why do people bid days befoe an auction finishes

why are buyers so stupid bidding on items days before an auction finishes, do they know what a auction is? you bid just before it finishes that the thrill of bidding, then you whinge when you have paid $100s more than normal, start bidding 5 mins before the auction finishes then you might get a bargin,

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Yes indeed 👍

Happy bidding out there 😆

Message 21 of 57
Latest reply

I only make 1 bid at what I am willing to pay for an item at the beginning of an auction as I don't have time with all the other auctions and wot not and because I know what the item is worth to me and if I win it then good on me and if in the end I don't win then good on the winner simple.

I don't play games 1 bid that's it,easy come easy go Woman Very Happy

Message 22 of 57
Latest reply

Snap, Kollector.  That's exactly my sentiments.

Spoiler
 And also I forget to get back there in time and I miss the whole shebang!
Message 23 of 57
Latest reply

I also forget so I put my maximum bid on right from the start. If it's something I want but don't need, I'll often put a bid on early in the hope that someone else will outbid me.

Deciding on my maximum bid and then walking away means I don't get tempted to go higher. The only time I bid at the last minute is when I REALLY want something, or when combining postage can save me a lot of money and I need to know how much I've already won (to know whether I've filled a satchel or not).

I can read English but I'm not sure what language jist is. It's definitely not in any of my dictionaries. Gist is, of course.

Interesting... before I edited this, the gremlins took out my paragraphs so it was all squashed together.  

Message 24 of 57
Latest reply

@garcullu-0wrote:
Well this is the internet not finishing school, and unless you can't read English i can't see the problem, now back to the issue at hand, not grammar lessons 😒

I know what you mean; there's certainly a tendency on the internet, and in text messages, to communicate as quickly as possible, disregarding capitals, punctuation, or full spelling.

Bear with me - I have to make an admission before I add anything else. I'm (sob) a bit, just a bit, of a grammar Nazi.

Not manically so - in that I don't shoot people for misusing standard communication (grammar, spelling, correct definition, etc.) - and I tend not to correct them for so doing, but inwardly I may wince just a tad.

Occasionally I may have to ask for a clarification, when the misuse of the communication tortures the poor sentence so severely that it's not clear what the meaning is.

However, I myself am consistent in using punctuation and correct spelling and so on when I communicate; I do this even when texting. The English language with all its complexities and the very story of its history written in our words is (in my opinion) gorgeous, and it does seem to me a painful thing when language is abused due to bad habits or a sort of mental laziness. (Not all misspellings or abuses of semi-colons are due to such things, admittedly. Someone who's coping with literacy issues is to be commended for communicating as best he/she can; children in the process of learning the rules shouldn't be beaten when a comma is misused; typographical errors shouldn't be pounced on to humiliate the person who wrote or typed them; and so on.)

Now that that's out of the way, I want to comment on the major reason why I think you may want to reconsider how you approach internet communication. That is, communications online are not less likely to suffer from the same problems plaguing communication in general. In fact, I consider that they are actually more likely to be affected.

The major purpose of communication is to communicate - clearly, unambiguously. There are other purposes, of course. The "tone" of a communication passes on information as an adjunct to the main piece of information being transmitted. Text has sub-text. Even the particular word chosen may have a connotation which communicates meaning beyond a strict definition of the word. Sometimes the words and the way in which they're strung together communicate not just a bare meaning but also something about the person speaking. Sometimes communication is something greater than its disparate parts.

Clarity is needed for day-to-day communication. Online, we run the risk of being misinterpreted through the lack of the usual non-verbal communication cues that we give and receive in face-to-face communication. Hence, it's all the more important to make sure that the person to whom we direct our communication knows where the sentence ends, which is the noun, whether a word is acting as a verb or an adjective or something else (as may be the case), where the speaker's thought changes, and so on. It's even necessary (I think) to avoid lumping the communication in such a gluggy wordberg that it becomes very difficult for the reader to disentangle.

Message 25 of 57
Latest reply

I really enjoyed the article. .and never in a million years i expected this kind of witch hunt concerning the way i wrote my comment.
I understand that it was crammed and a little hazy to the eye, but at least the spelling was fine.
Someone else went on about the use of the word "jist", come on you really haven't heard of that term?
I feel bullied to an extent of how so many comments have taken out time on my post and not the topic discussed.
If it's any conciliation I've learnt from this experience, hence the improvement on this actual comment!.. ( but i doubt it's still good enough )
So fair enough maybe i asked for a post bashing, but i never really expected such an animate backlash from people, i actually thought i was on Facebook for a moment!

Further more all these comments are on here forever, so i will have to live with my epic mistake of posting in a style that made me look illiterate if not bright, which is not the case.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but there's a fine line when it totally hi-jacks a forum and goes off topic and becomes a **bleep** take at other people's expense, in this case mine.
Message 26 of 57
Latest reply

Gist not jist..that'll ruin those comebacks on that one.
But seriously back off now, this is getting old and very juvenile.
Message 27 of 57
Latest reply

Yes me again but i have discovered something very interesting.
The title of this forum has a spelling error 😁
Yes it does as the word "before" is spelt wrong.
Was this person punished by the ebay community grammar Nazis?

I'm sure the member who sleeps with his dictionaries and fears gremlins probably missed that one. 😁
But seriously i do find after all these discussions it is somewhat ironically hilarious if you get my Jist..err i mean Gist 😉
Message 28 of 57
Latest reply

Grammar and punctuation are different things. Spelling is different again.

eBay only allows 5 minutes for a post to be edited; after that it is set in stone.

I fixed it for you, but. As long as you don't insist on always replying to the OP.

Message 29 of 57
Latest reply

Thankyou for fixing the term Jist to Gist as I've gone throughout my life thinking it was spelt with a "J"..I'm serious.
But come on the title of the forum is spelt wrong and i find that very funny indeed.
You can act like an Oxford scholar all you want but I'm right on that one and you know it.
Message 30 of 57
Latest reply