think it unfair when someone bids on something & somebody else bid on all of the same listing

l have been bidding on a certain item & their are other listing of the same item there is a ebayer who is bidding on all 3 listings 

& they are winnig all 3 of them i think it totally unfair for other ebayers as its not letting other have the opportunity to buy l think if people are doing this then they are buying them & selling then outside ebay afterwards its just really unfair & i dont think it should be happening. Just one more thing l have been watching this happen over the last couple of weeks with this ebayer & i am not happy that they seem to be getting away with it.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

think it unfair when someone bids on something & somebody else bid on all of the same listing

To improve your chances of winning items, place a bid of the most you are willing to pay just before an auction ends.

don't nibble bid (that is, place lots of little bids over time)

sellers have the option to restrict buyers from purchasing multiple items over a set time frame, if they do not choose to do this, there is not much you can do.

if you suspect that the other buyer is a shill bidder (someone who is driving the prices up for the seller), then you can report it to eBay, but if they are winning them, once the auctions finish, it is unlikely.

a shill bidder is meant to push up the price leaving someone else (a genuine buyer) as the winner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

2 sellers - 1 item.  An item I must have. To ensure I get this item,

I have to bid on both.  I put in my top price and sit back and wait.

Are you saying I'm not entitled to make sure I get one of them?

If I manage to win both, then I have to sell the other one.

It will be back on the market for someone else to buy.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

So would it be fair if it was you winning all the items and then reselling outside of ebay or anywhere else?

The highest bidder wins no matter who they are and all this means is they are willing to pay more then you, so does that make it not fair they are happy to pay more then you or have more money than you to be able to pay more?

If you go into a real shop and you see a person purchasing ALL the stock of a particular item and then reselling at the local market as being unfair?

Sorry there is nothing unfair going on at all other than a case of sour grapes as you will not pay more than the winning bidder/s.

Many buyers on ebay buy to resell on ebay or elsewhere and it is call business 🙂

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@melharro wrote:

l have been bidding on a certain item & their are other listing of the same item there is a ebayer who is bidding on all 3 listings 

& they are winnig all 3 of them i think it totally unfair for other ebayers as its not letting other have the opportunity to buy l think if people are doing this then they are buying them & selling then outside ebay afterwards its just really unfair & i dont think it should be happening. Just one more thing l have been watching this happen over the last couple of weeks with this ebayer & i am not happy that they seem to be getting away with it.

of course you have the opportunity to buy, you just need to bid more.

first or last bidder, don't matter, the only winning bidder is the one with the most money.  simple bid higher if you really want it, or wait until another one comes up at a price you can afford.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

You say it is not fair. How would it be fair to the sellers of these items to stop some-one who is willing to pay the most for the item from bidding so that you can buy it cheaper ? The sellers would recieve much less than the item is worth. They are the ones who have taken the time to source, clean, photograph and list the item, answer peoples questions, accept the risk of waste of time, non payers, pay the ebay & paypal fees, pack the item in bubble wrap, drive to the post office and stand in line waiting to mail it and provide any after sales service that may be needed.   WHO IS IT NOT FAIR TOO ?????????????

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thankyou for your kind respones the others werent so kind l now know l wont be coming back to dicussion boards l am sure this ebayer is shell bidding so i have stopped bidding & i am going to go to a retailer & pay full price for it.

thanks for being kind in your respones

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

thank you for your kind response

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@melharro wrote:

I wonder if this is what happens when you give every kid a first place ribbon on sports day and when a child kicks a goal in soccer it doesnt count. ??? Ebay isnt about letting everyone take turns to bid and sharing the sellers items equelly between all buyers. It is about real people who own items and want to sell them to other people for the best price they can reasonably recieve. If you keep missing out at auctions, wait untill the last thirty seconds of the auction and place a bid for the fair value of the item rather than bargain basement price and you might be suprised at how easy it is to win auctions on ebay at a  reasonable price for both buyer and seller. If a certian buyer, as you say can, afford to win the auctions, pay the postage and then re-sell the items with all of the extra expenses involved in resale, you must not be offering the sellers a fair price.  You can avoid shill bidding by waiting untill the last 30 seconds ( or less) of an auction and simply placing a bid for the highest amount you are willing to pay. If you nibble bid in small increments you leave yourself open to unscrupulous shill bidders. If you are missing out on auctions from more than one seller, shill bidding is unlikly to be the problem.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply