item significantly not as described

i appologise in advance i think i posted this somewhere else on these boards but i cant find my post anywhere

my son bought a 100 yr old musical instrument from a seller and paid by paypal it was a zither sort of like a harp

it arrived and was left on the door step wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap in a large post bag the instrument had been dropped on one corner and split the wood at the bottom and small pieces broke off

my son has written to the seller and explained the problem he has also taken photos and sent them to him, my son does not want to send it back it still plays though keeps going out of tune because of the damage it can be repaired but will cost around 100 to fix it cost him 220 it came from new south wales and will cost him quite a bit to send back registered post,

the seller replied it was not his responcibility that it was damaged by aust post,he admitted he sent it in a post bag and beleives that should have protected it sufficiently, my son told him he is responsible as the instrument should have been packed in a box with plenty of packing around it to ensure it wasnt damaged and asked for a partial refund to have it fixed the seller accused my son of abusing him and name calling, at no time did my son ever say anything that could have been misenterperated as abuse and this can be seen in his emails to the seller

what can we do to get a fair outcome if he opens an item not as described case can he request a partial refund to fix it or will paypal just make him send the whole thing back it will cost him quite a large amount to send back registered because it is a musical instrument he will lose over half of what he paid for it

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes it's in the answer centre and you have responses to your question.

http://community.ebay.com.au/question/Buying-Ebay/Item-Significantly-Described/500161935?#msg5051470...

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

This is a 5 YEAR OLD thread you've dragged up.....................sigh.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

How helpful....the MBG did not exist when members were posting answers on this thread.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply