fake software registration files

Hi 

I purchased a subscription to Avast anti virus and what was sent via email was a registration file with instrutions on how to install it

this is how it is done with avast if purchased online ( avast send reg file via email , i was expecting seller to contact me with what reg details i wanted to use but this didnt happen )   

i get the file and install it and things went wrong from there ( not with registering ,installing that was easy )

i opened the file with notepad and find program has been registered ( translated this means "Only authorized to store " three-dimensional electromagnetics " , be sure to look for a buyer !" )

with an expiry date of 15/01/2022 and a limit of 1 pc ( it was supposed to be 3pc 3 year license ) 

this seller has 100% positive feedback - i contacted the seller

as of now this listing is still up and i have not received a refund

I tried to contact eBay about this issue but they do not make it easy , even reporting the item is full of problems and finding the right reason to report the item is almost impossible ( mainly as i dont know what im doing ) , if i get it wrong eBay ignore the report

i even tried to leave negative feedback but was unable to as he is a power seller and as such i cant leave any negative till 7 days after the sale 

the guy is full of it and knows what he is selling is fake -- he has sold 6 more keys since i tried to report this item - people are just being ripped off 

im at a loss as to what to do now to remove this seller ( or listing ) asap 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Digital delivery is fraught with difficulties when encountering post sale problems. I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I'm not up on how to approach this sort of transaction. My first reaction would be to suggest you contact eBay for a callback, explain exactly what happened and direct the person you speak with to that message. Having the code for a 6 year/1 pc licence may qualify for Not As Described since you say the listing is a 3 year/3 pc licence.

Another possible option is to contact Avast directly or look at the Vero program within eBay to see if your seller is an authorised reseller (doubtful from your description). Although this option may not get your money back Avast's interaction with eBay may prompt a review of sellers of Avast to be reviewed and the unauthorised or underperforming sellers to be weeded out.

Hopefully the people in the know will be along soon to give you good and real advice. I hope you get a positive outcome.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I have the FREE Avast on all my devices, which just requires me to re register every year. No mess, no fuss. Does a great job. One time when I re registered, I was offered a 3 month trial of the full version, which I accepted. All it did was slow my computer down. I actually changed it back to the free version before the trial was up.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for this dodgy key because it doesn't cost much to upgrade from the free version to the paid version. You could try opening a not as described case. If it doesn't work through eBay, try it through PayPal.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Report the listing using the report link in the listing.

Then send one final message saying I expect my refund to be in my account within 48 hours.

If it isn't, leave negative feedback and that may change his tune on refunding.

image host
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I hope you didn't pay a lot for this dodgy key because it doesn't cost much to upgrade from the free version to the paid version. You could try opening a not as described case. If it doesn't work through eBay, try it through PayPal.

Paypal does not cover digital delivery transactions.

If it was listed on ebay.com.au then it was an illegal listing....you cannot list digital delivery items on the Australian site.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Even more reason why I hope the OP didn't pay too much. Maybe the seller knows there is no protection and that's why they are stuffing the OP around.

I'd be interested to know what they paid for this file. When you look at my upgrade page, it's not that much to upgrade. Those discounted prices have been there for ages. There is one more that the screenshot didn't capture which is $39.99 and that is for the VPN.

avast.jpg

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838

"Paypal does not cover digital delivery transactions"

Last year Paypal announced:

"We’re updating Buyer Protection to include services and intangible items

Starting 1 July 2015, our Buyer Protection Policy will expand to protect customers when they buy intangible items and services. This means purchases of eBooks, software, music downloads, travel, accommodation and event tickets, among others, will now be protected if the good or service is significantly different to how you described it, or if it isn’t received"

Does this no longer apply lyndal ?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies 

No i didnt pay that much for it only $9 , the only reason i purchased it from this seller is he had 100% positive feedback after selling more than 100 of these and similar items

Avast it seems is not on the Vero list that i can see 

This seller has power seller status and as such i can not leave negative feedback till 7 days after purchase which is sad because of now the price is $15 - so i gather he knows his days are numbered and he is out to get as much as he can 

i finally did open a dispute with paypal , i couldnt find it until i reverted back to the old paypal gui , i doubt he will fight it as i included his reply email to me , paypal has access to it anyway ( i think ) as it was all sent via ebay messaging 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

PayPal may cover it for purchases on other sites but eBay don't allow them listed.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/downloadable.html

image host
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

As far as I know, PayPal doesn't have access to your eBay messages, only eBay does (happy to be corrected though!). If you've included a copy of the message, that should go in your favour.

Please come back and let us know how you get on. All the best.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply