why do people bid days befoe an auction finishes

why are buyers so stupid bidding on items days before an auction finishes, do they know what a auction is? you bid just before it finishes that the thrill of bidding, then you whinge when you have paid $100s more than normal, start bidding 5 mins before the auction finishes then you might get a bargin,

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I sometimes bid many days before an auction end because I feel I will be the only bidder and may not be on the computer at auction end.

image host
Message 2 of 57
Latest reply

I often put a bid in early - but its rarely anymore than the next bid increment - just feels better to me than hitting it with my first and only real bid in the last two seconds - which is what i do if i really want something 🙂

Message 3 of 57
Latest reply

wow, great way to put members offside from the get go . . . . . labelling those that bid days out from auction end as being stupid.

Well, stupid me will sometimes bid early in an auction to ensure that it is on my bidding list.  This ensures that I will receive a reminder from eBay close to the auction ending.  

Stupid me will sometimes bid early to get rid of a Buy-It-Now price on the listing, thus ensuring it goes to auction only and maybe getting it cheaper than the buy-now price.

Stupid me will place an early bid just for fun.  Sometimes I will bid an amount that I know will get outbid because I just enjoy bidding on auctions.

Sometimes I bid early to expose shill bidding.  Recently, on another of my IDs, I did bid $59.99 on an item that was being shilled by the seller.  My bid forced his bid to show as $60.00.  Then, a day later he withdrew his bid and bid again at $59 which revealed my bid.  I then messaged him and asked “are you really going to do this?” before outlining to him his previous shilled items and even identifying the ID he used to shill.  He had been stupid enough to follow himself with his shill ID and leave feedback for himself.  His shill ID history showed his previous ID name almost the same as his selling ID.  I also told him that if I won the item I would not pay, and that if he cancelled my bid I would report him.  He bid again then ended the auction to the current (himself) high bidder.  I did do that because I got a lot of satisfaction out of it. I also reported him for shill bidding.  It shut him down for a short while because he cancelled all his listings once he knew that someone was aware of what he was doing.

FDDBAA04-622D-412C-81E9-F2D74EDB32E5.jpeg

Message 4 of 57
Latest reply

Ha ha, we have people complaining when people bid early, we have other people complaining when people in the last few seconds. Go to a real live auction (in person) and you'll find they bid right at the start and carry on bidding until it's all over.

I've been disappointed when the seller got a good offer and sold the item before the auction finished, so if you really want something it pays to bid early.
Message 5 of 57
Latest reply

I imagine it is the bidder's own business when they bid

Message 6 of 57
Latest reply

Try using some online commercial auction sites to find out what real auctions are about.  If you think sniping on ebay is a great experience, why dont you just let a sniping tool do it for you.  Now you might like to consider why sellers set realistic starting prices  and no free post.  Ebay should be like genuine auction sites with last minute bids adding extra time

Message 7 of 57
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Try using some online commercial auction sites to find out what real auctions are about.  If you think sniping on ebay is a great experience, why dont you just let a sniping tool do it for you.  Now you might like to consider why sellers set realistic starting prices  and no free post.  Ebay should be like genuine auction sites with last minute bids adding extra time

no no no

That will only promote nibble bidding and be a test of “last man standing” rather than who is prepared to bid the highest amount in the allotted auction time.

Message 8 of 57
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Ebay should be like genuine auction sites with last minute bids adding extra time

Nope, they do it for some items on the NZ trade me site and buyers hate it.

If it was implemented on eBay there would be an even greater turndown on sales than there is now. As slr said it would only promote nibble bidding.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 57
Latest reply

@dvdmadchick wrote:

why are buyers so stupid bidding on items days before an auction finishes, do they know what a auction is? you bid just before it finishes that the thrill of bidding, then you whinge when you have paid $100s more than normal, start bidding 5 mins before the auction finishes then you might get a bargin,

You've made me feel a bit stupid as I just put in a bid for an item that still has about 12 hours to go.Smiley Tongue

Like you, I know the benefits of bidding later rather than earlier as I have been the victim of shilling before now, but it can go several ways really. If you get into a bidding war with small nibbles it's not worth it.

But these days not all auctions get a lot of bidders & sometimes it is more convenient to bid further out. I have people coming over soon so I'll be busy later on, so bidding a few hours early suits me. I find last second bidding stressful to be frank.

Also, if you put in your highest bid a few hours before, if there are opposing bids in the last seconds, you can often win over them.

For intance if you put in a high bid of $70 on something that is starting at $20, then the last minute bidders sometimes try 21, 25, 30, then 35 etc & the auction is over before they can go higher & there you are with the item at maybe $36 instead of the 70 you were actually prepared to spend. And some of the others may have been willing to go higher but outsmarted themselves by leaving it late.

It is what it is, just do what feels best for you I guess & don't worry about other people doing what suits them, especially if you feel it is to your benefit.

Message 10 of 57
Latest reply