why is postage so expensive

why are some things so expensive to post are some sellers just profiting from posatge I avoid them and dont like how some charge for postage It is fast becoming a scam

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: why is postage so expensive

As a seller I only charge the cost of postage plus the cost of packaging and handling and any other charges like Registered post or signature on delivery, both services cost around $3.00 on top of other postage, packaging and handling costs.

Yes I do agree, postage is very expensive in Australia - however I think you will find that most sellers do the right thing by their buyers.

Buyers in doubt about postage costs should contact the seller and ask.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .......sorry

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Just trying to save the comma, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc 

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Sell something on Ebay then and only then will you have a true idea about postage costs.

My son sold his first item on Ebay $14.95 with free post.

After fees $2.25 and postage small parcel $6.95 packaging $1.05 he made $4.75 

So dont blame the seller blame Australia Post 

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

gkam2
Community Member

I would suggest that you check your own feedback before you start accusing other sellers of overcharging on shipping.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

I bought a pair of shoes The postage was 9.00 I thought ok they must be going to wrap them  well When they arrived they were no wrapped at all and in a garbage bag  I checked on the postage and it would have cost 6.00 Ok that is only three dollars more I  just dont see how so many charge extra for packing and travelling and post so many items at the same time To me it just sounds like making a profit from postage

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Just curious as to where you got the $6.00 from? As far as I am aware the cheapest possible postage for a parcel in Australia is $6.95 and that is with no packaging and handling included, that is just postage. To get that rate you have to use an Au Post/Ebay satchell and the cost of the satchell is around 15c.

I'd love to know if I could get it cheaper, my customers would definitely benefit!

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Unless you have really tiny teeny feet, no pair of shoes will fit into a 500g eBay satchel.

The smallest possible will be the 3kg - sells as paid for on click and send for $10.55 - and that is standard with no reg. etc

Surely buyers take into consideration the postage costs before they hit BIN or CONFIRM ??

If not = consider this - next time you go to the store to purchase from BM - petrol, TIME- traffic, queues, waiting,

- against - click BIN and sit back an relax.

Just a thought..

extrakeen - not replying to you, just always hit the closest 'reply' button LOL (lazy)

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

This goes back to my initial reply - whether the OP KNOWS what postage costs or feels they know what it SHOULD cost.

Any parcel under 500g costs $6.95 to post, regardless of packaging. It's just that the satchels through C&S use proper tracking.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

zuezone
Community Member

Yes there are people trying the postage scam. I made a bid on a ring and won it only to find out that what I thought I read was $9 postage was $90...for a ring coming from interstate!!!  When I questioned if it was a typo she was honest enought to say no, i did that to avoid paying ebay fees, yet she wouldn't cancel my purchase....but rather chose to ignore me when I asked her to cancel the transaction.  I now see that others have made similar complaints to her because this is a practice she has done many many times...pretty much on all that she sells.  So be aware!!!!  **bleep** is a dishonest seller. When will people learn they cannot try and make more profit and not pay fees. Make the starting fee higher and let us decide how much we wish to pay for an item and keep ebay honest!

@flatoutharry wrote:

why are some things so expensive to post are some sellers just profiting from posatge I avoid them and dont like how some charge for postage It is fast becoming a scam

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply