seller posts one item despite "offering combined postage" policy

so i clicked "buy-it-now" on two items from the same seller. paid for one and asked to cancel the other. seller "offers postage discounts on combined purchases", but instead of communicating with words, seller simply posted the item i paid for, leaving me in the dark about the other item with the exorbidant postage.

ebay "unpaid item policy" explanation includes this reason for policy: "When a buyer doesn't pay for an item they've won or purchased, it costs the seller time and money and holds up inventory. The unpaid item policy helps create a safer and more successful buying and selling experience."

in this case, the time the seller has saved by not answering my request or offering combined postage will probably cost me more money.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: seller posts one item despite "offering combined postage" policy

Did you contact the seller beforehand and ask them to combine your purchases?

The seller didn't leave you in the dark; from what I read of your post you asked them to cancel the other item, meaning you didn't want it, so the seller sent the one you paid for..

Maybe next time contact the seller and confirm with them that they will combine your purchases

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

so i clicked "buy-it-now" on two items from the same seller. paid for one and asked to cancel the other. seller "offers postage discounts on combined purchases", but instead of communicating with words, seller simply posted the item i paid for, leaving me in the dark about the other item with the exorbitant postage.

ebay "unpaid item policy" explanation includes this reason for policy: "When a buyer doesn't pay for an item they've won or purchased, it costs the seller time and money and holds up inventory. The unpaid item policy helps create a safer and more successful buying and selling experience."

in this case, the time the seller has saved by not answering my request or offering combined postage will probably cost me more money.

So WHY would you expect to get both if you only paid for one and did not pay for one after asking for it to be cancelled?

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

you mean contact the seller about their advertised "combined postage" discount before clicking on "buy it now"? yes, in retrospect, that is the best course of action. waiting for a reply to that enquiry would be less frustrating than waiting for a reply to any of the messages i have sent since clicking "buy it now".

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

so i clicked "buy-it-now" on two items from the same seller. paid for one and asked to cancel the other. seller "offers postage discounts on combined purchases", but instead of communicating with words, seller simply posted the item i paid for, leaving me in the dark about the other item with the exorbidant postage.

so why buy two items and then ask to cancel one?  Did you expect the seller to send both for one postage charge, i.e. the lesser one, and then change your mind when you thought it would be the higher postage charge?  In need of more detail here.

When you went through Checkout you had the opportunity to ask the seller to combine the purchases and also ask them to send an updated invoice with the postage discount.

Instead you asked then to cancel one of the purchases.

I am certianly in the dark about what it is you wanted to do.

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

You made the choice to only pay for one item so why on earth would you expect the postage to be any less that the cost of one item?

I should imagine you are now on the BBL of most of the sellers who read these boards!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The OP makes very little sense.

Why cancel the second item because of high postage, after talking about combined postage.  Did you get a combined postage quote?

Is the dispute for an unpaid item or is the seller just wanting to get his fees back for the item you cancelled.

A bit more detail would be helpful...what exactly do you want advice on...the dispute or the fact that you only got one item, which is not surprising if you only paid for one.

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

I now understand why some sellers get quite annoyed with some buyers.....hehehe

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

it is very simple. i don't want one of the items. that is why i only paid for one. i communicated this to seller as soon as i realised i had purchased two items. the only indication i have as to what is going on at the seller's end is a tracking number, indicating that the item i paid for has been posted. i am sorry if i have confused anyone with the information about combined postage. if i found two orders (made withn minutes of each other) from the same buyer in my inbox, and i had offered combined postage, then i would take the time to sort out what the buyer wanted. apparently, this seller has a different way of doing business. advice is welcome, but i am mainly trying to highlight what i think is a failure in the ebay system: a seller can ignore a buyer's request for combined postage information after one item has been paid for.

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply