legal or illegal ?

ytwo000
Community Member
 quite a few listed (17 at this point in time) by same seller. This stuff legal ? I would of thought not ?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: legal or illegal ?

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to know how the Australian Government can legally continue to push the price of cigarettes up and lustify it by saying it's to reduce the burden on the public health system. Their statistics (which are manufactured by the Cancer Council) suggest that smoking is the lead cause of burden on the health system. Heart disease associated with being overweight and poor diet is the leading burden on the Health system. You dont see the government departments pushing the price of fast food through the roof. WHY?

Because fast food is popular, and smoking is not, that makes it one of the easiest targets in the world for tax increases - the majority of voters don't care that smokers have to pay high taxes on a product that literally doesn't do anyone - nor the planet - any good. 

I am a 72 year old man who has been smoking since I was 16. At the time Cigarette adviertising (which was endorsed by the government at that time) was everywhere. Doctors were advertising cigarettes in the day. My question is: How can the government legally continue increasing the price of cigarettes when they were endorsing smoking back in the day. It is just wrong. 

Eh... Sorry but this seems like a bit of a weak argument to me. What wasn't known / openly acknowledged, and what was publicly endorsed nearly 50 years ago shouldn't have any bearing on current policies and practices. 

I understand wanting to stop young people from taking up the habit, but long term smokers should not be punished for doing something that was advertised and endorsed by the government when we started. The government needs to stop treating smokers so poorly. 

Are they treating them any worse than they are treating themselves? To paraphrase (>link<), they're literally and willingly handing over $50 or so, possibly every day, to be slowly posioned to death - and they know it now, too. The government changed their practices after new information came to light, smokers can too - I know people say giving up smoking is the hardest thing they've ever done (or tried to do), just yesterday I was watching someone talking about how it was harder for them than when they quit heroin, but you can't use the "I didn't know any better then, so it doesn't matter than I know better now" argument.

For full disclosure, I smoke. 

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to know how the Australian Government can legally continue to push the price of cigarettes up and lustify it by saying it's to reduce the burden on the public health system. Their statistics (which are manufactured by the Cancer Council) suggest that smoking is the lead cause of burden on the health system. Heart disease associated with being overweight and poor diet is the leading burden on the Health system. You dont see the government departments pushing the price of fast food through the roof. WHY?

I am a 72 year old man who has been smoking since I was 16. At the time Cigarette adviertising (which was endorsed by the government at that time) was everywhere. Doctors were advertising cigarettes in the day. My question is: How can the government legally continue increasing the price of cigarettes when they were endorsing smoking back in the day. It is just wrong. 

I understand wanting to stop young people from taking up the habit, but long term smokers should not be punished for doing something that was advertised and endorsed by the government when we started. The government needs to stop treating smokers so poorly. 

I'm not 72 years old and I smoked for 42 years. A few years ago I decided the cost didn't outweigh the physical and psychological benefits, so I switched to vaping. Regardless of American teenagers dying from it (by vaping THC, I believe) my lung function improved in weeks and my blood pressure dropped. And it costs me a fraction of what buying cigarettes would.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

xmxaxx57
Community Member

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

72 isn't old enough for you to blame the system.Smiley Happy

If you were about 92, you'd have more of a case.

I have heard that back in the second world war, cigarettes were issued to soldiers and sailors etc as part of their supplies. Not sure exactly of the details, it was before my time (and yours) but a friend told me her father started up smoking in the army because they were supplied.

Straight after the war, some of the ads did make out smoking was a healthy sort of thing to do. Those people were a bit misled but they have almost all passed now.

But you were a baby boomer. You missed all that. You probably didn't get into smoking till the 1960s. By the 1970s though it was well known that smoking caused harm.  Warnings were on cigarette packets by 1973, ads were banned on TV in 1976.

I wouldn't say the government endorsed smoking in the period 1960s-now. They allowed it. That's a different thing.

They probably welcome the revenue from sales, that's a given.

But what you're not taking into account is everything changes and that applies to medical knowledge too.

I had a grandmother who died in the 1960s of heart disease. She wasn't all that old either. These days they would just give her some stents or do a bypass.

You're old enough to be able to remember the 1960s & 1970s perfectly well. Have a think of what else has changed-can you imagine people being openly gay back then or gay marriages, or women being allowed to be pilots, can you imagine people openly living together or unmarried mothers getting a government allowance back in the 1960s?

There have been moves to penalise fast food sales, just as cigarettes are taxed. But the two are not the same thing. Fast food is not necessarily unhealthy, it depends on what it is. People don't necessarily eat fast food all the time and people can eat unhealthy things just as easily at home.

If you're expecting 100% fair in life, you're going to be endlessly disappointed.

The 1960s was then, this is now, the present politicians had nothing to do with the government back then.

And you. You've had the last 47 years of warnings and tougher & tougher restrictions. So.. what do you think is going to happen next, what's the trend?

Yes, that's what i think too. You won't be loving the answer, but the choice is yours. Give up the smokes or pay the extra, that's the way the tide is turning.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to know how anyone, especially someone who I am assuming is drawing a pension, can afford to smoke. Last week was 3 years since I quit. It's been 3.5 years since Mr Tippy quit. Having your voicebox removed due to smoking related cancer, and breathing through a hole in your neck kind of makes it pretty hard to smoke. He thought it would never happen to him.

The last packet I bought was $39 for 40. I was at Dan Murphy's the other day and the brand we used to smoke was $65.95 a pack. Between us we were smoking 3 packs every 2 days. If we were still smoking, we'd be smoking a mortgage every week.

I am far from being anti smoking. I am definitely not a reformed smoker. The ONLY thing that stops me buying a packet now is the cost. If the cost went down, I'd be buying a pack in a heartbeat. If I find out I have a terminal illness, I'll be in that shop quicker than you can blink.

That said, if people wish to continue smoking, then you have to be prepared to pay the price of them. If you can afford them, good for you. It's your choice to spend most of your pension on smokes.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

dajae-93
Community Member
Can I get some please what types
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

There is nothing stopping you buying seeds....if you can find where they are being sold.

But why would you want them when it is illegal to grow them?

Please do not drag up 4 year old threads to add nothing of value to the discussion.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply