import duty

Can anyone explain to me why ebay charge $300 import duty on a $1000 dollar item?  Brian Canberra.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

import duty

The GST and collection fee % rate, is about on par with that applied to  imports over $1000,

But since the GH Tax, those same charges are now applied to all imports where the shipping company is required to collect the GST and remit to the ATO.

Why  should foreign companys be required to collect and process Australian GST free of charge.

Thank GH and the ATO

Just to add, it has nothing to do with ebay,

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

@brian20030_0 wrote:

You need to look at the bigger picture, domino old boy.  What kind of company are ebay if they allow this sort of thing?

Don't blame Ebay,  you committed to buy knowing full well.  At the end of the day Ebay can't overtake personal responsibility. 

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

@brian20030_0 wrote:

You need to look at the bigger picture, domino old boy.  What kind of company are ebay if they allow this sort of thing?

you need to look at the legislation and  figure out best options for importing.

Here is an example from ATO, that virtually covers the GSP scenario.  

Jia wants to purchase a coat for A$200 from Clancy's, a store in the United States. Clancy's does not ship its products to Australia.

Jia contacts Take-it-Home Co to help her bring the coat to Australia. Take-it-Home Co gives her an address in the United States. Jia buys the coat from Clancy's, which ships the coat to this United States address. Take-it-Home Co then arranges for the coat to be shipped to Australia.

Take-it-Home Co is registered for GST and charges Jia A$44, including A$4 GST, for the services it provided to bring the goods to Australia. It also charges Jia A$20 in GST on the coat, which is 10% of the amount Jia paid to Clancy's.

Take-it-Home Co pays A$24 in GST to the ATO.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

@brian20030_0 wrote:

This is an outrage unparalleled in my experience.

You seem to like that term.

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

Well, I'm not going to the UK to buy a $1000 watch.

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

Funny you should mention postage - another area where over-charging is rife.

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

That's another question.  If I buy something for $1100, do I pay GST on the whole amount or just on the $100?  One would hope the latter, but perhaps not.

Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

@brian20030_0 wrote:

If I buy something for $1100, do I pay GST on the whole amount or just on the $100?  One would hope the latter, but perhaps not.

The whole amount.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

Then I say to you, my fellow Australians, my fellow ebayers, let us rise up as one and throw over those who would tax us!  Taxation is theft, as a wise man once said.

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

import duty

@brian20030_0 wrote:

That's another question.  If I buy something for $1100, do I pay GST on the whole amount or just on the $100?  One would hope the latter, but perhaps not.

Get real,  you will be charged  GST on the full $1100,   GST will be applied at the border plus you will be charged  20% + by the shipping agent,  I don't think I have ever gotten away with less than 25% at the border for items over $1000

Learn how to import goods, or don't buy from overseas

Message 40 of 43
Latest reply