postage cost

hi everyone, I just purchased and received some curtains. Paid $20.00 for them with $25.00 postage. Received today. Post stamp says $.8.95. Box is small and as such the curtains are folded very tightly and are very creased. Box was taped up well.

Would most buyers be compaining about this postage cost? If so, directly to seller or - feedback?

Thanks for any info.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: postage cost

The seller was charging a flat postage rate for the whole of Australia. (I had a look at the listing). They've sold a massive 15 items this year so while they're not new to selling they quite possibly don't know the ins  and outs of calculated postage or clickandsend.  They must have been overjoyed when a local buyer won, as they would probably have lost money if the curtains had sold to , say TAS or WA. They also had pick up as an option, so it definitely wasn't a postage price designed to  make them lots of money.

$8.95 is a flat rate price for up to 20kg if you happen to live within 50km of the sender, and is exceptionally good value.  

I can guess what would happen if the seller had posted here complaining that the curtains had sold to WA and it was going to cost $33.85 (price for 8kg parcel, I'm guessing at weight of curtains).

When you offer flat rate postage for heavy items you win some and lose some. It's not a route I personally go (unless offering free postage), just because of cases like this one, but I wouldn't be leaving negative feedback over it.

The complaint about the too-small packaging is valid, though since the listing stated that they were already wrinkled, I'm not sure how significant the packaging was.

If you feel strongly about it contact the seller and/or leave 3 stars for the postage price, I don't personally think it's fair to bash the seller's feedback over this one.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

I am glad you explained this. I bet you are right. When they were loking at postage costs, they would not have known where the seller would located so they would have had to go with a flat rate postage or thought they did.

I used to sell on ebay but I have to admit I don't know how caluclated postage or click and send work.

As you say, if the postage had been higher, I think most of us would have expected the seller to wear it.

In this case, the main problem I can see is the fact it was packaged so tightly, but whichever way they were packed, they were always going to get some creasing.

I think they still deserve a positive rating-the buyer knew the prices beforehand, the seller sent the item. maybe thebuyer should just email them to mention any concerns, and give a low star rating for postage costs if they don't respond.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

that seller has been around since 2005 so they should know how the system works

even if they post the item in a flate rate box its not going to cost $25, a total rip off and they should refund the buyer the difference

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

thanks for response. I did email the seller and receive the answer about the flat rate. I do understand the reasoning for using flat rate and don't think that initially she was out to make a postage profit. However as a seller myself, it goes against my moral fibre to make profit that way and in any situation like this I would be refunding excess post cost pronto. no such offer from the seller. I would not be as cranky if the curtains had been packed with care. To make a profit of $15 + and pack the curtains into such a small box they're in a ball shape, its pretty mean spirited i think.
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

sorry for typos. typing on my phone.
Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

i dont know how much the curtains weigh and even if they put them in a 3kg or 5kg satchel or a B4 flat rate box its not costing $25

once the seller has your post code they can work out the postage and even allowing for a small bit of p&h they should quote the correct price, def not right and i'd mark their stars down if they wouldnt refund

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

final word-she responded saying i should never have bid if i didn't want to pay $25. but my point us I would have been happy to pay $25 if that was the service I received. My unhappiness stems from the fact that she made a large profit and took little care with packing.
she has offered $5 refund because she is 'kind'.
Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

"Kind" ..... rolls eyes

Well 5 bucks is better than nothing back - so it was worth some $$$$$ to follow up directly with seller

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

i had exactly the same response to the 'kind' comment.
the mean spirited side of me would rather leave neg feedback than get $5 back from her and have her thinking she's doing me a lovely favour
Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Nah on this one they should take the fiver and still leave feedback that refers to the postage. I am one for you know what u paying before u bid for postage but not if they make a profit by not looking after the product you have paid for then they deserve three stars on postage maybe even twoMan Sad

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 20 of 23
Latest reply