new payment system?

won an item today and pressed the 'pay now' button.

no shift to the various pages, before going to PP sign in.

no log into PP.

just clicked on make payment button and went to the thanks for your payment page.

is this new, so used to going through several pages before loging into PP to make payment befor being returned to ebay.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: new payment system?

Digi, I bought an item today and although I'm not certain what was on the info bar at the top, the rest of it was the same as yours and I'm on a laptop. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 41 of 64
Latest reply

I just paid for ten items that the seller had invoiced me for.  Paying an invoice rather than paying for a single item without waiting for an invoice might make a difference.  I'm using a desktop computer and I didn't notice the URL at the top - could have said anything.  I didn't read digi's post before I paid, only the others, so I wasn't looking out for that.

Up the top of the checkout page, on the left it had "post to" and my details under it.  To the right of all that it had "pay by paypal", but as the seller only offers pp there was no button or anything to click on, just the logo and a couple of words - and definitely nothing about credit cards or any other payment type.  The post to and the pp bit took up two-thirds of the width of the page.

I should have taken a screen shot so I could refer back to it but I didn't think of it and I did have a good hard look at all the details and thought I could remember it, but I'm a bit hazy on one bit - on the right of the bit described above I think it had a button to pay with paypal, but I can't remember whether there was a total amount there.  I'm pretty sure it had no amounts, just the button to pay with paypal.

Underneath the post to & pp logo bit at the top it had a list of my ten items, with a total at the bottom.  I had a voucher so I filled in the code and then clicked apply, and it showed me my new total.  It took 15% off the postage as well as the items, which was a nice surprise that I wasn't expecting.

When I clicked on the button to pay by paypal it took me to the normal page where I had to sign in to my paypal account.  When I signed in it showed the total amount and the funding sources (I didn't have enough in my pp account to cover it).

It may have asked me to sign in to my pp account because I had added that username's email address to pp two days ago and temporarily made it my primary pp address just so I could use this voucher.  On the sign-in page for paypal it showed the email address I used before by default and I had to change it, so the different address may have triggered it to ask me to sign in. 

Message 42 of 64
Latest reply

I paid on a laptop, and I didn't get a page that looked like that at all.

When I hit the button 'pay now' I expected the paypal page to come up,

so I could confirm the details - total cost, address etc

I didn't get that page.  It went straight to  'Thanks for your purchase'

Message 43 of 64
Latest reply

I always found it odd that after having signed into PayPal and having made the payment that when you returned to the My eBay page and clicked on Account and found your way back to your PayPal Account that you weren't signed out of PayPal after the transaction. That being said, when I purchased today I got pop up window with round corners that wanted me to sign into PayPal (nominated method), this enabled the transaction to suddenly conclude.

I was still able to go back into my account without signing in. But if  I went on to pay for something else I would have to sign into an account that I never signed out of. I just accept that this is the way it works. (But I do like to do the signing out in person.)

Message 44 of 64
Latest reply

Yes d*g, that monstrosity of a thing. Oddly, the next thing I bought had reverted back to the old (desktop-friendly) screen, but I'm not counting on that happening every time.
Message 45 of 64
Latest reply

I haven't actually gone ahead with any purchases since the redirect (I have stuff in my cart, not yet purchased, and if I click on 'Pay this seller' to get to the next page that's when the redirect happens, so I don't go any further). I did discover that if the seller offers other payment methods and you click on 'See other payment methods' it takes you to the normal site checkout and you can still select (and pay with) PayPal, so that will help in some cases til this gets fixed.  

I did checkout once, a while ago, on my phone, and noticed the option to be automatically logged in to PayPal was pre-ticked (noticed a split second too late, actually, so deleted all the app data and started again Smiley LOL ), so that could be the reason why some are being automatically logged in  and paying with a click or two instead of the usual checkout process. I know if I'm already logged into PayPal, some sites won't ask for my log in at checkout and just sign me in straight away, but I still get a confirmation page and have to click etc before payment is made. 

Message 46 of 64
Latest reply

I didn't have a choice at the time, in fact I'm still waiting for a couple of auctions to finish. Oddly, the next thing I bought after that screen had the normal checkout so I was able to pay straight away without eBay trying to murder my PC, although I had to wait for the seller to combine postage.
Message 47 of 64
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

It sounds like other's checkouts may be different to the one I get on both my accounts...

Can others confirm for me if what they see matches what my checkout(s) look like? I've included the URL in the screen shot because it clearly shows this is a redirected checkout to the mobile version, not the actual site checkout.

I'm also seeing an increase in buyers paying for items separately - probably why eBay did it, if it's happening across many accounts. Smiley Mad

Spoiler
mobile redirect with url.PNG

my latest buy was a buy it now and i got the page like the one here but still when i hit the 'confirm and pay' button after selecting PP it didnt transfer me the PP login just accepted the payment as made and gave me 'checkout success' page.

Message 48 of 64
Latest reply

And it's back in full force on the next item. eBay really does seem to want buyers and sellers to leave in droves by pushing shยกt like this all the time.
Message 49 of 64
Latest reply

And now the login is in f$@#ing Dutch. I think it's finally time to move elsewhere after thirteen years.
Message 50 of 64
Latest reply