seller with items advertised elsewhere

Hi, I've noticed a listing for Lego items that state they are advertised elsewhere as well as on Ebay. Wondered if this was OK to do.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No,its a reportable offence as against ebay policy.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

No,its a reportable offence as against ebay policy.

Ironically it is also against Lego's terms of trade to sell it on Ebay too.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Wow, how many Lego sets are sold here - must be thousands.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I imagine Lego is the same as any other used item. Once you buy it new, it's yours to dispose of how you wish.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

There are lots of brand new in box items as well.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

As far as I recall if they are not Buy Now items on another site then there is nothing wrong with listing items elsewhere , it's when the same ( one of a kind item) is listed on multiple sites where the item can be purchased immediately that's the issue)

ie on e bay as an auction and a classified elsewhere should be fine as  long as the seller keeps a close eye on what they are doing .

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

As far as I recall if they are not Buy Now items on another site then there is nothing wrong with listing items elsewhere , it's when the same ( one of a kind item) is listed on multiple sites where the item can be purchased immediately that's the issue)

ie on e bay as an auction and a classified elsewhere should be fine as  long as the seller keeps a close eye on what they are doing .

You are free to sell items on both ebay and other sites, your own website, a bricks and mortar store etc. You do need to have very good inventory management to ensure quantities on hand are kept up to date on ebay.

The issue ebay has is when you try to encourage buyers to trade outside of ebay thus circumventing fees. As such you cannot have a link to your website on your listings.

You can publish a phone number though for the purpose of providing customer support, and I believe you can also publish the address of a physical store (unless this has changed in recent times). Many sellers that sell on ebay allow pick up from their stores.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

You are free to sell items on both ebay and other sites, your own website, a bricks and mortar store etc. You do need to have very good inventory management to ensure quantities on hand are kept up to date on ebay.

The issue ebay has is when you try to encourage buyers to trade outside of ebay thus circumventing fees. As such you cannot have a link to your website on your listings.

You can publish a phone number though for the purpose of providing customer support, and I believe you can also publish the address of a physical store (unless this has changed in recent times). Many sellers that sell on ebay allow pick up from their stores.

This is a topic that really interests me.

How does it work with something like this, seems to me to be pretty cheap advertising and why would you buy on eBay if you can just ring them up and negotiate a possible cheaper price due to not having to pay eBay fees, particularly on higher priced items (sorry to say have done when was in Brisbane), that will then cover the price of fuel.

Shouldn't these type of ads be a fixed price listing or something?

eBay is always mentioning people trying to circumvent fees and to me they seem to be encouraging it.

With the OP, I see heaps of listing with "Advertised elsewhere and can end auction at anytime" and then the auction seems to get canceled 24hrs before the end, with bids on.I don't know if this is against rules but I would be very busy complaining if it is.  

☯Only the Best Things in Life are Free☯
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

The voucher listing doesn't breach any policies that I'm aware of, since it (perhaps rather cleverly) is an auction for a physical item and not the actual service (services have to be classified listings, and are a lot more expensive).

The physical item grants the holder a service, and at a specific business, to boot, so it does - by virtue - advertise a business, in the same way that auctions for gift cards for national chain stores are, I suppose -  but near as I can tell it's compliant with all eBay rules and regulations. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply