

The more items on your watch list the greater the chances that you will be SPAMMED and HARASSED by sellers sending these continuous offers. There is no way of stopping the spam by changing your user settings because I have tried this several times and these pests still send the annoying offers.

I am not putting up with this garbage no more and from now on I intend to buy from other sites like Amazon instead of Ebay who allow their sellers to make a jackass of themselves and annoy buyers with unwanted and unsolicited offers.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

See ya

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

I must laugh at your rantings,  you complain about them allowing the sellers to send you offers on their unwanted goods (your words),  if they are unwanted, why do you have them on your watch list.  LOL

Don't slam the door on the way out,  I am sure a lot of sellers will be pleased to see you go based on your feedback.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply