overseas seller hiding behind global shipping - will I be out of pocket?

bought a fragile item from o/seas. which was posted via global shipping.

packed well, and posted promptly.

I discovered a chip - albeit small.

sellers response, I always check my items well, I have good feedback blah blah. must have happened in transit.

I provided photo and explained that there were no glass shards in the bubblewrap and I did not believe it happened in transit.there was also no damage to the parcel.

They said if you claim it happened in transit you'rll get your money back.

I've read The cost of return postage is the seller's responsibility in the ebay guarantee but seller said I don't think you understand how gs works.  !

to be honest I don't.  I believe the seller missed this chip and that they want me to go away, do whats easiest for them

they say return it but being o/seas I am not interested in paying for post as it was half of the price - approx $40

can someone explain how ebay guarantee or ebay dispute / paypal dispute differs when global shipping is used please? will I only be refunded for the bottle?  

their attitude is annoying. how can they hide behind the global shipping programme? surely any o/s seller can do that?

TIA

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's not really clear, and I'm guessing that's deliberate on ebay's part

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#problems

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller is correct....once the item is delivered to Erlanger KY it is no longer the seller's responsibility.  The seller is covered against all claims.

You just open a dispute in ebay for Item Not As Described and follow the prompts.  It is no different to any other dispute.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal,  to clarify does that mean I will only be reimbursed for the cost of the item and not the initial shipping costs via GS?

and if I open asn item not as described dispute and it is found in my favour who pays for the return costs to overseas? do they? or me because its GS

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

It's not really clear, and I'm guessing that's deliberate on ebay's part

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#problems

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

thanks. I've emailed ebay, as yet not received reply.

opened a return. seller accepted a return but said they could not send a return label to pay for return ship to o/s. (convenient maybe?)

I have never done labels before - perhaps related to click and send?, somewhat annoyed it may fall back on me.

when ebay steps in can ebay make the UK seller arrange item return from their end?

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

You've been around eBay and the forums for long enough to know there is no possible way and overseas seller can send you a postage label, so "convenient maybe?" doesn't even come into it. How is a person in England supposed to send you an Australia Post shipping label? Are you able to create and send a shipping label for Royal Mail, USPS or China Post? I thought so.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

tippy I've been on ebay for years, but you'd be aware things change constantly around here. and no I've never had to return something via the GSP beforewhich is why I'm on this forum thread

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

I realise that, but how do you expect an overseas seller to send a postage label from AP when they aren't in the country? As I asked, could you send someone a label for Royal Mail, USPS or China Post? You implied that the seller was being underhanded because they "refused" to send you a label. They CAN'T send you a label. Most people send the item back by whatever tracked means. Some are lucky enough to have the postage refunded to them, others aren't. It's an each way bet whether eBay can get the seller to refund the return postage or not.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

And be aware you'll wait up to a month to get your postage cost reimbursed by eBay too.
Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

calm down tippy!  If ebay explained these things instead of vague paragraphs  I wouldn't have to ask. 

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply