what is economy shipping ..how do you ask for it ?

i have seen some sellers in america and europe offering economy shipping i have noticed it is a lot cheaper than standard postage..a friend she  had something sent by it ..it was way cheaper than global shipping....and even cheaper  than usps..and it arrived quickly..i noticed a cassette deck was about 30 dollars au postage from europe...

how can we get it  ?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You will have to ask the seller, but I doubt it would be quick at the moment...  When did your friend use it?

Sellers from overseas prefer to have some tracking at the moment I think. I had an item from a seller in the UK saved in my watchlist and postage was super cheap, basically as a letter because it was a very small item, but not long after the virus they changed it and now it has tracking and it is much more expensive. I had had that item saved for a long time, so I think some sellers feel safer if they know where their item is due to all delays etc., but on the other hand I have seen sellers offering economy even now, but you will have to ask the seller if you don't see it available as a postage option.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Most overseas countries term Economy shipping to be surface mail.....the slow boat to/from China.....and it can be very very slow.

As an example....economy mail from Canada can take anything up to 6 months to arrive.

The parcels are loaded into containers as they arrive and the ship does not sail till it is full.

Your parcel may be in the first full container but it is another 5 months before the ship is fully loaded for departure.

Paypal does not offer buyer protection on surface mail as it takes too long for most items to arrive.  And there is no longer surface mail available from the USA.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

i have seen some sellers in america and europe offering economy shipping i have noticed it is a lot cheaper than standard postage..a friend she  had something sent by it ..it was way cheaper than global shipping....and even cheaper  than usps..and it arrived quickly..i noticed a cassette deck was about 30 dollars au postage from europe...

how can we get it  ?

Good question. I've seen a few sellers offering it. I've had a DVD come from the US via economy. I'm sure it was the US. I got mine early this year and postage was cheap too. I should  have saved the seller details for next time. The DVD took about 3 weeks to arrive which surprised me. I was wondering if Economy-Air was an option again?

I'm not sure how to get it.  I've just come across sellers who offer it. I suppose just ask the seller. Some may or may not offer it. Some may not understand the question too lol. You've had a reply from papermoon lady which suggests the virus issue may affect postage so you'll have to weigh up if it's a good idea for you right now. And you'd want to have tracking in this troubled period the world is in.

I've had an item from the UK take 6 weeks to arrive and an item from the US take around 7 weeks. I was just able to reward seller with pos FB then. And the other day, I remembered another item I got from the US.  It was sent via USPS . I checked and it had left its state at the end of May and  from memory on June 10th arrived at the L.A Distribution centre. 5 days later it was on its way to the next distribution facility and that's where the tracking ends at this time.  I checked the Aust tracking site and It's not even nibbling at our shores.

I'd use economy with sellers in the US or Euro, ones I have dealt with in the past and who are reputable. It is a good way to save some money.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Most overseas countries term Economy shipping to be surface mail.....the slow boat to/from China.....and it can be very very slow.

As an example....economy mail from Canada can take anything up to 6 months to arrive.

The parcels are loaded into containers as they arrive and the ship does not sail till it is full.

Your parcel may be in the first full container but it is another 5 months before the ship is fully loaded for departure.

Paypal does not offer buyer protection on surface mail as it takes too long for most items to arrive.  And there is no longer surface mail available from the USA.

It all depends. I've had a dvd shipped from the US  via economy, I think early this year or late last and it took around 3 weeks.. Actually it was early this year, before the Corona problems. I had another item via economy  before that and it arrived in less than a month.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

You will have to ask the seller, but I doubt it would be quick at the moment...  When did your friend use it?

Sellers from overseas prefer to have some tracking at the moment I think. I had an item from a seller in the UK saved in my watchlist and postage was super cheap, basically as a letter because it was a very small item, but not long after the virus they changed it and now it has tracking and it is much more expensive. I had had that item saved for a long time, so I think some sellers feel safer if they know where their item is due to all delays etc., but on the other hand I have seen sellers offering economy even now, but you will have to ask the seller if you don't see it available as a postage option.

thanks for reply

by the way. my friend used it last year..so with economy..that means you do not get tracking ?

your prob right..with the virus..its best to have tracking

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It all depends. I've had a dvd shipped from the US  via economy, I think early this year or late last and it took around 3 weeks.. Actually it was early this year, before the Corona problems. I had another item via economy  before that and it arrived in less than a month.

Depends on what?

If your parcel was shipped after 2007 it was NOT sea mail.....the USPS discontinued that service around the middle of the year if I am not mistaken.  Believe me the surface mail took a lot longer than 3 weeks.....more likely to have been 3 months.

There is still a SAL service....Surface Air LIft where the parcels are transported throughout the USA by road and then sent by economy air to their overseas destination.

As far as I know the Royal Mail International Economy mail is still a sea mail service as it is advertised as taking up to 3 months to Australia.

Most postal services around the world are so rarely using sea mail that it is a given that economy services are economy airmail.   If you want the slow boat service you have to ask specifically for it.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Well, how ever the super cheap Economy shipping got to me last year and this year, it got to me safely and in both cases in under a month. The one this year via economy took 3 weeks!

The DVD cost around $4 Us to ship to me. With USPS First Class Int., it would have cost around  US$10 to $13 or so. With Pitney Bowes GSP it  would have cost around US $20 or more and then an additional amount of around US $7 import duty.

Having a safe and secure PO box makes Economy shipping an option.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

i have economy mail  come in 3 weeks.   and it is safe shipping .

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Hi dvd.horder, are you talking about from the US or the UK? My economy stuff has come from the US, 3 to 4 weeks. I'm trying to remember if anything of mine via economy has come from Europe.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply