why do people bid days befoe an auction finishes

why are buyers so stupid bidding on items days before an auction finishes, do they know what a auction is? you bid just before it finishes that the thrill of bidding, then you whinge when you have paid $100s more than normal, start bidding 5 mins before the auction finishes then you might get a bargin,

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Promises, promises.

Just remember when a transaction goes pearshaped the boards are the place to get quick and constructive help.

The help provided by ebay is just about useless.

Message 41 of 57
Latest reply

@garcullu-0wrote:
Yes me again but i have discovered something very interesting.
The title of this forum has a spelling error 😁
Yes it does as the word "before" is spelt wrong.
Was this person punished by the ebay community grammar Nazis?

I'm sure the member who sleeps with his dictionaries and fears gremlins probably missed that one. 😁
But seriously i do find after all these discussions it is somewhat ironically hilarious if you get my Jist..err i mean Gist 😉

OP wasn't boasting about their spelling prowess or their English skills, and it was obviously a typo anyway.

Some of us don't need to sleep with dictionaries because we know how to spell already.  The problem is the people who have three spelling errors in one post but claim they know how to spell.

Message 42 of 57
Latest reply

Oh my hero and got a Kudo too 👏
Message 43 of 57
Latest reply

You're back,that was a short trip.

That's it hang in there and if ever in doubt click spell check- ABC.

Message 44 of 57
Latest reply

@garcullu-0wrote:
The only good thing about early bidding is it will keep the item there because sometimes the seller will pull the item if no bids are made before the last 12 hours and most bidders will place a bid before that time line, but the main disadvantage of early bidding is ( and here's that word! ) stupid bidders will feel attracted to an item that has a bid just like two kids fighting over a toy that no one was playing with, it's just human psychology that someone must have something if someone else wants it, this behavior drives up the price and in some cases creates a bidding war which is by far very stupid indeed, if you get outbid early then just ignore it and rebid on the last couple of minutes to get a jist of where the highest bid lays and then get ready for another rebid on the last seconds.

I've sometimes wondered the same thing because I have occasionally seen ads disappear the day before they were due to finish.

It makes me wonder then if they somehow had a private offer via a message (which should not happen but I suspect it does in some cases).

But even if the ad is pulled simply from disappointment that they have not received any bids, I am not sure if one bid would halt them, because chances are, if they are that rattled about waiting an extra 12 hours for the ad to close down naturally, then the problem is probably with the asking price. They are scared stiff they may get one bid and have to sell at the original asking price.

So if yours is the only bid, they could still finish the ad by claiming the item was no longer available or damaged or whatever.

I find most things I look at on ebay these days are buy it now, but with auctions, I sometimes bid several hours before, sometimes closer to the end but like you, I am not interested in a bidding war, going up by small increments days or hours out from the end of an auction.

Message 45 of 57
Latest reply

Hi there,

Obviously I'm aware that you wrote the message above 4 years ago now but I still thought that I'd respond to it, nonetheless...

That was a great response & you're clearly an erudite person, not to mention very ethical, each of which I respect greatly...although I probably shouldn't speak on behalf of someone else I don't even know, I'm thinking that perhaps he/she is referring to the people who bid well before the conclusion of an auction numerous times, always desperate to remain the highest bidder? I know that I always wonder why so many people are so desperate to do this & it was precisely this curiosity that led me to this thread in the first place!

Although I'm a long-time 'sniper', dating back to early 2009, I also occasionally find myself placing an early bid to either remind myself of the auction by having it placed at the top of my Watch List every single time that I look at it after having done so, as well as erasing the possibility of someone purchasing it via the B-I-N option, if one exists for the item, of course.

And finally, AWESOME work with the shill bidder, campionissimo!! BRAVO!! If only more people were as aware AND proactive as you clearly are!

Cheers & best wishes from sunny "Down Under"...Matt.

Message 46 of 57
Latest reply

100% SPOT-ON once again, my friend!! Massive respect to you...

Message 47 of 57
Latest reply

So your additional, pertinent information to this thread is what?

Yes, it's years old. Yes, it should have been left to rest in peace. No, your observations are irrelevant. As was the original question.

Message 48 of 57
Latest reply

**bleep**?!?! Who - & how - in God's name could I possibly have offended with what I wrote, that has quite clearly riled you so freaking much, dude?! 

Too funny...have a great weekend...mjf.

Message 49 of 57
Latest reply

@lavielemond wrote:

And finally, AWESOME work with the shill bidder, campionissimo!! BRAVO!! If only more people were as aware AND proactive as you clearly are!

Cheers & best wishes from sunny "Down Under"...Matt.

Matt, one of the problems with posting on old threads is that eBay policies change, eBay changes . . . and that is the case with what I was able to do with the shill bidder. 

When I did the ‘shill spoil’, members were able to see who was following sellers through their feedback profile.  The actual IDs and feedback numbers of followers were visible, making it easy to make connections.  That is no longer possible, meaning that I would not be able to work out the ID of a shill account used by a seller.  I still believe that shill sellers will follow their shill bidding account (and vice versa), it just isn’t clear nowadays.

Also, members used to be able to see the previous IDs used by other members, but this was stopped some time back, probably for privacy reasons.

That is what makes eBay changes so frustrating.  In order to protect the privacy of members they have removed the ability for members to do some sleuthing to uncover shill bidding.  I was able to provide item numbers for shilled listings, ID names of the shilling bid accounts and absolute proof that accounts were connected in some way.

Sunny down under . . . so sunny and warm here in Mildura these last few days that I’ve had the air con running!

Message 50 of 57
Latest reply